What's new

0dB, -15dB, +10dB, what does it mean on a HK525 (1 Viewer)

altan

Stunt Coordinator
So the HK525 "volume" goes from -80dB to +10dB. Why does it do this? Does the positive dB really mean something? Not just stop at 0dB?

When would the HK525 output the theoritical 70 watts per chanel? When it's at 0dB or +10dB?

The HK525 manual says you should calibrate with the volume set to -15dB. It also says that if you use an SPL meter you should calibrate for 75dB. So do you agree that -15dB on the know should give you is 75dB SPL and therefore 0dB on the knob would be 90dB SPL? That's certainly not reference (105dB), which confuses me.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

... Altan

David Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I think that any time you are in the negative settings, the preamp is padding the input to the amplifier, when you are at 0 (reference level) the level of your source is what the
amplifier is seeing and finally anything in the +db range is amplified at the preamp giving your source additional gain...

For instance

-30db = input level minus 30db

0db = input level

+10db = input level +10db

I think this info is correct, if it isnt, 30+ htf members will jump down my throat....

David Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I think that any time you are in the negative settings, the preamp is padding the input to the amplifier, when you are at 0db the level of your source is what the
amplifier is seeing and finally anything in the +db range is amplified at the preamp giving your source additional gain...

For instance

-30db = input level minus 30db

0db = input level

+10db = input level +10db

I think this info is correct, if it isnt, 30+ htf members will jump down my throat....

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
As far as your receiver putting out full power, it could be anywhere on the dial (so to speak) there are lots of factors to consider, as mentioned the source componet's output, your tone controls among others. Dont assume that 0 is wide open. Typically about 1 o'clock on the knob will be full bore. . .

altan

Stunt Coordinator
It's hard to know where 1 o'clock is when the knob is doesn't have "markings" and simply shows dB on the display. :)
... Altan

altan

Stunt Coordinator
According and email HK sent me... 0dB on the volume will be full output when using a DVD source.

... Altan

John Stegman

Auditioning
This is confusing me. I have a HK AVR65 and find that -32 dlb is very loud for most DTS movies and for stereo music I find that - 42 is about as high as I can stand. Of course I have B&W 302 mains W/a PSB Subsonic 5 woofer, which are pretty efficient, I believe. Just the same, do people actually listen to movies/music on the + side of their volume dial?

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Has everyone calibrated their channels with a SPL meter? If not the reading on the dial is mute. Get your hands on a AVIA, video essentials, THX optimizer or just use the test tones and SPL meter. Sit in the sweet spot for listening and with your SPL in hand set up the reciever to 75db for each channel. Decide where on the dial you want this to be. I set mine to 00 and adjust each channels output accordingly(+/-). Altan I believe the 105db your refering to is durning intense scenes in a movie not all the time. Just set to 75db and you'll be fine.

Kevin

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
This is what I believe the -15 is about:
When using the EZ-set remote, if you don't calibrate at -15, it won't calibrate properly (you end up having to shut down the receiver to keep it from continuing to cycle). It is a factory setting for the remote. I've never used an SPL (revealing me as a non-hometheater-file) so can't comment on the other recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks