What's new

“Just set everything to Small!” Ohhh...Ok..now I understand! (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Now that I have a PC-Ultra, all has become clear. In the past, I tried setting my JBL S310ii’s to "Small". I did this per the recommedations of many fellow HTF-er’s, but this made them sound thin and wimpy. I thought it was that the default crossover for my Denon DVD-2900 was too high (80Hz). But actually, it’s just that my sub was not up to the task! You guys were right, THX! With my new Ultra I have everything set the small and I can now hear the detail of bass lines I haven’t heard before. I can now hear the tactile tightness of a running bass from John Clayton on Diana Krall’s – Live in Paris. Or the thunderous driving power of the bass line from Satriani’s Belly Dancer. My Ultra is seamless, dynamic and very musical. Just as I was told it would be. Thanks also to SVS for timely customer service and a great product!

And for any guys out there that are still using the “Large” configuration, consider upgrading your sub.

Setup:

Toshiba 35"
Parasound HCA-2003(L/C/R)
h/k PA2000(rears)
h/k AVR 525(pre-amp)
Denon DVD-2900
JBL S310-II's
JBL S-Ctr II
JBL S36-II's(rears)
SVS PC-Ultra
all Better Cable interconnects
18'x23'x14'(vaulted ceiling) LxWxH

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the land of LFE and true bass John;) Makes a huge difference (large to small) doesn't it?

Thats a fairly good size room your in there also. Right next to 5800.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
steve: A night and day difference! But, I'm sure the Ultra has a lot to do with that. Actually, I think the room adds to the "concert effect" for some of my DVD's & SACD/DVD-A's. Yeah, it is a big one, but it's not a problem any more.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I remember you going through the process John.

>>>But, I'm sure the Ultra has a lot to do with that.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That's definitely a place where you will notice it. Average subs will blur the sound of the strings and it just doesn't sound right. Congrats!! A system doing exactly what it's supposed to do is a wonderful thing :D

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
steve: My setup is used mostly for Hi-Res audio and concert DVD's. 80/20 music, is about the ratio. Actually, I've had it about a week and I have yet to watch an entire movie with my new sub. I know several HTF-er's that would be "shocked and appalled" to hear that!

John: It just makes the music sound more enveloping and three-dimensional. It can shake my big Natuzzi couch with ease, when the content calls for that. I'm now able to listen for hours with no ear fatigue. I've already sampled all my SACD/DVD-A's and concert DVD's which total almost 100. I'm now in the process of pulling out my old redbook CD's to see what the difference is. Belated "Happy Birthday", John!

All the research paid off!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
:emoji_thumbsup: Music sounds great even with my PB-10 :D Diana Krall is one of the first places I really noticed it too.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
John: I demo-ed a PB-10 for about a week. I was told the design of the driver was more similar to an Ultra than a PC-Plus. So, I thought I'd try it out. It sounded very tight and accurate on music but it just couldn't fill my space.

Axu: I am going to mess around with the port plugs but first; I’ve got to figure out how to use the Parametric Equalizer. I've also got to figure out how to use MS Excel and create a response chart. Casually, it looks like there is a spike in my room between 35-40Hz.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It doesn't totally fill my room either (19x20), but I'm also in an apartment, so it's plenty. IMO, a 25-31 would have been a bit too much (for neighbors, not me:D ).

CarterT

Grip
John,

"And for any guys out there that are still using the “Large” configuration, consider upgrading your sub."

Glad to hear your set improved by setting your JBL's to small. Can't say the same for my S312's and SVS PB10. I have tried setting to small (actually THX/Normal is the "small" setting) on my setup but still prefer the large setting. With this setting the music sounds much better to me especially in the mid bass. The PB10 handles the lower region very well. Could be I don't have it set right (crossover at 80hz) but this is the best I could find... so far.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Carter: The PB10 doesn't have a internal crossover right? So how are you handling bass mgnt?

Axu R

Agent
"John: Try plugging the port, it might sound even better!"

Of course you were John too, I meant John G! :)
My PB10 is sealed now, peak @20Hz gets lower I think. I'll have to measure again when BFD arrives. Hmm, my room is about 11x13, full alright!

Seriously, this is a pretty awesome sub; it goes lower than some of its bigger 12" brothers!

CarterT

Grip
John:
You are correct, the PB10 does not have an internal crossover adjustment. I use my A/V receiver for that.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Carter: My mistake, I thought you were running Hi-Res audio on your setup.

Matt:Brunmeier

Stunt Coordinator
You know, realistically it's not the other speakers that are the problem here right?

What you want is more range going to your sub, and yes, setting the speakers to small is one way to do that. My speakers are all set to large though (because based on their specs, they are large speakers) and I just adjusted the range that the sub gets on my receiver and the upped the output to the sub by a few dB and it's fantastic, the subs right there with everything.

Am I missing something? Is setting the speakers to small just the easy way to do what I've done?

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Wow,they all play down around 20Hz,those are some meaty speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks