1-800-CONTACTS is awesome!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael*K, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I've been wearing contact lenses ever since high school. Started with extended wear (bad experience) moved to daily wear (a big improvement) and finally graduated to disposables about three years ago. Last year, my eye exam showed a slight astigmatism and my eye doctor suggested I try disposable toric lenses. The toric lenses are shaped just a little differently to prevent the lens from rotating on the eye. The drawback is that the toric lenses were much more expensive...taking me from $25 a box to $60 a box (each box has three pairs of lenses.) My eye doctor was great, letting me try sample pairs from several different manufacturers. I finally settled on Bausch & Lomb Softlens 66 lenses, which I dispose of every two weeks. I decided to order a four month supply of lenses (four boxes actually) just to see if I liked them over a longer period of time. They set me back $240. And here's where the story gets interesting.
    I called my eye doctor in late April to tell them I wanted to order an additional six months worth of lenses. I was told that he no longer worked at the practice. I found out a few days later from a former clerk there that the doctor was let go for "devoting too much time to his patients." [​IMG] It pissed me off, because he'd helped me out a lot. I decided not to give the practice my lens business and I looked around. I checked 1-800-CONTACTS and was surprised to find that my lenses were $31 a box...that's almost 50% less than the eyecare practice was charging me. When I ordered 8 boxes, they knocked off another $20, so my total order was $228. That's $12 less than I paid for half the number of boxes at the doctor's office. There was no shipping charge and no sales tax. And I had the lenses in three days. I'm sold! [​IMG] This is the way online businesses should be run, even though I have no idea what their profit margin is. [​IMG] I just don't want them to go under. [​IMG]

2. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Congrats on finding them....only place I've ever bought, or plan on buying, my lenses from.

Chris

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I've bought almost all my lenses from 1-800 C, except the first time I went in. They're quick and worked fine for me. My price differences aren't as big as yours, my lenses (B&L Optima FX) aren't that much to begin with, like $27 for 6 lenses. Did you get to use the $20 rebate.. I forget where I got that from, I think from th Renu lens cleaner that I use, but it gives you $20 rebate when you buy like 4 boxes or more..

Jay

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Don't know about a separate rebate. The $20 is automatically deducted from the subtotal once it reaches $230.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Michael, the rebate wasn't from 1-800 contacts but was from Bausch & Lomb. You had to cut out the 4 UPC codes and mail it in to B&L. I think I found it in a Renu bottle a couple months ago but it might not be active anymore.. I noticed that you bought B&L lenses so I mentioned it. [​IMG]
    Jay

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Yep I dont need contacts but my wife is about blind without them [​IMG]
    Since we first tried 1800-contacts we have never gone back to buying them locally. Great shipping and the same product for a whole lot less. Its a shame when her vision hasnt changed but she has to go in and get a new prescription before 1800 contacts will send more, but what a small inconvenience to save so much money [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Or you could get gas-permeable (semi-rigid) contacts. More expensive, but a single pair can last years. And they can provide some astigmatism correction.

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Sorry, Dave I know that some people swear by their gas permeables, but there is something psychologically (if not physically) fuflfilling about putting in a fresh, crystal clear pair of lenses every two weeks. [​IMG]

9. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

I compared prices of many contact places, and Vision Direct was pretty much tops. 1-800-Contacts wasn't even close. They couldn't even match my local Target's price. Actually, Vision Direct didn't even beat out Target until you factor in more than one box (due to paying for shipping). Check out Vision Direct and your local Target store. Once I started calling around, Walmart, Sears, you name it, and looking online, Target's prices were downright shocking.

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    To each there own, but

11. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Glad Vision Direct was the answer for you Brad. For me however, they weren't even close in price to 1-800-CONTACTS. The lenses were three bucks a box less at 1-800 and that's even before factoring in the multi-box discount. And shipping there is free as well. The only perk that Vision Direct was offering was a free lens case...big deal, I already have 20 of them.