007 Nightfire which version should I get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ethan_l, Nov 20, 2002.

1. ethan_l

ethan_l Stunt Coordinator

I know both the XBOX and GCN supports progressive scan
    does the XBOX version also support DD5.1 and 16:9?

which one looks the best?

thanks

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Are there any reviews besides the locked one at IGN out yet?

3. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

the X-Box and GC versions are pretty much identical in just about all aspects. Both are 480p and 16x9. X-Box has DD5.1 and the GC DPL-II for sound. If it makes a difference, IGN gave the PS2 version an 8.1,the X-Box version an 8.2, and the GC version an 8.5. I have the GC version and have no complaints [​IMG]

4. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Just picked up the gamecube version today. Great graphics and sound. Very smooth gameplay although I wish I could crank up the sensitivity of the analog stick a bit. Multiplayer does move a bit slower than single player for some reason but it's pretty much on par with the speed in Goldeneye. As a matter of fact, from the small amount of time I've played the multiplayer, it really reminds me of the multiplayer in Goldeneye in many ways. The single player is much more involved and difficult than AUF was which is a good thing. All in all, I'm quite impressed with this game. I almost decided to hold off on this and pickup Metroid instead but I decided to wait until my birthday/christmas when I'm done with finals to get immersed into Metroid.

5. Dave Bennett

Well I'm pretty far into Nightfire and I have a few more observations.
    the FPS levels are great. The driving levels ok and the on rails levels are just boring IMHO. The problem with the game is there aren't enough FPS levels. There's 3 driving levels with driving(two of them in a row) and 2 with on rails shooting. I'm guessing the last level is FPS again but I've not gotten there yet. The multiplayer is a blast even just against bots. I think though that I might finally be able to ween my friends off of Goldeneye for multiplayer gaming. Graphics are great, sound is good. some of the levels are really great while others are so so. All in all, if you like Bond and plan on doing multiplayer(either with buddies or against bots) definitely pick this up. If you're mostly interested in a single player experience, give it a rental first. It's harder and longer than AUF but not by that much. It is alot harder too.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'd think that the Xbox version would be the best one due to its power, but again it depends on the coding. We can't really know unless some rich guy from this forum rents both and does a comparison. [​IMG] I would like to know the answer also as I plan on getting this for Xmas and have gc and xbox.

7. Dave Bennett

most of the reviews(including IGNs review) gave the Cube version slightly higher marks than the XBox and PS2 editions. Alot of player reviews echo the same sentiment. Having said that though, I'm sure both are pretty close so either one would be fine.

8. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    GameSpot rates it 7.9 across the board on all three systems. They stick their new "best" button on the Xbox version which means (in their opinion) if you have all three platforms, the Xbox version is the preferred one to get. Overall, they rate the game "good", but say if you're buying it for its single-player first person shooter mode, you might want to rent first because although well constructed, you can blow through the missions fairly quickly. Overall, they like the game's 12 multi-player modes, but suggest that Timesplitters 2 may provide a better multi-player experience.