1.66:1 anamorphic: how do I get it to work?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Haggai, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I have a 48" Mitsubishi widescreen TV, and I know that 1.66:1 anamorphic DVDs are supposed to be displayed with bars on the sides, but this doesn't work with either of the discs I have in that ratio, Rear Window and The Ladykillers. How do I get this to work properly?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Most likely reason: Due to overscan on your TV the black side bars are off the screen.

The same question is raised with 1.85:1 anamorphic DVD movies, the difference from 16:9 (1.78:1) is so slight that the normal amount of overscan puts the thin top and bottom black areas off the screen.

If you have the Video Essentials, AVIA, or other test DVD with a pattern that verifies overscan, you can adjust the amount of overscan. Be aware that after doing this you may also have to readjust convergence and linearity.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Thanks for the tip, Allan. I do have the Digital Video Essentials DVD, and from their explanation and test pattern for overscan, it looks like I might want to adjust it. However, there doesn't seem to be anything in the TV menu system for that, and when I called Mitsubishi and asked them about overscan, they were completely flabbergasted and claimed to have no idea what I was talking about.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Rear Window is a letterboxed-only transfer; it is not 16:9-encoded, but 4:3-encoded.

5. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

Mitsu overscan can only be corrected in the service menu. Unless familiar, I would not attempt.

6. George Gutt

George Gutt Auditioning

Psycho and Vertigo are letterboxed. Rear Window is anamorphic.