-

Photo

Alias possibly coming to DVD in September '03!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
124 replies to this topic

#1 of 125 OFFLINE   John Simon

John Simon

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 10:40 AM

I just read this on an Alias message board:

Quote:
Quote:
I read at another Alias site that Rob Orci? (who is affiliated with "Alias") said that the first season DVD of "Alias" will most likely be released at the beginning of the third season, so September of 2003. Which really isn't that far off!
i can confirm this. i just got a reply from the fine, fine people at "BadRobot". i basically asked them if they had any info about an Alias DVD. here is the reply:

Dear Eric:

Thanks for watching!

YES there will be a DVD available in 2003 of Alias' first season.

Have a great holiday!

Bad Robot Productions

You can find the original post here.

I REALLLLLLLY hope this is true. While it apparently comes directly from Bad Robot Productions (who produces Alias), it's hard to believe they're already planning for a third season when ABC has yet to announce a renewal and the show's ratings have not been great. Still, here's hoping we get the first season much sooner than originally expected. Posted Image

#2 of 125 OFFLINE   Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 02:13 PM

This is FANTASIC news. I love this show and can't wait to have season 1 in my needy little hands. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
"I can't marry all three of them - thats bigamy!"
"No, thats big o' me!"

Magic armour is good but it tends to lose its magic without warning. Many an ancient lords last words had been " You can't kill me because I've got magic AARRGG!"
-Interesting Times-

#3 of 125 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 03:12 PM

Great! The way I console myself about Firefly's cancelling is remembering that Alias is still on. I cannot wait to see the pilot again, in all it's 70 minute commercial free glory. Brought to you by Nokia! Or whoever.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#4 of 125 OFFLINE   LennyP

LennyP

Supporting Actor

• 587 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 03:43 PM

Yeah, I just got into Alias this season, got it on DVD-Rs relatively high quality, but I surely need that first season on DVD, great news!
Top: 1-10 | 11-20 | Complete Archives | Discs: 1397
New R1: Cube SE | Cube² | Noir Vol.1 | .hack//Sign Vol.1 | RahXephon Vol.1 | Assassins | Judge Dredd | One Hour Photo | Unfaithful

#5 of 125 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted December 14 2002 - 08:16 AM

I noticed that. I downloaded the first 10 episodes and am catching up right now (and I'll be picking up this set. Posted Image) and when the pilot was going, it kept going. I thought... was it 2 hours? and then it ended. I figured it was either commercial free, or given an extra 30 minute slot or something.

#6 of 125 OFFLINE   Richard Waller

Richard Waller

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted December 14 2002 - 08:59 AM

I would love to get this show on DVD. I hope it's released next fall!

#7 of 125 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted December 14 2002 - 04:53 PM

I just hope all of the original music remains. I love Felicity, and the DVDs are good, but nearly all of the music is different from the original WB airings. In both shows, JJ Abrahms makes excellent use of pop music, and while Felicity didn't bother me since I haven't seen the show in years (and most of the replacements are great), I have watched Alias episodes multiple times and I'll notice any changes.

Although they could easily change the use of U2 a few weeks back and I wouldn't complain a bit.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#8 of 125 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 05:10 AM

I agree. I didn't notice any of the Felicity music changes at all because it's been years since I saw the show.

Alias is very good with it's music, and I hope that it remains.

I've often found myself bobbing my head to the sounds from that show. Posted Image

#9 of 125 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 04:58 AM

But I'm really surprised it's taking that long, considering how quickly 24 came out, not that I'm complaining. I haven't watched a single episode of ALIAS this season, and I was a HUGE fan of the show last season, because I was tired of last season's 'watch it one week, wait three, and repeat' way it was going. At least I'll have some kick ass stuff to watch over summer reruns. Posted Image
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#10 of 125 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 11:35 AM

"24" is an exception, not the rule. Because of the format of the show it wouldn't do well in syndication. Don't expect to see quick DVD releases of shows shown on the regular networks.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#11 of 125 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 11:38 AM

24 is unusual, but I think it will become less so, especially for things as serial as Alias. Now that the DVD sets are becoming more lucrative, I suspect that we'll be seeing more quick windows to DVD, especially if the standard contract language is changing.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#12 of 125 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 11:49 AM

Quote:
24 is unusual, but I think it will become less so, especially for things as serial as Alias. Now that the DVD sets are becoming more lucrative, I suspect that we'll be seeing more quick windows to DVD, especially if the standard contract language is changing.
Serial dramas have a problem on tv... the very fact that they follow on so closely from episode to episode means that after the first few weeks it is a lot harder to attract new viewers (without resorting to cheap publicized 'events' which only seem to work for one week anyway).

This had been discussed by the Buffy the Vampire Slayer production team, who are resigned to the fact that it is unlikely that they will pickup any new viewers now, no matter how good the product they put out is. I think they were stating that their viewing figures have remained pretty much constant since the middle of the third season, and even moving Networks didn't make a huge impact either way on the ratings (something of which they are very proud is that ratings didn't plummet).

But... if any new upcoming shows get their DVD releases during the second year, then it can only encourage people to watch the ongoing television series - either after they have watched the previous episodes on DVD or if they become interested after a couple of episodes they have the option of picking up the DVDs and catching up on what they have missed.

I think it will become more and more common to see quick releases of such programming.
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#13 of 125 OFFLINE   John Simon

John Simon

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 02:19 PM

I really think 24 may be setting a new rule, actually. If you look at how the ratings for 24 have improved between this year and last, I'd guess the DVD probably has quite a bit to do with that. So when you look at a critically acclaimed show like Alias that has been having trouble attracting viewers, ABC may determine it's more important to ensure that Alias survives to a point where syndication would matter instead of letting it be cancelled after 2 or 3 seasons because it could never attract viewers.

#14 of 125 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted December 16 2002 - 08:25 AM

I agree. I don't currently watch Alias as I'm not caught up yet. But as I said, I'm in the process (Just watched 1.13 last night) and when I'm done with that I'll tune in every night.

24, I didn't watch last year, I bought the set, I watch it now. Posted Image

#15 of 125 OFFLINE   Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted December 16 2002 - 09:06 AM

This one would be a definite purchase for me. Posted Image
Master Poe: Close your eyes. What do you hear?
Caine: I hear the water. I hear the birds.
Master Poe: Do you hear your own heart beat.
Caine: No.
Master Poe: Do you hear the grasshopper, which is at your feet.Caine: Old man, how is it that you hear these things?Master Poe: Young man, how is it...

#16 of 125 OFFLINE   Dave F

Dave F

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted December 16 2002 - 11:40 AM

Alias also broke from the norm by rebroadcasting recent episodes on a different channel (ABC Family). It seems very logical to me that a DVD release would be in the wings. I'm betting on widescreen, too. Posted Image
DVD List

#17 of 125 OFFLINE   John Simon

John Simon

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted January 24 2003 - 02:17 AM

It looks like an official confirmation is now only days away. TV Guide has an interview with J.J. Abrams, the creator and writer of Alias, discussing the post-Super Bowl episode. The article ends with the quote "On Monday, J.J. Abrams talks about the upcoming Alias DVD and whether Sydney and Co. will see a third season. "

Sounds almost certain now that Alias is coming to DVD in the near future! You can read the rest of the article here.

#18 of 125 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted January 24 2003 - 08:32 AM

I hope its in widescreen.

#19 of 125 OFFLINE   Dave F

Dave F

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted January 24 2003 - 11:10 AM

And 5.1.

-Dave
DVD List

#20 of 125 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted January 24 2003 - 11:14 AM

It is simulcast in 16X9 so I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

I normally don't really care about TV aspect ratio (the question of intent and framing for widescreen is a tricky one), but Alias kind of demands it.
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

Forum Nav Content I Follow