What's new

1:66 on 16x9 TV (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
One problem with 16x9 sets is widescreen movies which
are not 16x9.Then you get a large window box effect.

While comparing The tcm's showing of The comformist(1:66?)
to the Japanese 16x9 dvd,I noticed cropping of some
of the picture,on the top and Bottom of the dvd,

It was a little,
nothing like the cropping on the Apocalype now dvd
But still it bothered me.
I noticed that the first three James Bond films are
a little tight in 16X9 and would be better in 1.66:1

But can they fix this with some kind of window boxing
in the 16x9 version?
Same is true with the 16x9 Dr Strangelove,I am not
sure whats correct with this,but I end up watching in 16x9
because thats what my TV is

Peter

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, a lot of 1.66:1 films are correctly presented a 1.66:1 anamorphic. A Hard Day's Night (Miramax), Dr. Strangelove (40th anniv 2-disc), Mary Poppins, The Crawling Eye (Image Entertainment European Edition), Friendly Persuasion (yes, WB has used 1.66:1 16x9!), F for Fake (Criterion), Mickey's Christmas Carol (Mickey in Color Vol. 2), etc.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Exactly, Mark. My Malata's zoom feature makes A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon look great on my 16:9 TV. :D

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I'm finally going to try and track down a player with variable zoom. I know a few of the well-known Malata models are out of production. Can anyone recommend a brand and/or vendor for this purpose?

Any help is appreciated.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Michael,

Is there a better way to handle non-16:9 enchanced 1.66:1 on a 16:9 RPTV? By better way I mean not just simply watching in windowboxed.

I got the impression people were using variable zoom from a player to back the picture out a little when using the TV's proportinate zoom typically used for non-16:9 enhanced 1.85:1 material.

Please enlighten me! :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, what's the problem with using zoom to increase the size of a windowboxed 1.66:1 so that it's properly pillarboxed on a widescreen set?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I think he thought that the "zoom" comment was about blowing up a pillar-boxed 1.66:1 to crop the top/bottom to get rid of the bars on the sides.

This thread is sort of confusing because half the time people are talking about 4x3 1.66:1 and the other half they are talking about 16x9 1.66:1 and it's never clear when it's switching back and forth.

Here's how the world ought to be:

All 1.66:1 movies get transfered in 16x9 and preserve OAR with small vertical pillarboxing bars on the left/right.

But for those that don't (Warner Brothers...ggrrrr)....

It would be cool if DVD players and 16x9 display had a special "1.66:1 zoom" mode for 4x3-letterboxed-1.66:1 DVDs from so rather than watching the movie with black on all 4 sides on your 16x9 display or the standard 1.85:1 zoom wich would crop noticable picture off the top/bottom of the 1.66:1 image, they could just zoom it to the point where the 1.66:1 image touches the top/bottom of the screen leaving a small left/right pillarboxing bar of unused horizontal space.

That's the "good zooming" that's being talked about.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if the new Clockwork Orange disc will be 16:9 enhanced? Has Warner finally caught up with other studios when it comes to proper handling of 1.66:1 material?

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks