0 dB on the volume control and clipping

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave_Whiting, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Dave_Whiting

Dave_Whiting Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I recently bought a HK avr 220. I have being doing a bit of reading and as far as I can make out, when you have the volume control set to 0 dB, the pre-amp stage is set to 100%. So if I put 100% in (relatively speaking) I get 100% out. My reciever is rated at 55wpc x2. Does this mean at 0 dB my power output is 55 wpc. Also at 0 dB can I expect to get any clipping over the freq range 20-20000 Hz?

I have being reading a post by Vince and he states that clipping occurs in the pre-amp stage. Hence at 0 dB there should be no clipping independent of speaker type and input??

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Having a Pioneer Elite and not knowing how HK handles their volume I can only speculate on your question. Does your volume control go beyond 0dB into positive dB values?

If it does like the Pioneer and most receivers/pre, the 0 dB is nothing more then a reference point. At 0 dB ideally your system should be playing at reference level. To obtain reference level you may have to adjust the gains, etc. but the 0 dB on your receiver is nothing more then a frame of reference to how you have claibrated your system. Clipping could be present or not, depending on your equipment and settings.

J

3. Dave_Whiting

Dave_Whiting Stunt Coordinator

The H/K goes up to +10 dB on the volume control.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John