What's new

“Dave” should thank his lucky stars for “Jack”, or why technophobes should not purcha (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
even scarier is that it took the CAP 2 years to find him :laugh:

If the article wasn't clear, 121.5 is the frequency that the emergency locator transmiter onboard an aircraft sends a signal tone out after being switched on or senses an impact. The civil air patrol are really about the only ones listening, pilots will monitor 121.5 often times too.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am amazed that a device that is not a transmitter of any sort could accidently braodcast a signal strong enough to be picked up by a friggin satellite! :eek:

--
H

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it was a harmonic, and it snuck out. Now I'm wondering if they are sending signals out somewhere telling them what everybody else is watching too.

I'd get some techs over to his house before it's picked up to see what is going on.

Glenn

Mary M S

Screenwriter
If it be worth the bother, - and the Mods can do. My thread should be merged here.
Todd, having the more approprié title to topic.

I had just finished reading Jack latest chapter regarding “Dave” when I saw the “Toshiba” story. My brain wandered: .... What if Jack had (for any given reason) just approved an all-in-one video source product purchase to Dave. And what if, months later, Dave had subsequently opened his door to find “local police, civil air patrol and search and rescue personnel” lurking on his doorstep.

Jack would have one less pupil and more time for screenings at his own system. :D

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I'm familiar with CAP. I know a few people that were members of the local CAP in the past. I've also seen a few articles in my ham radio magazines about using RDF equipment to sniff out ELT transmitters on 121.5. I remember monitoring a signal several years ago with my police scanner on 121.5 that CAP was trying to hunt down but I can't for the life of me remember what it sounded like now. I think it was just some sort of continuous tone.

For those of you wondering what the heck we are talking about:

What Is An ELT?
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers About T-hunting and RDF

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Egads Todd. I’m sorry!

Once I saw two threads were going concurrently.
Thank you Frank,
…but ……I meant my thread under Todd’s. Did not intend to eat his up :b since Todd’s title was truly a better representation of subject content.
(TV Sends Distress Signal)

My title; you don’t know what the @@@@ is going on….. :till you click into topic. :D
It had cracked me up reading the distress story directly after having finished catching up on the “Dave” thread. I could only imagine…Dave….in that situation!

Did not mean to swoop your slot Todd, yours was the better lead! :b

If they could tweak this display a little, allowing it to dial 911 rather than the Airforce, it could be the next best “Lifeforce” product for those “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” situations.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
"Isn't it great? Next month, whenever you're watching Skynet's program on your television, Skynet will be watching you, through your television...
To help protect you, and your family, and our country."

Cees

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Oh sure Mary... just assimilate my thread into yours! Just kidding... it's no big deal. I think you're right about my title being a bit more appropriate though.

Users who are viewing this thread