1/11 Macworld Expo rumors abound...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by David Lawson, Jan 6, 2005.

1. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I hate sites like Think Secret. People really ought to know better than to put stock in anything they publish, but sometimes you just can't help getting caught up in the possibilities, remote as they may be.

The main offender this year is the "headless" G4 iMac for $499, apparently geared towards Windows iPod users who would be more curious about the Mac experience if it wasn't for that damned price tag.

Other rumorware includes a flash-based iPod available in 1.0 and 2.0 GB capacities, a long-overdue AppleWorks overhaul called iWork, and updates to Keynote and the iLife software suite.

Personally, I love the idea of the "headless" iMac, and I'll readily part with the $499 if the system has at least one (available) PCI slot. I realize that the rumored hardware specs (1.0 or 1.25 GHz G4, 256 MB RAM, USB 2.0, FireWire 400, wired and wireless networking support) are a bit outdated, but it's more up-to-date than my hardware, and it would be the most cost-effective upgrade as long as I can take one of my video cards with me.

Think Secret has been sued by Apple for "unspecified stories [that] accurately reveal its marketing plans and technical details of a new computer product," which could (very likely) be something as minor as the FireWire breakout box for GarageBand.

Thoughts? What say you to a $499 iMac, Windows users?

2. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

You have a PCI video card? The "miniMac" would have built-in video, some past-generation nVidia or ATI, which would probably be better than any PCI video card.

3. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    The mini Mac sounds like a nice idea but I doubt they will do it right. What do I consider "right?" Well, I am glad you asked... [​IMG]

Right to me would be a system with a upgradeable video card and CPU. Of course, Apple will never build such a machine at the mini Mac's price point. However, it might be enough to attract the non-gamer, Windows user to buy in.

A flash-based iPod (1GB or 2GB) would be interesting if it also had a USB 2.0 port built-in so it could double as a portable storeage device for either OS X or XP based machines. However, I probably wouldn't buy one until it included a AM/FM tuner as well.

-Keith

4. David Lawson

David Lawson

Two, actually. To clarify, I would use the PCI video card to drive a second monitor, since I highly doubt Apple will ship a system at that price point with dual-head capability.

I highly doubt Apple will ship a system at that price point, period. [​IMG]

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

n/m

6. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Considering that Apple has been suing people who leaked information (and Think Secret) over some of this stuff, I think they're more than a distinct possibility, and that they are/were planned to be introduced at MacWorld.

7. AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson Stunt Coordinator

Anybody here remember the "Cube" Mac?

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Yeah, my university actually has several of them (probably 15 or 20). If I remember correctly Apple had trouble with some of these catching on fire since they didn't use fans and were so small. They were pretty cool though. With today's technology (smaller chips, less heat, etc) they might be able to do something similar with more success.

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Considering (1) all my current software is Windows-based, (2) we have no Macs in our workplace, (3) my PDA is Windows-based and needs to integrate with my desktop, and (4) I can buy a Windows-based machine for $350, I have no interest in a Mac, regardless of the price. They are nice, user-friendly machines that fill the needs for some people, but not me.

BTW, I own an iPod. I have no issues using it with my Windows PC.

10. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

iMovie edits HD!!!!! Yeah.

More on the way.

11. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Is Macworld Expo broadcast online? Cannot find it...

12. David Lawson

David Lawson
    No online broadcast. macteens has the best play-by-play so far, in my opinion.

[​IMG]

I can't believe they did it. Flash-based iPods being announced now...

13. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Not until 6PM PST.

New Mac Mini smaller than a cube and cheap. (2 models)
    [​IMG]
    Loads of software news.
    iPod shuffle - $99 for 512, 149 for 1GB (Not bad)
    [​IMG]
    elGato has the firmware update for the EyeTV QAM that was previously in beta along with a streaming software.

Roxio annoucing 16x9 enhanced DVD and HD imports.