What's new

1/28/14: Question to Blu-Ray Enthusiasts Re: Jack Lemmon Movies on DVD (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Two Jack Lemmon movies scheduled for release on DVD tomorrow: April Fools and The War Between Men and Women.Do the BR enthusiasts say: "It's 2014, I'll only buy on BR (I'm done buying DVD)"?Or do the BR enthusiasts say: "This is probably the best way we'll ever get these films (I'll buy the DVD's)"?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Don't forget the DVD of Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me?

These CBS DVDs are of good quality and upconvert well enough. The likelihood of CBS releasing these on blu-ray is pretty remote. Not to mention CBS hasn't been releasing many blu-rays lately anyway. I bought all 3 of them.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Don't forget the DVD of Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me? These CBS DVDs are of good quality and upconvert well enough. The likelihood of CBS releasing these on blu-ray is pretty remote. Not to mention CBS hasn't been releasing many blu-rays lately anyway. I bought all 3 of them.
Technically, I did not forget; I did not know. That third title slipped past me. Thanks for the information.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Gotta take movies on a case-by-case basis. I think these particular Lemmon films are obscure enough that a blu-ray is unlikely...so I'd buy 'em now.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I still consider DVD to be a perfectly viable format (I'd better, as owner of over 1,500 of them). The best of them look as good to me as the just slightly below-average Blu-rays, which are legion. I do not buy as many of them anymore, but I certainly watch them a lot. If we throw out the bath water that is DVD's, the babies will go with it (hundreds of non-Blu-ray titles that may never get released again).

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
I remember The April Fools as a pretty good flick, and will buy that on DVD.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I tend to buy DVDs only when it's (in the words of The Godfather) "an offer I can't refuse." Case in point: cult favourite Josie and the Pussycats is unavailable on BD, and unlikely to become available anytime soon, so when it shows up in the Walmart $5 bin, I pick it up. It upscales nicely, especially in my Toshiba HD-A30, and if Universal decides at some point in time to release it on BD, I can make a decision to upgrade at that point.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While I usually prefer to hold out for a BD release, I will make exceptions if the price is right, I do not think a BD release is coming, and I have a desire to see the film. In the case of Mr. Lemmon, I picked up Under the Yum Yum Tree for these reasons just before Christmas.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My preference, along with a lot of others here is a Blu-Ray release.

I look at my own collection of just under 500 titles. About 300 Blu-Ray, about 200 DVD. At this point, I've upgraded every title that could be upgraded. Now realistically, of the remaining 200, I 'know' that at least half will, in today's world, never get a Blu-Ray release. And I'm not positive about the other half. I've mentally identified some that are probably going to get Blu, and some that are probably never going to be Blu (and been surprised a couple of times - It's In The Bag, Second Chorus, who knew?)

I also tend to look at who has released the DVD. If it is a MOD or Archive, there is less likelihood of a subsequent Blu-Ray release.

And if it is a new-to-DVD release, that also is a strong indicator that it won't be out of Blu.

So I have bought a few DVDs over the past year or two, but significantly less than I used to. But if I want to own a film, then I will purchase it.

David

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Dave -- have bought both dvds with the hope that, by some sheer miracle, "The April Fools" will not only end up on bluray, but hopefully include a 5.1 (or even 7.1) stereo remastering as it it is full of great music -- Bacharach/David songs, one of Marvin Hamlisch's earliest scores and numerous 1968 discotheque-era songs from people like The Chambers Brothers, Taj Mahal and others.

Plus it is a spectacular looking movie, certainly New York in the summer of 1968 never looked better -- no sign of the real life mayhem going on in the world during the making of this movie. The production design by Richard Sylbert is truly eyepopping and is amazing, even today.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
My favourite Jack Lemmon movies are Avanti!, Some Like it Hot and Bell Book and Candle. For me, 'The Front Page' always suffered in comparison with 'His Girl Friday' and I never cared for 'The Apartment' or 'Irma la Douce'. But these are personal preferences of course .. I'd like to hear what I'm missing re anything I haven't seen .. ie I have never seen 'Under hte Uym Yum Tree' or 'The April Fools' and obviously I should certainly seek out the latter since it also features the remarkable Catherine Deneuve!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The one I'd like to have is, That's Life (1986) with Julie Andrews directed by Blake Edwards. I only ever saw it once on the telly & can't ever remember seeing a DVD of it, let alone a Blu-ray.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I have my vhs and laserdisc of "That's Life", both slowly disintegrating, no dvd that I know of either.

Also Anthony, get this new release of "The April Fools" through Amazon or whoever as there are about 15 years of bad bootleg copies of this picture floating around, p&s version as well as one version missing 9 minutes (out of a 94 minute movie) -- from what I hear, the new release is practcally pristine iand in its original aspect ratio.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
That's Life was released on DVD by Artisan in 2000. Of course it's long out of print now, and pretty rare as you can see on Amazon.

I would assume it's part of the Lionsgate library now.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
MLamarre said:
That's Life was released on DVD by Artisan in 2000. Of course it's long out of print now, and pretty rare as you can see on Amazon.

I would assume it's part of the Lionsgate library now.
It was once a Vestron Video acquisition and later LIVE Entertainment property, so yes, Lionsgate currently has it.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
AnthonyClarke said:
My favourite Jack Lemmon movies are Avanti!, Some Like it Hot and Bell Book and Candle. For me, 'The Front Page' always suffered in comparison with 'His Girl Friday' and I never cared for 'The Apartment' or 'Irma la Douce'. But these are personal preferences of course .. I'd like to hear what I'm missing re anything I haven't seen .. ie I have never seen 'Under hte Uym Yum Tree' or 'The April Fools' and obviously I should certainly seek out the latter since it also features the remarkable Catherine Deneuve!

As far as what you might be missing - maybe start at the very beginning of Lemmon's career with the charming "It Should Happen to You", starring Judy Holliday. And then maybe another Lemmon/Holliday vehicle "Phffft!"

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Whatever happened to TRIBUTE. I saw it at the theater when it came out, but it doesn't seem to have any video release at this time. Also, it never seems to play on television anymore. I wonder if there is a rights problem tied to the play. I think Fox released this way back....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks