What's new

International ‘THE GRADUATE: 50th Anniversary Edition’ to be released on Blu-ray, DVD & EST on 14 August, 2017 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
News information here

Looks to be the same transfer used on Criterion's recent release, though I am unsure if that was a 5.1 mix. I am sure someone here will verify.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This appears to be a UK release. Wondering aloud who, if anyone, is handling an analogous release in North America. MGM handled the pre-Criterion releases.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It appears the audio and video presentation is the same as Criterion based on the following excerpt taken from Ron's link.

This 50th Anniversary 4K restoration was created from the 35mm original camera negative by the Criterion Collection. The colour timing was done by referencing a previous colour grading that had been supervised by Grover Crisp at Sony Pictures and approved by director Mike Nichols. The 5.1 surround-sound remix, approved by the director, was created from the 35mm magnetic tracks and the original soundtrack recordings at Chace Audio.

It looks like some new Bonus Material is provided with this UK release.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
This appears to be a UK release. Wondering aloud who, if anyone, is handling an analogous release in North America. MGM handled the pre-Criterion releases.

I think MGM still controls the American rights, but the UK release would seem to be a response to the recent Criterion edition. Why would anyone bother putting out yet another American release so close to the Criterion?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One must wonder who heavily damaged the original elements?

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
I think MGM still controls the American rights, but the UK release would seem to be a response to the recent Criterion edition. Why would anyone bother putting out yet another American release so close to the Criterion?

Actually MGM holds the home video rights (currently licensed to Criterion), Lionsgate partial digital rights, and Sony the television rights under ELP Communications, the last vestige of the Embassy company (they helped out on a previous restoration). The main rights holder is StudioCanal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks