-

Photo

Spielberg talks "Raiders" DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
634 replies to this topic

#1 of 635 OFFLINE   David W

David W

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 09:26 AM

From today's WSJ. Apparently Spielberg wants to release the Indiana Jones movies separately and Paramount wants an all or nothing box set. See below.

Post Edited By Administrator - Please, don't post copyrighted articles in their entirety.

Last week, Hollywood Journal sat down with the 55-year-old Mr. Spielberg for a discussion of everything from the status of "Indiana Jones 4" to his thoughts on why "Minority Report" wasn't much of a blockbuster in the U.S. Here are excerpts:

Q. Speaking of upcoming projects, what's the status of "Indiana Jones 4"?

A. Frank Darabont (writer of "The Green Mile") is writing the screenplay as we speak. We're looking to start production in May of 2004 and come out for the July 4th weekend 2005.

Q. "E.T." is finally out on DVD after a long wait. Fans of Indiana Jones are hoping "Raiders of the Lost Ark" won't be far behind, but Paramount is mum. Can you fill us in?

A. We're aiming for next fall. George Lucas and I are having an argument with Paramount. Paramount wants to come out with all three [Indiana Jones] movies in one package. George [writer and producer of "Raiders"] and I want to come out with one film at a time and then come out with all three movies, and maybe even the fourth one, in one package later. (Paramount says there is no argument and discussions are ongoing.)

#2 of 635 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 09:31 AM

Very interesting, and not just the Indy stuff.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#3 of 635 OFFLINE   ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa

Screenwriter

• 2,802 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 09:35 AM

I hope Spielberg gets his way... I am only interested in purchasing Raiders of the Lost Ark.

#4 of 635 OFFLINE   John Simon

John Simon

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 09:47 AM

Actually, Spielberg's stance bothers me quite a bit here. It sounds like the typical Lucas mentality of releasing each movie seperately and then following up with another edition only a year or two later to milk consumers for more money. I'd rather see all 3 movies released simultaneously in a box set and also available seperately, and avoiding the constant re-release with added features that would be inevitable if they were done as Spielberg seems to suggest.

#5 of 635 OFFLINE   Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 09:54 AM

Quote:
Actually, Spielberg's stance bothers me quite a bit here. It sounds like the typical Lucas mentality of releasing each movie seperately and then following up with another edition only a year or two later to milk consumers for more money. I'd rather see all 3 movies released simultaneously in a box set and also available seperately, and avoiding the constant re-release with added features that would be inevitable if they were done as Spielberg seems to suggest.

I don't see the correlation here. If I look at the Star Wars releases so far, those are two PACKED disc sets. Lucas hasn't been re-releasing with more features in a money grab. But he is releasing them one at a time. I wonder if this means that Lucas is going to release the original trilogy one at a time in the 2006-2008 time frame?
Brian

#6 of 635 OFFLINE   ChrisLee

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 09:57 AM

Yeah I'm not a fan of waiting either. My question would be why is there a need for separate releases over time? I mean this series is much the same as Star Wars in that the fans would be willing to settle for bare bones sets now...
The views expressed in this post is solely those of the confused personality providing them and does not reflect the opinions of my mind, its affiliate or subsidiary schizophrenic personas.

#7 of 635 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 10:04 AM

I want the boxset...but I don't want to wait for all 3 to come out first. argh...Posted Image

#8 of 635 OFFLINE   Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor

• 948 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 10:09 AM

The theory seems to be that many people only want Raiders, but if it is only available in a box set, enough of these people will buy the set anyway to make it worthwhile compared to separate releases, from Paramounts point of view, even if it means some people will not buy it at all.

In addition maybe Paramount thinks it more expense saving to release a 4 disc set with one bonus disc a la The Godfather compared to three 2 disc sets.

Of course that's just speculation anyway.
My DVD list

#9 of 635 OFFLINE   David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 10:17 AM

I would purchase Raiders in a hearbeat, unfortunately I loath Temple and would have a hard time puchaseing a disk I will never watch in a box set. Crusade I could take or leave.

I have the exact same problem with BTTF. I am less likely to purchase the entire set but would have the first movie on release day.

#10 of 635 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 10:28 AM

I only want and would only purchase Raiders. No individual dvds then no sale for me just as BTTF.

The most interesting part of this article is the fact there is a Coen Bros movie in the works Posted Image

#11 of 635 OFFLINE   Dave F

Dave F

Screenwriter

• 2,891 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 10:35 AM

Hell, I would buy all three in a second, even if they were packaged with Spawn and Showgirls.

-Dave
DVD List

#12 of 635 OFFLINE   John Simon

John Simon

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 10:52 AM

Brian, I used Lucas as an example due to his frequent re-release of the Star Wars movies on VHS, not DVD. Sorry about that confusion.

#13 of 635 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted December 13 2002 - 12:05 PM

Good news. Nice to know the Fall 2003 is not just a rumor and they're actually trying to get these out. Now, I'd much rather have the one-by-one release pattern than the all-at-once. I love Raiders and Crusade, but Temple is alright in my opinion. I may get it just to complete the collection, but don't really know for sure. Either way, they could just release all three in intervals as they'd need time to work on these. And when they do release Indy 4 on DVD, put out a final box set and follow the Jurassic Park strategy by including a coupon for the box and possible other goodies.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#14 of 635 OFFLINE   Travis D

Travis D

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 12:06 PM

I forgot these we're Paramount. Ew.

Back to the Future Trilogy MSRP $56.98 (3 discs, Universal)

Die Hard Ultimate Collection MSRP $69.98 (6 discs, Fox)

Jurassic Park Trilogy MSRP $75.98 (4 discs, Universal)

Godfather Trilogy MSRP$105.99 (5 discs, Paramount)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish Fox owned these. BADLY.
*Child holds up Fullscreen version*
Child : Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Rings! Daddy, what does it say at the top? I can't read it.
Father : There are few who can. The language is that of Mordor, which I shall not utter here.
Child : Mordor?
Father : In the common tongue, it reads, 'One...

#15 of 635 OFFLINE   James L White

James L White

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 12:11 PM

Quote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wish Fox owned these. BADLY.
Yep, if Fox did then they may be out already or at least Spielberg would be free to release them how he wants.Plus they'd have DTS with Paramount we can forget that Posted Image
Samsung HL-S5688W 56" DLP
Panasonic TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV (bedroom)
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD's
Panasonic BMP-BD60
Sony BDP300 Blu Rays (bedroom)

#16 of 635 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 12:37 PM

This is a tough choice...
I think I'd like to have all 4 in once nice box set though. Posted Image

#17 of 635 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

Supporting Actor

• 676 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 01:09 PM

There it is straight from the horse's mouth (or one of the horses anyway). I've said it time and again in the past, but I've never liked Paramount, I don't trust them, and they provide little to no value (in terms of a total package) with the majority of their DVD releases. That seems to be an unpopular opinion, but it isa valid opinion.

There was at least one member on this board a few years ago who reported the ongoing problems with Paramount and Lucasfilm. He was basically driven off the board because he had "no proof".

In any event, it's good to know that at least something is in the works for next year.

Regards,
Dan

#18 of 635 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,339 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 02:02 PM

I would choose a nice box but I would not complain if "decent" individual releases was the available route.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#19 of 635 OFFLINE   Vic_T

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 02:07 PM

I think the duel box set/individual release is fine, as long as they are released simultaneously. Releasing them later with added features only scr*ws the big fans that purchased them on the initial release. If the box set and the individual releases are out the same day then people can decide which way they want to go.
Hi, how's it going?

#20 of 635 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 02:22 PM

I wonder if Lucas will finally convince Speilberg to record commentary tracks for the Indy DVDs? A Lucas/Speilberg/Ford commentary track would be awesome! One can hope...

Forum Nav Content I Follow