1:1 Screen Size

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jon_Heidbreder, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Jon_Heidbreder

Most of the discussion I see for screen size centers around how big and and what distance you sit from the screen.

I want a screen size that shows a persons head at about a 1:1 ratio when the camera is at about 5 foot close up.

That seems about the distance from the camera for casual conversation for sitcoms.

I know that you wouldn't get a 1:1 ratio for anything else. But I would like it when I'm watching seinfeld and there sitting at the coffe table talking that the size of their heads look about the size they should be in real life.

Just guessing here but I'm thinking around a 40 inch screen.

Whats your thoughts on it?

2. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Well, I suppose everyone has their reasons for choosing the screen size that's best for them, though I personally feel this is a somewhat unusual and silly way to go about it.

If you were to go with a screen size that shows a "lifesize" head from a camera distance of 5 feet (and 40" does seem about right for this), that would really only be "lifesize" if you were sitting at a distance of 5 feet from the screen (to match the camera).

You could theoretically increase the seating distance proportionally to the screen size to preserve this relationship depending on the room dimensions you have, however, from your post, it doesn't sound like this scaling idea is an option for you - you want to be able to walk right up to the screen, set your head against the glass and have your head precisely cover Seinfeld's right?

This sounds rather silly to me, mostly because you're letting a small percentage of the *source material* dictate the screen size. I don't think I've ever heard of this being done before. Especially since the source material changes so dramatically from movie to move and from scene to scene. Hell, even different camera angles in the same conversation could be from different distances, and what about widescreen material? Every aspect ratio will be different!

Really, any screen size you go with will EVENTUALLY show something at a 1:1 ratio - even if only for a split second. It seems odd and a bit silly to me that you would choose a set that may be too small for your room based on this factor alone, but if that's what you want, then by all means go for it!

-Jason

3. Jon_Heidbreder

Thanks for the reply.

you want to be able to walk right up to the screen, set your head against the glass and have your head precisely cover Seinfeld's right?

Yes exactly, with the caveat that its a picture of a relatively standard conversational close-up of jerry or whoever (Neal Cavuto probably doesnt count)

The distance from the screen I don't think is that much of a factor as someone's head size doesnt seem to change much if there 5 ft or 15ft away from me. Its an imperceptible change over 10ft so the only real factor is the size of the screen.

Have you ever stopped to consider how much movie and tv filming is done at that "conversational distance" (for lack of a better word. Its not a majority but clearly its more than any other refrence point. The only one that might be a larger percentage than that is what I would call "full view" (person seems to be about 15 to 20 feet away from the camera and you can see most if not all of their body)