$1,000/pair and $10,000/pair, better or just different?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ken Burkstrum, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Ken Burkstrum

Ken Burkstrum Stunt Coordinator

I always ask how good is good and can it get better? There seems to be a difference between sounding real and sounding believable. Can a cup breaking on the floor in a movie ever sound like it really happened infront of you, actually startling you because you believed it so much? That happens occassionally with me, it's usually ambient sound like birds churping that sink in so well you cant tell if it's in the movie or if there really are birds churping somewhere.

Would you rather listen to a 320Kbps mp3 on a $10,000 a pair set of speakers or uncompressed, high definition audio at it's finest on a $1,000 a pair set of speakers? We keep increasing audio specs, but how much more do we have to go to obtain a quality level that need not be higher?

2. Ken Burkstrum

Ken Burkstrum Stunt Coordinator

By the way, can any of you openly admit you bought something you couldn't justify performance wise? Like perhaps getting a more powerful amp just to have a more powerful amp when the truth is you could of done the samething with the weaker one and it wouldnt start clipping or shut down on yah?

Where's that guy with like a dozen SVSs, has he hit 120db at 10hz yet? Does he buy them because he kind of has a svs collection hobby or is it for the statement or is he trying to recreate the shockwave from the big bang over there? Settin the seismometers off most likely.

3. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I've found my speaker buying 'sweet spot', so to speak, at around the $4k mark. I think there are a lot of amazing speakers at this price point, and beyond that it gets hard for me to justify the expense.

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Wow, what a choice...

Doesn't David Wilson demo his speakers with mp3?

Of course, there is a bit of wiggle room there. High Definition audio is (typically) SACD or DVD-Audio, both of which are noted for the surround formats. So, the $1000/pair setup actually contains $3000 worth of speakers. Nice for listening to those compressed dts files....

5. Steve_Blazer

Steve_Blazer Stunt Coordinator

I've listened to some Wilson watt puppys playing from a regular CD and they really did sound fabulous.
    One interesting thing the dealer pointed out was how unforgiving high end speakers are.

You can hear EVERYTHING.
    The air con unit noises the sound engineer thought noone would ever hear!

My views on cheap vs expensive:

I try and keep my music and movie setups seperate as in my view they require different apporaches to maximise the enjoyment per $ spent.

My movie setup is higher quality on the source/receiver and 'mid-range' on the speakers.
    Sub performance is (i guess) middle of the road.

Music-wise I'm less on the source (apart from vinyl) and the emphasis is more on the speakers.

As long as the CD player and amplification is good quality I would probably err on getting better speakers.
    I have auditioned quite a few amps against the same speaker and to be honest theres not alot of difference once you reach a certain price point...

Unless you jump up a level on the speakers and start over.

To me movie-watching requires you to split your physical attention bewteen both visual and audio, so a slightly different approach can be taken.

Listening to music there is no visual reference and as such you have to rely on the speakers alone to paint the picture.
    Add in the fact movies get 5 speakers (plus a sub) to use it makes it easier to get the wow effect without having to spend hideous amounts on the speakers themselves.

Music only has 2 channels to reproduce everything and as such you tend to notice flaws much more.

My 0.02