What's new

$1,600 worth of receivers useless? (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I have a Technics SH-AC500D DD decoder hooked up to an older Nakamichi reciever that cost $1100.

The problem seems to be that in DD mode, the bass from the subwoofer is about 25db less than it should be. The bass is there with the decoder in DTS and ProLogic.

It could cost well over $100 to get the decoder fixed.

I'm also using another older receiver that cost $500 to get make shift 6.1.

I would hate to have to box up $1,600 worth of receivers.

One thought is to get the Denon 3802 for $699 if it is still available.

Any tests I could do or any suggestions/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Artie
Thanks

Artie

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
You could get a new DVD player with built-in dd and dts decoders for fairly cheap. The DVD-A and SACD compatible DVD players have built-in DD and DTS decoding. They even have bass management on the newer models (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I saw some Sony SACD player with single disc DVD at Best Buy a few days ago. I can't remember the model number though, sorry.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
James

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post. The same thought occurred to me. I found a regular DVD player (no SACD or DVD-A or progressive scan) at Crutchfield for $180.

Someone else suggested using one of the less expensive receivers as a pre/pro.

I guess I'll just be treading water for a few more days.

Thanks

Artie

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Am not aware of any dvd player with a built in dts decoder in it. Panasonic built a few models with a built in DD decoder in them. But most dvd players only have the DD and DTS emblem on the front to say they are compatible. I would get the Denon reciever and a dvd player if you do not have one yet. You can get a 6.1 set up at a resonalbe price and get rid of your other gear, or just use it in another room? The Nakamichi is a nice peice for its day but I would upgrade it to something that is more upgradeable and has all the newest processor DD and DTS decoding. That is what I would recomend.

TomMadden

Agent
My older Sony DVP-S560D has a built-in DTS decoder. It decodes the DTS signal and pumps it out of the 6 analog 5.1 pre-amp out connectors on the back.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
No company has made a built-in decoder DVD player without DTS decoding for years. All the SACD and DVD-A machines feature this.
That is not entirely true. My Toshiba SD-5700 (as well as the 4700) have built-in Dolby Digital decoders, but no DTS decoder.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
James, Phil, Dave and anyone else who might be able to help. I picked up a DVD player with built in DD and DTS decoders. I am having trouble figuring out how to hook it up to my Nakamichi AV-1. The AV-1 was not specifically designed as a 5.1 compatible, but it does have pre-ins and main-outs for 5 channels. I think I can run the sub directly from the DVD player without going through the Nak.

Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Artie

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Arthur S
IMHO my recomendation is that if it has 5 channel in I would hook up you dvd player this way. I would also hook up your subwoofer to your reveiver so that you can utilize your sub for other formats. IE Satalite Dish, Laserdisc Player, Cable and VHS. I would also invest in a decent set of cables to hook up your dvd to your receiver. You could pick up some monster cables or check out bettercables.com.
Hope this is of some help Arthur :D

Hanwook_K

Stunt Coordinator
NO 5.1 Inputs
If the nakamachi does NOT have analog 5.1 inputs you can't use the internal decoders in the DVD player.
Internal DVD DTS/DD Decoders
Remember that when you get HDTV or digital cable, you will not be able to decode them using the DVD internal decoders - NO DVD player with decoders have digitial ins
Its time to upgrade
IMHO its time to lay out the bucks and upgrade, but I might wait a little longer until 7.1 is nailed down (that is directly from DTS and THX DD)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
So you were using the pass-through on the DD decoder with the 5.1 pre-outs / main ins on your original receiver. I was unaware of that nugget of information. Being unfamiliar with the Nakamichi receiver you are using I failed to make that connection. I apologize. In that case my advice was faulty. You can not use a DVD player with built-in DD/DTS decoding in this type of set-up. Once again, I am sorry for giving you bum onformation. I should have looked up your receiver but I just assumed that it was an older DD-ready piece like I've used in the past. :frowning:
Your best course of action may be to repair the DD decder or replace it wieh a similar item (Adcom GDD-1 has similar capabilities). Sorry.:frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

RichardMA

Second Unit
You can also pick up a used DD decoder of high quality,
from Adcom (as indicated), a Sony SPD-9ES, etc, and forgo
a whole new receiver. These show up on Ebay for around
$200. As for the 6 analog inputs on new receivers/SACD/DVD-A players, that method will be DEAD in a year and replaced
with single, digital connections. These have already appeared on upper end equipment such as Denon's AVR-5308
receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks