“Ice Age” Special Edition On D-Theater (merged thread)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaViD Boulet, Nov 1, 2002.

1. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

No flames. Put out your fire right now. If you don't want to watch HD movies that are purchased on magnetic tape or you want to rant at those who do then leave this thread.
    Good-bye.
    [​IMG]
    Ok, now for those of you still here, question.
    Where does one order these bad-boys on-line? I *really* want to pre-order Ice Age on DVHS and I don't want to spend a fortune or hassle with driving all around town.
    What have you discovered.
    p.s. just saw my first DVHS movie last night at my bud's house on a Sony 10HT projector. We watched Indpendence Day. WOW. HD really is NIIICCCEEE. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Like everyone else I'll be even happier when our pre-recorded HD software is optically recorded but for now I'm not going to complain while those glorious HD images grace the big-screen!
    Thanks ya'll,
    dave [​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

DaViD: I believe DVD Empire is offering D-VHS D-Theater titles. JB

3. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

I feel the same way Dave. I'll enjoy DVHS HD movies now, for one simple fact: simply because I can. I havn't even got my DVHS VCR yet, but I'm collecting some tapes. The VCRs are due to arrive hear in Canada in the next few weeks.I've got one on order. Anyway, back to your question: I think the best online place to get Dtheater movies right now, is dvdempire.com

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Thanks!

5. Jack Briggs

And DaViD? I think it is good you are getting into D-Theater. [​IMG]

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm excited that ICE AGE has been announced day and date. Makes me think Fox is really going to support DVHS.

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Hey...until I get HD-DVD encoded to provide full 1080P resolution (no vertical filtering) and BETTER THAN full-bit-rate DTS-sounding audio with the ability to encode MLP 7-channel 24/192 surround with true-text subtitling (sign our petition please)...
    I'll be happy to enjoy some D-VHS titles [​IMG]
    My biggest hope is that the establishment of DVHS sets a STANDARD of quality that HD-DVD will be forced to meet. That 30 mbps datarate on DVHS provides for an amazing artifact-free image. In fact...I think even more than the sheer resolution of watching DVHS it's the absence of any video artifacting...be it compression macroblocking, mosquito noise, background/pattern shifting, and (in the case of Independence day) NO Edge Enhancement. that really makes the presentation seem so much more film-like than "normal" DVD (some DVDs DO come very close to this level of purity I should add).
    HD-DVD better do all this and more. Knowing that today's HD DVHS tapes are verically filtered for 1080I displays...I can only imagine how much sharper/more crisp true 1080P HD-DVD could look on future 16x9 1920x1080 displays.
    BTW, anyone else thinking what I'm thinking...Attack of the Clones on DVHS??? [​IMG]

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Obviously Attack of the Clones won't be day and date [​IMG]. I'd love to have it though. I'd love to have all 6 films on DVHS. I'm sure it's doable, but Mr. Lucas does not like to put his films out in a format without a guaranteed million plus seller.
    I'd love to see Lord of the Rings as well. I'd triple dip for that.
    Moulin Rouge.
    I could type films all day!

9. Jack Briggs

I knew it wouldn't take long to get DaViD back on his "HD-DVD-must-match-or-exceed-D-VHS" soapbox again. [​IMG]

10. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

yeah but look how long in the thread I managed to avoid it! :b
    my therapist says I should focus on the postives and gains...not on the losses...baby steps... [​IMG]

11. Michael St. Clair

12. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

The HTF's own official sponsor, Laser Edge carries DVHS.

13. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

14. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Hey Marc,

How much are the D-VHS machines in Canuck-bucks and which model would Canada be getting (or is there only one?)

Thanks for any help,

Miles

15. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Second Unit

I'm excited by this news. I hope D-VHS takes off to the point where it has a steady stream of releases.
    There are people out there that have invested thousands to be able to play a few dozen HD Muse laserdiscs from Japan. For signifcantly cheaper one can enjoy HD now with D-VHS.
    If D-VHS gets to the point where there are a few dozen titles I'd like to own, and the price of players comes down a bit, I'm in! [​IMG]

16. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I haven't found this available for pre-order yet...I guess it takes time to enter it into their website.

17. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

18. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yes, try Lasersedge and support the forum!

19. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

OK-
    I'm sold on Laser's Edge...Now find me the link to pre-order this cold one and I'll give them my business.

I will definitely support an HTF sponsor.

20. Christopher a

Christopher a Stunt Coordinator

DaVid, where have you seen the official announcement? They seem to be announcing these tapes weeks before they hit the shelves, whereas a dvd announcement would come months ahead of time. Strange. Anyway, can't wait for Ice Age. This will officially be the first major release to come out where I will be buying the DVHS and not the dvd.

Chris