What's new

$1,000 or less LCD FP recommendations (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
My Panny PT-L200u LCD FP just got a stuck pixel and I really don't want to dump money into repairing it, I'd rather upgrade. I am very happy with my 200 so I'm looking for something in the same ballpark.

I see I can get a Z2 for $999. I do like my Panny but not sure if they offer anything in this price range.

It's got to be LCD, I am a sufferer of rainbows so DLP is out.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Panny doesn't offer anything near $1,000, unless you can locate a Pan. 300(I don't know). I've read bad things from people trying to get warranty work done on Sanyo projectors(You'd need to check into that). You should check into the Mitsubishi HC3. It's an LCD, 960X540 resolution, 2 year warranty, and has gotten great reviews(Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com). Projectorpeople.com has it for $899 right now.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hey Ron-P. Sorry about your 200 issue! Sucks. Your "early thoughts on the 200 thread" was the one that got me into the front projection scene. That was a great thread. I too got the 200 U and then had some issues that Panasonic couldn't fix so they sent me a new 300U which is better. Smoother and a tad more vivid.

I sure hope you find a good one. Now that the new AE 900 is coming out later this month, you might find some great deals on the 700 which got EXCELLENT reviews. Might be more than you want to spend but sounds like it's worth the extra for the deeper blacks and easy room placement.

Good luck Ron. Let us know what you decide. :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Hey, thanks guys.

Jim, I am currently looking into the HC3 and the Z2, the two top picks. The Z2 seems to be getting the better reviews of the 2 and it's got a 3 year warranty and a DVI imput it's a bit of and upgrade over my 200u and the HC3. I will look more into the HC3 though.

I plan to do extensive searchs on these over the next few days but have pretty much decided to go new and not repair the 200u.

The 700 Tim is a bit out of my price range right now. I want to get by as inexpensive as possible for the next year or two and then upgrade to a much nicer PJ.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Jim, I just did. I don't think I'll be buying a Sanyo product, way too scary. That HC3 is looking better and better.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
As of last night the bright green frozen pixel is not nearly as bad, it's quite a bit dimmer. Not sure what is going on but if it stays like this or up and dies I can live with that for a while and not rush in to a new PJ purchase.

With Sanyo's Z4 and Panny's 900 on their way the Z3's and 700's will be coming down in price soon. At this point I'd rather wait for those to drop then buy into a Z2 or 500.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Hey Tim, I am pretty much sold on the Z3.

A big factor, a 3 year warranty with the Z3 vr a 1 year on the Panny. With the death of a pixel at 700 hours on my Panny it's hard to pay more ($300 more) for another Panny with such a short warranty.

Both have there +'s and -'s according to the shoot out over at projectorcentral.com so I must pick which suits me better. For one, vertical banding is a big distraction and the Z3 lacks it where as the 700 does not.

Colors are reported to be a bit better on the 700 and it's said to be brighter. Being that I have a dedicated HT room the brighter PJ is of no concern.

The 700 seems to be a bit noisey and grainy where as the Z3 is reported to be cleaner and smoother.

SDE is also not as good as on the 700 but it's not an issue for me on my 200 and I am sure the Z3 will be better then what I have now.

It's a tough call but being that both were rated high by projectorcentral, but, I'm leaning towards the Sanyo. Better warranty, $300 less and no VB.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Sounds like a good choice Ron. Yeah, even with the Z1 and 300u they both are pretty close. Sanyo & Panasonic seem to be the equivalent of bitter football rivals. :D Each one has a quality product. The VB you speak of is mild, but certainly there. 3 yr. warranty VERY hard to pass that up.

Good luck Ron. When you get it all done...give us some screenies. We love em. :D

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I am not a fan of the Z3. It has generally poor colour uniformity, especially when the iris is closed. I'd recommend finding a Hitachi TX100. So much is adjustable that you are likely to find yourself quite pleased with its performance. Or, wait it out and see if the stuck pixel un-sticks itself. The new LCD PJ's are coming out, and that means the older models will drop in price. You could always search high and low for another L200 for under $1000 while you wait...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Interesting Chris, of all the threads I've read through on the Z3 I cannot remember any of them addressing a color uniformity issue. Do you have some info somewhere you can direct me too on the color issue?

The stuck pixel is pretty much not an issue now. It's dropped in brightness by 50% or more and is hardly noticeable. I watched Tommy Boy and only saw it once, my friend did not even see it at all. So, I am taking my time and doing more research and not jumping the gun on a quick purchase.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, just ride it out. I had a BenQ LCD monitor with a dead/stuck pixel and I was pushing my finger on the screen to make it go away. Not a brilliant idea, but regardless, it eventually went away. Wait it out. Unless it drives you bonkers, I'd wait until the 5000-7000:1 LCD projectors with the D5 panels come out, before you think about getting another PJ. The Hitachi PJ TX200, Panasonic AE900 and Sanyo Z4, and the Epson 550 and 800 are coming out.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I doubt I'll wait it out. Those new models won't be dropping in price anytime soon, more like not for a very long time, and I don't want to wait, plus the $1485 for the Z3 is pushing my budget. Heck, anymore, you could wait forever for the next best PJ they come out so fast and there always better then the previous. I am still happy with the image from my 200u so the Z3 should be quite an improvement over that.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Ok, fair enough. I still don't like the Z3 because there is no adjustment for the colour uniformity, or lack there-of. With the Hitachi PJ TX100, you can thoroughly adjust a multitude of areas on the screen to achieve very good colour uniformity. With the Z3 you cannot, and if you close the iris to get good blacks and the colour uniformity looks bad, all you can do is send it back. I've seen the Z3 in action myself and I wasn't thrilled.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks for your comments Chris. I will give the Z3 a try and share my comments on it. I will say that you are in the minority (only one I've come across so far actually) with your color uniformity comments. Of the reviews and threads I've read, color uniformity has not come up so I am guessing that the Z3 you saw in action was quite possibly defective.

The Z3 is listed as one of projectorcentral.com's Highly Rated Home Theater Projectors and the reviews are good.

There are trade-offs no matter which PJ one decides upon. I must pick the ones I can live with and go with that. The TX100 is not highly rated in it's black levels and shadow details and it only has a 1 year warranty. Those are two important issues for me which the Z3 has the better of.

If there is a color uniformity issue with the Z3 I have yet to read about anywhere other than in this thread.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
...right, but still, if you've got the L200, maybe you should get some colour lens and colour calibrate it using/renting/borrowing color-facts or Smart III for now. Then save up for one of the D5 lcd PJ's.

Either way, have fun :)

P.S. I almost regret not keeping my L200. I think I could have colour-calibrated it and survived with it a little longer until the D5 PJ's came out, but then again, the Hitachi does look better, so what the heck. I'll probably upgrade to the newer Hitachi if it looks good enough :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks