Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Avia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Ray Kammer

Ray Kammer

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 06:15 PM

Would it be wise to buy the Avia calibration disk on Ebay or is that too risky? I can get one for bout $25.00. Thanks,
Ray K
Orlando, Florida

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 02:31 AM

Is it new or used? Does the seller have good or bad feedback? I have gotten a couple items of Ebay and overall it was very good, but it all depends on the seller.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." Frank Zappa

Dealer listing for Toronto & Area

My Shiva

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Bill Kane

Bill Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,373 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 07:26 AM

Another risk is whether the Avia keepcase still contains the original 3 video calibration filters in blue, red and green. (These can be obtained after the fact, but at the price of hassle/time).

For everyday user calibration (Contrast/Brightness/Tint-Hue/Sharpness/Color controls) one can just as well get the Sound&Vision Home Theatre Tune-Up disk (made by the Avia people) for $16 online; it uses one blue filter. It can be found at amazon.com, barnes&noble.com and elsewhere online.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Aaron Whitaker

Aaron Whitaker

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 07:49 AM

I hated S&V. It took too long to get to the test patterns. I like the menu system on Avia much better and with all 3 filters, I can calibrate my tv even better. With only one filter, I was calibrating to one color and the other colors would be off. With Avia I can get them all perfect but I can get to a happy medium where all the colors are close.

As far as ordering off ebay, I do it all the time. As long as the disc isn't scratched and it contains all 3 filters, I'd do it. I ended up getting mine from amazon for about $36 I beleive. A worthy investment.
No speakers were damaged in
the posting of this post.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Rick Faldo

Rick Faldo

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted December 14 2002 - 04:08 AM

Aaron:

S & V also has a menue that makes calibration much faster.
You don't need to watch and listen to those two people.
Rick

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 07:02 PM

Mash the menu button on the remote during the opening music of AVIA and you go straight to a menu from which you can select "advanced AVIA"--this takes you straight to the audio/video tests.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#7 of 9 Guest_Hank_*

Guest_Hank_*

Posted December 15 2002 - 10:15 PM

Go for it! IMO Avia is the best calibration disc out there. I use it way more than Video Essentials.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Doug Smith

Doug Smith

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted December 16 2002 - 07:04 AM

Does the Avia guide have 6.1 audio setup, or just 5.1?

#9 of 9 Guest_Hank_*

Guest_Hank_*

Posted December 16 2002 - 09:22 AM

5.1 surround tests only. The new VE disc will be 6.1/7.1 compatible.