01/09/04 Third Watch

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Rob Speicher, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

This was a really interesting episode, but I'm confused a bit. What was the real reason he killed the guy? What true story was this based on?

It got off to a very good start but ended too abruptly.

2. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Could care less about the true story bit, but I thought the "one long take" angle was GREAT. It really showcased the alternating excitement/boredom that is law enforcement life.

3. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I have never watched Third Watch prior to last night and I really enjoyed the episode. It had a certain "un-ease" to it, as I typically relate the "long-take" shots to trying to get the audience to relax before a shocking moment. As a non-viewer, I didn't know if the cops involved were regulars and therefore wondered if the guy was going to grab someone's gun (per his questions about it early on) and shoot everyone.

4. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

I loved the long take shots too! I'm still at a loss to explain how they did the opening shot, with the cops in the squad car.

They were able to pan the camera from the drivers window, to the front (looking at both passengers), to the passenger window, and back again, all while the car was "driving" down the street.

I know they typically tow the car behind a trailer, but how were they able to move the camera around so much while doing so?

The steadicam work was amazing throughout the episode. The actors really had to have their stuff together, or they would ruin a really long take. Such a welcome change from the normally heavily edited tv fare.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The car may have been on a low flatbed trailer. I don't recall if there was a shot of the car's wheels on the ground, and if so, they may have put the two sequences together with some (digital) trickery.

//Ken

6. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Can anybody give me a rundown on what happened in this episode? I was interested in watching it based on the previews, then went out Friday night and forgot. Thanks.

7. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

*Spoiler Warning*

Well, Bosco and his partner are cruising around when they get a call to respond to a 911 call from a man who does not want to be identified. He says he heard someone screaming for help right outside his window, and gives and address.

They arrive at the address, and there is 21-year-old man about to enter his car. They pull alongside his car and ask him if he heard any screams. He said he did not, but they notice he has blood dripping from his hand, so they ask him how he got it.

He states he was just in a fight over some girl with another guy, who he claims left the scene. Bosco asks him to show where the fight took place, and he takes Bosco to serveral sites in front of houses, but in each case, Bosco proves that nothing has been disturbed and there is no blood, so the guy is lying.

Ambulance shows up, with Doc and the other girl (sorry, I don't watch enough to remember names). And the female Sargeant Girl (the one who shot Yokis) shows up too.

As the Ambulance crew works on the guy's hand, Bosco goes down the only alley that the man DID NOT lead him to, and discovers a massive amount of blood on the wall and ground.

He then grabs the guy and searches him and finds two knives. Doc is FURIOUS at Bosco for not having searched the guy yet. Bosco defends by saying he wasn't a suspect at the time. Bosco takes keys and cell phone from suspect.

Bosco handcuffs suspect to the ambulance, as they search for the victim. Another two policeman show up, the tall black officer and the loud-mouthed heavy-set one. They assist in the search.

Suspect keeps asking for his keys back. Bosco wonders why, then searches his car, where he finds several credit cards belonging to women. Suspect claims he has no idea where they came from.

One of the officers looks through the window to a shed near the alley, and sees a shoe.

The suspects cell phone rings, and the caller talks to Bosco, saying it is NOT the suspects cell phone, but a Jeremy's phone. Bosco asks caller where suspect lives, and it is at an address right where they are.

Bosco uses key on suspects key ring to unlock shed, and a horribly mutated body is discovered.

FINALLY, Bosco reads suspect his Miranda rights.

Suspect tells bosco he acted in self-defense after telling Jeremy he wants out of their rob-girls-they-meet-at-clubs scheme, and Jeremy had become violent.

Bosco proves to Suspect that he is lying based on the way body is mutilated and throat was slashed from behind.

The put the suspect in the squad car, and are en-route to the hospital with the suspect when.....

....wait for it......

the show abruptly ends!

That's it in a nutshell. It was kinda anti-climatic. But it was way cool for the reasons mentioned above.

Carlos.

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

That's anti-climactic. Anti-climatic means you're against the weather [​IMG]

//Ken