What's new

Avia (1 Viewer)

Ray Kammer

Agent
Would it be wise to buy the Avia calibration disk on Ebay or is that too risky? I can get one for bout $25.00. Thanks,

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Is it new or used? Does the seller have good or bad feedback? I have gotten a couple items of Ebay and overall it was very good, but it all depends on the seller.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Another risk is whether the Avia keepcase still contains the original 3 video calibration filters in blue, red and green. (These can be obtained after the fact, but at the price of hassle/time).

For everyday user calibration (Contrast/Brightness/Tint-Hue/Sharpness/Color controls) one can just as well get the Sound&Vision Home Theatre Tune-Up disk (made by the Avia people) for $16 online; it uses one blue filter. It can be found at amazon.com barnes&noble.com and elsewhere online.

Aaron Whitaker

Stunt Coordinator
I hated S&V. It took too long to get to the test patterns. I like the menu system on Avia much better and with all 3 filters, I can calibrate my tv even better. With only one filter, I was calibrating to one color and the other colors would be off. With Avia I can get them all perfect but I can get to a happy medium where all the colors are close.

As far as ordering off ebay, I do it all the time. As long as the disc isn't scratched and it contains all 3 filters, I'd do it. I ended up getting mine from amazon for about $36 I beleive. A worthy investment.

Rick Faldo

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron:

S & V also has a menue that makes calibration much faster.
You don't need to watch and listen to those two people.
Rick

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Mash the menu button on the remote during the opening music of AVIA and you go straight to a menu from which you can select "advanced AVIA"--this takes you straight to the audio/video tests.

H

Hank

Go for it! IMO Avia is the best calibration disc out there. I use it way more than Video Essentials.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks