What's new

1 afternoon in LA, suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Dan Mc

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, it looks like I'll have one afternoon to spend in LA with the wife and 2 small kids on next Wednesday (6/29). Any suggestions? We'll have a car. When are the hours that I don't want to be on the freeway?

We'll be originating in Long Beach, so anywhere around there would be good. Here are some idea's I've got so far, any personal experiences with these?

Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach? Queen Mary?

Head over to one of the beaches, Manhatten looks closest? Any other good ones around Long Beach, with a boardwalk (shops/restaurants)?

Would it be worth trying to see some of Hollywood? What's parking like there in the middle of the day?

Any other thoughts? This will be our first time in LA, we'll make another trip to do Disney and all when the kids are a little older. It just sort of worked out this way, and we just want to get a taste of LA in one afternoon.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit

Any of them. I've been stuck dead on the 405 at 11:00 PM.

Don't bother with the Walk of fame if you have little kids, they will be bored.

The places you mention are good, you might also consider Santa Monica. The pier and the promenade are a good day trip. Not more than 30 mins from where you'll be.

Bill

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If the aforementioned 405 cooperates. :) Long Beach itself has some nice seaside shopping, too, and Huntington Beach is nice as well.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If you want to do something movie related DEFINITELY catch a movie at the Arclight - reserved seats, HUGE screen.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
As Robert stated there is just enough to do in and around Long Beach's seaside. Shoreline Village, Queen Mary, Ports O' Call. There is Belmont Shore(2nd St./Ocean Blvd). Ocean Blvd. has gondola rides though the channels of Naples Island. This is about as family oriented as Long Beach gets.

For a less glossy shopping experience, there is the wonderful little Art District on 4th st. Check out the king-sized Roscoe's Chicken n' Waffles on Broadway. Forget Starbuck's, Long Beach has the best coffee-houses in L.A, IMO.

To really discover L.A. Proper, you may want to take a few days. There is just too much there to experience.

Long Beach though, is a tinge more laid-back, a bit more spread out and easy to hit several locations in a day. A great historical city but tends to cater more to singles.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
With just an afternoon, it's better to stick around Long Beach. I'm sure the kids will enjoy the aquarium the most.

~T

Dan Mc

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the tips guys, you really can't tell much from the different websites, it's nice to have some local opinions. We'll probably just take it easy and stick around Long Beach. This will be the first leg in an 1800 mile road trip, so we need to keep the stress low. Wish us luck. If we make it back, I'll let you know how it went.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

Then stay off the freeways as much as you can.

I worked in Long Beach for a year and would say the Queen Mary is the best attraction. If you like the 30s and art deco it's incredible.Then go eat in Belmont shores as previously posted.

I found before I started to drive back to San Francisco by checking the KCBS traffic site I could always find a way around the traffic getting out of LA unless it was North on the 5 where you have no choice.
Good Luck on your trip
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks