1-800-DENTIST.... ever use 'em?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Poehlman, May 16, 2005.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Apparently my insurance has changed and I need to change dental providers.

So, I'm hunting around on the 'net for a resource that rates dentists based on patient testimony and I come across www.1800dentist.com. Well, their website initially sounds like what I'm looking for but can't seem to locate any dentists in my area. So, I call the phone number....

Well, I speak to an operator and give her my information She finds someone who's not really in my network, but I take the information anyway. I explained to her that I was looking for more of a "Rate-em" type site and she explains that all of their dentists have to meet their strict guidelines to get listed with 1-800-DENTIST. But, the more I spoke to her, the more I felt like I was getting more of a sales pitch rather than helpful information.

Anyone have a good/bad experience using 1-800-DENTIST?
    Anyone know of a site like the one I'm looking for? I've seen them around for doctors.. but can't find anything for dentists.

Perhaps I'm just too picky about my dentist... but, I've had some bad dentists in my day... let me tell ya.

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I think the best way to locate a good dentist is the ol' tried and true method. . .just ask around. Talk to coworkers (best since they share the insurance), neighbors, friends, etc. I found my very good dentist by chance (picked someone out of the directory that happened to work near where I lived), but I haven't hesitated to recommend him to others. Everyone else thinks he's great as well.

I guess the thing is, do you know exactly what it is you want and don't want out of a dentist? You can always arrange an "interview" appt and just talk to the person for a few minutes before deciding if that's the dentist for you.

I know for me, I really wanted someone who practiced solo, or maybe with one other person. I can't stand large practices where you feel like you're just another number. So the person I found runs his own practice. Since it's so small he knows everyone and eventhough I only go for cleanings every 6 mos, he still remembers my occupation, my husband's name, etc. When we chat, he actually listens and remembers. That, I give a huge [​IMG]

Other things that were important to me were things like his view on unnecessary procedures, like whitening. I know dentists profit greatly on things like that, so I didn't want to feel pressured into getting something I didn't want. In otherwords, I didn't want a salesman for a dentist. So when I asked him outright about doing unnecessary cosmetic procedures, he actually told me he doesn't recommend them and won't do them unless the person REALLY wants them done. I've never even been asked about anything outside of routine care and it's great. Plus, he's quite flexible and when I chipped my tooth a while back, he fixed it all up for free. He said he appreciated my business and wanted to give something back. Wow.

Anyway, so there's nothing wrong with just walking in and asking him/her his opinion on things that matter to you. Hopefully, you'll find someone you really like.

Ah, and after all that, I guess I didn't really answer your question since I know nothing about 1800dentists. I've always viewed them as a scam or something, but have no personal experience to base my opinion on.

3. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

My perception is that 800-dentist is a lot like the (insert state name here) dental association. It's an association that the practitioner pays dues to (like a club) and can use their moniker and advertisement assistance.

Mort

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    visit the 1-800-dentist website. i was going to use their website to find a dentist, but it did not work, no matter what area of the country i tried, and the annoying cartoon kept telling me to call 1-800-dentist. it's the best example of a flashy website with absolutely no content. just based on the website, i'd never call the number.

CJ

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yes. IF they can't pay he monthly listing fee THEY'RE OUTA HERE! [​IMG]

Cynical? Me?

I agree with asking around for recommendations.