1,000 dollar question ?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Alan.M, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Alan.M

Alan.M Extra

First off very nice site way over my head info and lingo,to the point iam trying to decide which speakers to buy in above price range here are my options based on what is avalable localy in my small urban area.

1.Jamo 4x E825 and a E 8cen.2 center.

2.Paradigm 4x monitor 5 and a cc-370 center.

3.Klipsch 4x rf15 and rc-10 center.

the room is large and has open beam celling wih hard wood floor will use my cerwin vega sub and sony amp.1 & 2 are stand speakers and three is a tower speaker #3 is from least liked dealer i have heard 2&3 and like them both so iam at a loss.Also think i be wasting money buying same modle for both front and back speakers will be 80% movies and 20% music mostly country.Thanks in advance for any input.

2. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Hi Alan:

Be very careful with small speakers in a large, open room. I used to own Monitor 5s and loved them. But when I moved into a house and all of a sudden they had a lot more space to fill, they were swallowed whole by the room. I had to go up to Monitor 11s; they solved the problem. You may find that you need a speaker that can move some air, at least for your mains.

3. Alan.M

Alan.M Extra

Thank you Alan I will try and listen to them in my home first,funny thing is the Jamo speakers that i listed above are stand speakers but I can buy the same speaker meaning same tweeter & mids in a tower speaker for the same money any comments on this.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You will find the same thing with the 5s vs the 7s. Unless you get really cheap stands, the 5s with stands cost almost the same as 7s. I actually prefer the 5s with a good sub though. I used to have 5s also and for the money, I feel there are better speakers out there. I would seriously take a look at the www.ascendacoustics.com CMT-340 (if they aren't sold out with the new SE versions coming out). They are about the same price and will be a better speaker. I haven't heard the 340s, but I was impressed by the 170s. You might also want to take a look at the www.axiomaudio.com M22Ti.

Sorry haven't heard the Jamos and I'm not a fan of Klipsch.