What's new

Spielberg talks "Raiders" DVD (1 Viewer)

David W

Auditioning
From today's WSJ. Apparently Spielberg wants to release the Indiana Jones movies separately and Paramount wants an all or nothing box set. See below.
Post Edited By Administrator - Please, don't post copyrighted articles in their entirety.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I hope Spielberg gets his way... I am only interested in purchasing Raiders of the Lost Ark.

John Simon

Second Unit
Actually, Spielberg's stance bothers me quite a bit here. It sounds like the typical Lucas mentality of releasing each movie seperately and then following up with another edition only a year or two later to milk consumers for more money. I'd rather see all 3 movies released simultaneously in a box set and also available seperately, and avoiding the constant re-release with added features that would be inevitable if they were done as Spielberg seems to suggest.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Actually, Spielberg's stance bothers me quite a bit here. It sounds like the typical Lucas mentality of releasing each movie seperately and then following up with another edition only a year or two later to milk consumers for more money. I'd rather see all 3 movies released simultaneously in a box set and also available seperately, and avoiding the constant re-release with added features that would be inevitable if they were done as Spielberg seems to suggest.
I don't see the correlation here. If I look at the Star Wars releases so far, those are two PACKED disc sets. Lucas hasn't been re-releasing with more features in a money grab. But he is releasing them one at a time. I wonder if this means that Lucas is going to release the original trilogy one at a time in the 2006-2008 time frame?

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I'm not a fan of waiting either. My question would be why is there a need for separate releases over time? I mean this series is much the same as Star Wars in that the fans would be willing to settle for bare bones sets now...

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I want the boxset...but I don't want to wait for all 3 to come out first. argh...:frowning:

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
The theory seems to be that many people only want Raiders, but if it is only available in a box set, enough of these people will buy the set anyway to make it worthwhile compared to separate releases, from Paramounts point of view, even if it means some people will not buy it at all.

In addition maybe Paramount thinks it more expense saving to release a 4 disc set with one bonus disc a la The Godfather compared to three 2 disc sets.

Of course that's just speculation anyway.

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
I would purchase Raiders in a hearbeat, unfortunately I loath Temple and would have a hard time puchaseing a disk I will never watch in a box set. Crusade I could take or leave.

I have the exact same problem with BTTF. I am less likely to purchase the entire set but would have the first movie on release day.

MatS

Screenwriter
I only want and would only purchase Raiders. No individual dvds then no sale for me just as BTTF.
The most interesting part of this article is the fact there is a Coen Bros movie in the works :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Hell, I would buy all three in a second, even if they were packaged with Spawn and Showgirls.

-Dave

John Simon

Second Unit
Brian, I used Lucas as an example due to his frequent re-release of the Star Wars movies on VHS, not DVD. Sorry about that confusion.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Good news. Nice to know the Fall 2003 is not just a rumor and they're actually trying to get these out. Now, I'd much rather have the one-by-one release pattern than the all-at-once. I love Raiders and Crusade, but Temple is alright in my opinion. I may get it just to complete the collection, but don't really know for sure. Either way, they could just release all three in intervals as they'd need time to work on these. And when they do release Indy 4 on DVD, put out a final box set and follow the Jurassic Park strategy by including a coupon for the box and possible other goodies.

Travis D

Second Unit
I forgot these we're Paramount. Ew.
Back to the Future Trilogy MSRP $56.98 (3 discs, Universal)
Die Hard Ultimate Collection MSRP $69.98 (6 discs, Fox)
Jurassic Park Trilogy MSRP $75.98 (4 discs, Universal)
Godfather Trilogy MSRP$105.99 (5 discs, Paramount)
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish Fox owned these. BADLY.

Rob T

Screenwriter
This is a tough choice...
I think I'd like to have all 4 in once nice box set though. :)

DanR

Supporting Actor
There it is straight from the horse's mouth (or one of the horses anyway). I've said it time and again in the past, but I've never liked Paramount, I don't trust them, and they provide little to no value (in terms of a total package) with the majority of their DVD releases. That seems to be an unpopular opinion, but it isa valid opinion.

There was at least one member on this board a few years ago who reported the ongoing problems with Paramount and Lucasfilm. He was basically driven off the board because he had "no proof".

In any event, it's good to know that at least something is in the works for next year.

Regards,
Dan

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I would choose a nice box but I would not complain if "decent" individual releases was the available route.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
I think the duel box set/individual release is fine, as long as they are released simultaneously. Releasing them later with added features only scr*ws the big fans that purchased them on the initial release. If the box set and the individual releases are out the same day then people can decide which way they want to go.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Lucas will finally convince Speilberg to record commentary tracks for the Indy DVDs? A Lucas/Speilberg/Ford commentary track would be awesome! One can hope...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks