¿What is the best DVD or CD to setup a HT?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sandra B., Sep 9, 2002.

1. Sandra B.

Sandra B. Extra

¿What do you think is the best one? ¿Or do you think, as many of my friends, that are a "combination" of two of them to make the setup finest? I haven't tested one yet. :b

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well the Avia DVD seems to be the best disk out for adjusting both the TV and the speaker levels.
    (And you need a SPL meter to do the speaker level adjustment.)
    If you have an external subwoofer and a equalizer and are trying to smooth out the room response, the Stryker Bass Test Disk is popular, or you can search for "NCH Tone" which is a small program that lets you create your own test tones.
    What disks do your friends recommend?

3. Sandra B.

Sandra B. Extra

The Avia is the most used by my friends, other ones have one of Dolby Digital "The whole world is listening".

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Video Essentials is another option (although I find Avia easier to navigate). The Stryke bass test CD can be found here.

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I've used the Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune Up and a SPL meter with much success. It's also very inexpensive compared to Avia. I think it's $20 retail, i got it for $11 on ebay. It does a good job adjusting video (includes a blue filter), and is great for speaker balance, sub crossover, and phase adjustments. It also includes a collection of test tones, test paterns, and DD, DTS, and THX demos.