What's new

$ 1,498.88 52 inch HDTV any good? (1 Viewer)

Carol Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Friend in Flordia wants to know! BrandsMart, I guess it's local? has a 52 inch HDTV ready set with Guide+ I would say it's probably an RCA, is this a good price for this set? She doesn't care about squeeze tricks & etc she just thought if she was going to by a RPTV (A CHEAP ONE) it might as well be HDTV ready. Any thoughts? Also they had the 61 HDTV ready set for $ 1,798.88.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If it's not 16:9, don't waste your money. Why bother with an HDTV that's not the established native aspect ratio of the format?(Yes, I know there is no official format yet, but I'll be dollars to donuts when there is it'll be 16:9)
Jeff Kleist

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
A 16:9 RPTV is just a 4:3 RPTV with the raster squeezed down and a smaller screen placed on top. It is probably possible to squeeze down the raster on this set in service mode for 1080i. You'll then have HDTV in the correct aspect ratio with black letterbox bars at top and bottom. In a dark room, this doesn't bother me at all, and you can always add mattes, which would also benefit 16:9 sets, because virtually no movies are shot in 16:9 format. I suggest you do a search for this particular set in the "TV's and Projectors" part and see what its owners have said. If that price actually includes a HDTV receiver (I think it's a package deal with the DTC100), then that sure is cheap.
------------------
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I have no fear of 4:3 RP sets that implement a proper 16:9 mode. If designed correctly, you would get the full resolution of a smaller (a 46 inch or so) 16:9 set inside of a window on the 4:3 screen.
However, I have heard that this set does not have a 16:9 mode. Be careful on this one, and research it well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks