1 Foot Component Video Cables - where to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roger Kint, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

I just need about one more foot for my component video cable length and looks like I'll need to use an extension since the existing 6' cable is stuck behind my 236 lb Sony T and I can't really get at it.

Who makes a 1 foot extension? I'm looking for something like Rhino standard series or better.

2. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    You mean a 1 foot cable that you'll join to your 6' cable via a coupler? There are probably a bunch of places that cut cables to order. For example, bluejeans cable (they sell on eBay and they have a website). They use the same type of cable (Belden 1694A) as Rhino standard. I don't know if coupling 2 different cables causes any signal loss, however.

3. Roger Kint

Yes I need to connect the cables to make the overall length longer. I was hoping to get an 'extension' where one end is male and the other is female so I won't need a coupler.

I'm thinking I'll need to get it custom made since this is a pretty specific cable. I'll look into BlueJeans cable, are there any others that custom make cables?

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

It's your call, but I'd get a friend or two to help me move the TV, and just go out and pick up a 10 foot length. But if you're dead set on 7' total, you'll pay for that convenience.

5. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I agree with CHU. Your best option, performance wise would be to move the TV and replace the whole cable.

6. Roger Kint

Yes, you guys are right. The more I think about it and hate to do it(move the tv), I think that'd be the best option in the long run. Ugh.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If I could chime in here: [​IMG]
    The problem with connecting 2 cables together is NOT signal loss.
    The problem is "Impedence".
    The video signals expect to see a uniform 75 ohm pathway to your TV. And the higher the frequency, the more sensitive the signals will be to this.
    Your video signals will hit that extra RCA barrel connector or male-female connector and it wont be exactly 75 ohms. Some of your higher frequency signals will "stub their toe" on the connection and reflect back into the cable and will emerge later as an "extra" signal. This can cause color shifts, bluring, ghosting, etc.
    So you do really want a single, un-broken cable for video. Audio, CATV - different story. But video..you have to worry about a un-broken path.
    Good Luck.

8. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

try heartlandcables they are very affordable