0 to low 30s signal strength on transponder 6 Directv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Parsh Patel, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Parsh Patel

Parsh Patel Auditioning

A couple of days ago I noticed no signal or very low signal strength on transponder 6. Weather is not an issue and the signal strength for all other transponders is normal (i.e., about 70s to mid-90s for me). I followed the procedure on Hughes' (I have a Hughes receiver) help line (unplug receiver, unhook cables for a few minutes) but that didn't solve the problem.

Tonight I called Hughes' technical support line and the service rep told me that Directv launched a new satellite recently (for additional local channels in some places) and that the problem is a result of Directv still trying to fine-tune the channel distribution between the 3 previous satelites and the new satelite.

Are others experiencing this problem? Does the rep's explanation make sense? If not, is the problem with the receiver or the dish? Before giving me the above explanation, the rep asked me for my receiver's model (standard question) and when and where I purchased it. Fortunately it's still within their 2 year warranty if I have to return the receiver. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

I have 3 or 4 transponders on the 101 satellite LNB that are giving me 0 signal. They were all working a few weeks ago.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The spot beam satellites don't register on the signal strength meter. There is more info over at the Tivo Community Forum, DirecTV section.
    -Robert

4. Davin D

Davin D Agent

This change has made a terrible mess to my RCA Ultimate TV Receiver. I can now no longer get 5 or 6 channels. 249, 300, 377 and a couple of others. DirecTV and RCA are working on the problem.

5. Parsh Patel

Parsh Patel Auditioning

Robert,

I should have been more clear in my post....my local channels are fine. The channels I've been having trouble with are VH1, one of the Starz channels, and others on transponder 6. I thought the spot beam satellites are for locals only. Am I wrong?

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Parsh,
    I wasn't sure what was on transponder 6, but the spot beams use some single digit, even transponders (2, 4, 6, 8). I was actually answering John's question. TP6 may be a half power transponder? Post this question over at DBS Forums, they should be able to answer it.
    -Robert

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The people at DBSForums are pretty certain the spot beam satellite is using transponders 4, 12, 18, 20, 26, and 28. Given the nature of the spot beams, depending on where you live, some of these may show low or even zero signal strength.

But transponder 6 is not one of them. It is still supposed to have a CONUS (Continental U.S.) footprint.

I just checked signal levels on my DirecTiVo, and #6 is fine. Some of the spot beam transponders were low or zero as expected.

8. Davin D

Davin D Agent

Anybody got an update. Mine still isn't fixed.