1.78:1 on the fly?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny G, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

I was just wondering if this would be a long term soultion to dual WS & P&S DVD releases for those uneducated in the advantages of OAR.

Here in the UK, 16:9 sets are pretty much the norm for DVD viewers and I would think it would get that way in the USA in a few years so I'm talking about when they start Panning & Scanning 2.35:1 films to 1.78:1 rather than the current situation.

I know Pan & Scan on the fly is a bad solution because (I believe, tell me if I'm wrong) it only shows the central portion of the picture, hence worse than P&S (if there could be such a thing).

However I've found so many people with 16:9 TVs that hate black bars so much, if a film is 2.35:1, they'd rather buy the Pan & Scan version & stretch to fit, making everyone short & fat.

The solution I'm thinking is using a kind of P&S on the fly which would allow them to crop the edges & fill the screen just as some WS TVs will zoom to do the same thing but without losing picture quality.

I know this still means only the central section is shown but it must be better than what they currently do.

We've all heard of people with 4:3 TVs setting their players to 16:9 to avoid black bars, making everyone tall & skinny, well this is even worse in my opinion.

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Actually P&S on the fly also allows for panning, but maybe not as smoothly as the real thing, and there are also a resolution loss, which is the main reason why studios do not generally do it.

I also believe how P&S on the fly works, is that it essentially displays a anamorphic 16:9 frame unstretched on a 4:3 television, but zooms in, therefore a similar 'built-in' function may not work on 16:9 TV's, P&S on the fly is not a straight forward zoom anyway.

3. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Those people should just use the ZOOM function (which is normally used for zooming in on non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's) on their Widescreen TV's.
    The image will look stretched, but the image will be filling the 16:9 screen.......and that's wat they want. [​IMG]

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

As you said-- it displays an anamorphic image and cropps the sides by zooming in. Therefor, the question the original poster posed- it would be possible to basically make a 16x9 non-anamorphic image from zooming a 2.35:1 that had been "pan and scanned on the fly".

This would be the same as using a TV zoom function essentially.

-Vince

5. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

The thing I have never understood about all these arguments against P&S on-the-fly is that the people that P&S is aimed at supposedly don't care what is being lost, they only want to see their screen filled. This gives them exactly what their spokes-people (Wal-Mart is the only close thing I can think of) say they want.

6. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

Exactly Lee,

as well as not even knowing how to set their player up properly, they don't even care

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Firstly, please everyone be aware that P/S on the fly is 100% capable of following a "center of action" marker that is coded on the disc. Yes, it can pan and scan and isn't stuck just zooming to the center of the frame. Scary how these myths get started!

9. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    They're already doing this on HBO HDTV. Many 2.35:1 films are P&S'd to 1.78:1 in high def.