1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

1, 2, 3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thi Them, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Question regarding the ending:

In the last scene, James Cagney holds up a bottle and says something in German. Since I couldn't make out the wording on the bottle and didn't understand the German word, I didn't get the joke. What was the bottle and the English meaning of the word?

~T

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Anyone? George Kaplan and Robert Crawford, I think you guys have seen all of Billy Wilder's movies.

Anyway, this was a hilarious, fast-paced comedy. I'd say it's Billy Wilder's funniest movie--and I wasn't able to catch all the jokes. James Cagney was excellent in his role with his rapid-fire delivery of the dialogue. Highly recommended!

~T

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Thi,

I can't be a complete help to you because I haven't seen this for a long time and don't own it. I don't know what the word was, but the bottle was a Pepsi bottle. That's the joke. He either said Pepsi, which you thought was a German word, or something like shiza (don't know how to spell it).

4. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Thanks George. I was thinking it was a Pepsi
    bottle, but the joke didn't really work because I couldn't see the word due to my RPTV and poor VHS recording. Even when I paused the shot, I wasn't able to read it.

~T

5. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I still would like the translation of the German word. It sounded something like "shlavor."

~T