What's new

1-chip LCOS display impressions (1 Viewer)

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all! just had the priviledge of viewing pre-production 44inch LCOS set from a manufacturer. Great potential for video quality. The picture they demonstrated was a Men in Black II loop. Source was a cheap dvd hooked up via a composite connection.

Set did not looked optomized. Blacks looked "blotchy". I guess it was due to the poor connection and source. But the picture, if calibrated, and using the best source possible would probably have yielded a substantially better picture. (They intentionally used the worse case scenario to demonstrate what their set can do even with the worse sources.) I say this because the picture had a lot of "snap" to it, and though the blacks looked "blotchy", they looked well...black. There is one major flaw I noticed and you may get an indication of what it might be with the description of how this particular set works.

The light engine was a single chip design, basically a UHP Lamp shining through a series of lenses and rotating prisms representing each base color and reflected of the LCOS panel.

Now after the whole presentation was over we had open forum.
And I opened a whole can of worms with a question. I was seated about 15-18 feet away directly in front of the set mind you. What was the question you may ask? well this is what I asked .... "Concerning the rotating prisms...would there be different levels of performance as the technology matures?" I asked this question because when I first walked into the room and saw the set I thought I was looking at a DLP RPTV. I was subject to front projectors the whole day of training from vendor presentations from so i thought my eyes were just subjected to too much DLP. I had to ask if this set was a DLP based set.I had a splitting headache by the way.

You may have guessed what I saw. Thats right RAINBOWS.
not small instantaneous streaks. but wide bars of instantaneous streaks. In the mailroom scene where Will smith recruits tommy lee jones back into MIB, I caught them the most in the suit. The rep stated that I wasnt the only one who saw them and he seemed like he anticipated someone like me opening their big mouth. Apparently someone spotted them in the previous days sessions. One by one everbody else started seeing them. THATS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF "IF NOBODY POINTS THEM RAINBOWS OUT THEY WONT CATCH THEM" Lets just say I could not stand looking at the set cause of my headache. it was not the set's fault. i already had one starting to grow in my head. The LCOS set just finished me off. I asure you excedrin was on had afterward.

Other than the above ...i would like to state that there is a lot of upside to this technology. and just like dlp's color wheel, speed is key with the prisms. or just have three panels! THIS WAS A PREPRODUCTION UNCALIBRATED INTENTIOAL WORSE CASE CONNECTION/SOURCE SET. AND I AM VERY SENSITIVE TO THE RAINBOW EFFECT AN GET HEADACHES EASILY.

thats it from me!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks