What's new

$0-700 dorm room speakers, monitors/sub or floorstanding (1 Viewer)

ericMM

Grip
I'd like to preface this by stating that I'm going to get these speakers used, so older stuff that may not be in production any longer is okay (so long as it wasn't yanked from someone's product line for exploding or sounding really bad). Also, this setup is almost exclusively for music in my 19ftx11ft dorm room which is constitued by half drywall, half concrete, a futon and two beds, and hopefully a bunch of rugs on the wall for extra dampening (we also have an area rug on the ground).

Denon AVD-2000 preamp, Adcom GFC-535 II (60watt/chan) (probably), some abysmal dvd player connected via digital coax to the preamp, and some 12ga speaker wire (haven't purchased yet).

I've been reading this forum and other sites for a week or two getting some ideas for this endeavor. I've heard great things about Magnepan MMGs, Ascent CDM-170's, and B&W 602's. Any other speakers in this price range which are worth looking into for two-channel music listening? Also, if I need a subwoofer, what are some good matches for speakers in this price range? I mostly listen to rock and IDM, if that gives any idea for my bass requirements (though I'm not really a bass fiend and will probably order a sub after I hear the loudspeakers playing by themselves).

Also, what the heck is it with monitor stands? I can't spend $500 on stands for $300 speakers, which leads me to think that floorstanders might be more economical (no stands, typically enough bass to forgo a subwoofer). However, buying monitors and a sub would free up more amp power for the midrange because I could cut off the front channel output at 70hz or something. Am I on the right track here?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you like the B&W 602's, then you could pick up the 602.5's which are basically the 602s with "built-in" stands.

Look at the PartExpress 10" sub.

ericMM

Grip
Upon further thought I think that i may need to get monitor speakers for one very important reason: the location for my left channel is right next to a sink cabinet, and the space directly in front of that area (towards the futon and the listening space) is my roommate's bunk, which while not solid, would probably reflect quite a bit. There's only like 1/3 to 1/4 of airspace in front of the area which wouldn't be comprised by the bunk substructure. I wish I had a digital camera down here to show it but I know from common sense that it's enough blockage to diminish the left channel.

So, I'm thinking monitors for that reason, and also the rocket rs550s cost like $170 to ship ($700 on sale + $170 CRYING FOR MOMMA). I can put a pair of CBM-170's on cheap garage sale furniture and toe them in towards the listening area, thereby avoiding the foul left bunk (I couldn't toe floorstanders because the sink cabinet would block the left completely). I could use the saved money to get a sub later on if I deem it necessary (prolly so, maybe an spt-1).

So my question now is, how important are "good stands?" I mean really, I can put these guys on tables, right? Do stands offer some sort of vibrational advantage (IE they don't) against just putting speakers on tables? Stands are very pricy and the CBM-170's are very cheap.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
There's no way that the 550s cost that much to ship, esp. only to TN :) The shipping charges you see on this page is just an estimate of how much it would cost for the entire PACKAGE (5.0 to 7.1): http://www.av123.com/support_orders.php

The rockets are rear ported, so your situation may be hampered by that. You can try their 250s for like $500.

I love the 170s, but do recommend that you go with the 340s, if possible. The ascends will need more help from a sub than the rockets (550s) will.

Also, your question re: speaker stands vs. table depends on the table structure) itself. There could be vibrations that affect the sound if the table is not sturdy and is made of material that do not dampen the sound waves. I've not experimented with "good" stands, so I don't know how much they would affect sound. My ears probably can't detect :)

If you need good stands at reasonable prices, check some out at HTD.com ($59/pair):

http://www.htd.com/speakstan70p.html

They have the more expensive versions on clearance ($79):

http://www.htd.com/clitcastsp.html

ericMM

Grip
If I had a beautiful listening room, I would get the 550's, but this dorm is pitiable. I'm speaking to a guy right now who's selling a pair of 170's, an sft-2, and stands for the mains. If I got the 550's, I'm afraid that the 60 wpc adcom amp I'm bidding on wouldn't be able to deliver enough power given that I'd be running my bass through them (wouldn't be able to budget enough for the 550's and a sub).

I think this stuff I'm looking at would pretty well flesh out my system so hopefully I'll be able to get it all for a good price and start listening to pretty music in short order.
I am attracted to the 340's but I cannot find any on ebay or audiogon, so I'm kind of stuck. Maybe for a future upgrade, though.

But as a final question, having presumably listened to a variety of setups, what might I be losing out on in going for a monitor speaker with sub versus a floorstanding with or without a sub?

Jacob C

Second Unit
IMO, floor standers will give you tighter bass than most subs. The trade off is that you lose the deep extension that you get with a sub. For music 40hz is fine with me. When well integrated bookshelf/sub combos can sound amazing so don't count them out. Go to a hifi store and listen to a floor stander and then a bookshelf with a sub. That should help you decide what configuration you like more.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
What Jacob C said. Also, the Adcom will be able to drive the 550s fine (to pretty loud levels). With towers, you can definitely go much louder and lower than bookshelves. Like Jacob mentioned above, the integration is already there with a tower, but you'll have to tweak a bookshelf/sub combo to get it to sound their best. One advantage is that you can move the sub around to find the best sounding spot for it.

Good luck and report back with what you get and how you like 'em.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Give them a call at AV123 and see what they can do for ya.. You might be surprised. Also ask one of the techs there the same questions you have asked here and they will guide you in the best direction. Great company and won't oversell you at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks