What's new

1.66:1 anamorphic: how do I get it to work? (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I have a 48" Mitsubishi widescreen TV, and I know that 1.66:1 anamorphic DVDs are supposed to be displayed with bars on the sides, but this doesn't work with either of the discs I have in that ratio, Rear Window and The Ladykillers. How do I get this to work properly?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Most likely reason: Due to overscan on your TV the black side bars are off the screen.

The same question is raised with 1.85:1 anamorphic DVD movies, the difference from 16:9 (1.78:1) is so slight that the normal amount of overscan puts the thin top and bottom black areas off the screen.

If you have the Video Essentials, AVIA, or other test DVD with a pattern that verifies overscan, you can adjust the amount of overscan. Be aware that after doing this you may also have to readjust convergence and linearity.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the tip, Allan. I do have the Digital Video Essentials DVD, and from their explanation and test pattern for overscan, it looks like I might want to adjust it. However, there doesn't seem to be anything in the TV menu system for that, and when I called Mitsubishi and asked them about overscan, they were completely flabbergasted and claimed to have no idea what I was talking about.

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator
Mitsu overscan can only be corrected in the service menu. Unless familiar, I would not attempt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks