-

Photo

Superfriends, Batman, Justice League and X-Men, April 22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#1 of 72 OFFLINE   Anthony Liz

Anthony Liz

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 12:01 AM

WB has announced a 4/22/2003 release date for the following:

Challenge of the Superfriends

A nostalgic compilation of the classic 1978 TV cartoons. Superman leads a superhero team comprised of the greatest DC Comics superheroes against a team of 13 of the most notorious DC Comics supervillians. Episodes include: Wanted The Superfriends, Invasion of the Fearians, The World's Deadliest Game, The Time Trap, Trial of the Superfriends

Batman Animated Series: Tales of the Dark Knight

Justice League: Justice on Trial

X-Men: Evolution/Mutants Rising

Each one retails for $19.98.

Menu Screenshots
Faster Than a Speeding Laserdisc...
www.DVDtoons.com

#2 of 72 OFFLINE   Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 12:50 AM

Thanks Anthony, great news about Superfriends! According to Pazsaz, these are the first five episodes from the Challenge Of The Superfriends season. Can't wait!

#3 of 72 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 01:00 AM

I hope the Batman release continues to release the cartoons IN ORDER - but judging from the name I doubt it, I would expect a vol 2 somewhere if they were. Posted Image

I don't want BATMAN:TAS going the same way as Scooby Doo with single episodes duplicated over minimal releases.
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#4 of 72 OFFLINE   Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 01:02 AM

Alright! Though I must say that I would have loved a two disc set of the Superfriends with all the 13 shows, I will be more than happy with this for I am sure they are 'testing' the waters!

What is this JL title they speak of....

#5 of 72 OFFLINE   ChuckDeLa

ChuckDeLa

Screenwriter

• 2,802 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 03:27 AM

Hopefully they will release ALL of the Superfriends episodes and shorts eventually. I would buy a comprehensive box set in a heartbeat!!

#6 of 72 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,212 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 12 2002 - 03:40 AM

Quote:
I hope the Batman release continues to release the cartoons IN ORDER - but judging from the name I doubt it, I would expect a vol 2 somewhere if they were. Posted Image
While I agree that I hope it's the next five episodes, and also I agree that it is very likely a "best of", I wouldn't give up hope yet... the first disc was called "The Legend Begins" so perhaps they are still releasing them in episode order, only with a serialized name for each release.

I'll be awaiting further details on this... it's the only one of the four I'd be interesting in buying.

#7 of 72 OFFLINE   Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 03:42 AM

Anyone here know why in the current version of the superfriends Hawkman is a woman? Back when we had Marvin the WonderDog I swear Hawkman was a man. Was there always a Hawkwoman? Or is he/she one of these new-agey makeovers and therefore transgendered?

#8 of 72 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 04:06 AM

Quote:
While I agree that I hope it's the next five episodes, and also I agree that it is very likely a "best of", I wouldn't give up hope yet... the first disc was called "The Legend Begins" so perhaps they are still releasing them in episode order, only with a serialized name for each release.

Yeah, I know about the 'Legend Begins' subtitle on the first release. I would expect a sequential next release to drop the subtitle and just be 'Batman the Animated Series Vol II' or such like.

If they are still doing sequential releases, what's the next one going to be sub-titled? 'Shadows of the Bat'? 'Legends of the Caped Crusader'? or the one after that? How are people going to keep them in order?

At best it shows lack of foresight by Warners - at worse it shows their lack of commitment to a proper, ongoing, sequential release?

#9 of 72 OFFLINE   Todd_B

Todd_B

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 04:30 AM

Quote:
Anyone here know why in the current version of the superfriends Hawkman is a woman? Back when we had Marvin the WonderDog I swear Hawkman was a man. Was there always a Hawkwoman? Or is he/she one of these new-agey makeovers and therefore transgendered?

I do believe there was a Hawkwoman in the original..?

Todd B
Darmok and Jilad, at Tanagra.

#10 of 72 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 04:40 AM

I'll be dissapointed if the TAS releases break from original order/complete run.

I'm sure to be dissapointed by the lack of 16x9 enhanced video on Justice League.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#11 of 72 OFFLINE   Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor

• 656 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 06:58 AM

Hawkwoman has been around as long as Hawkman, since the 1940s or so...
Whenever the laws of any state are broken, a duly authorized organization swings into action. It may be the called the State Police, State Troopers, Militia, the Rangers, or the Highway Patrol THE CITIZENS AUXILIARY POLICE!!! These are the stories of the men whose training, skill, and courage,...

#12 of 72 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 07:58 AM

I hope Batman: TAS is sticking to the production order release. If they want to do serialized titles for each release, fine. They'll probably run out of titles after a while, but stick to the production order.

The Justice League disc sounds like it'll just have 104 & 105 (In Blackest Night) on it. I hope it has more than just 2 episodes on it. At least have 106 & 107 (The Enemy Below) on there as well. If it's just 2 episodes per disc then that'll suck so much. Posted Image

#13 of 72 OFFLINE   Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor

• 656 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 10:07 AM

I want the 1970s Batman cartoon to be released... the one that included Adam West and Burt Ward doing the voices, as well as featuring the characters of Batgirl and *blush* Bat-Mite....
Whenever the laws of any state are broken, a duly authorized organization swings into action. It may be the called the State Police, State Troopers, Militia, the Rangers, or the Highway Patrol THE CITIZENS AUXILIARY POLICE!!! These are the stories of the men whose training, skill, and courage,...

#14 of 72 OFFLINE   Dewitte

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 01:12 PM

Quote:
I hope Batman: TAS is sticking to the production order release. If they want to do serialized titles for each release, fine. They'll probably run out of titles after a while, but stick to the production order.

Production is great but sort of problematic when it comes to two-part episodes. While there are no problems with "Feat of Clay," "Two-Face" is another issue entirely. The second episode was produced about five or six episodes after the first (but aired consecutively).

De
Retroactive Continuity - Yet another source of nuttiness on the Web!

#15 of 72 OFFLINE   florence franks

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 08:17 PM

great news! thanks for update

#16 of 72 OFFLINE   florence franks

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 08:47 PM

Found more info on this from toonzone:

The eighty-nine minute Justice League DVD is expected to contain the two-part "In Blackest Night," as well as the two-part "The Enemy Below," both episodes with trial-like themes. The Batman DVD has a running time of 112 minutes and looks to be a compilation of animated Batman episodes. The Superfriends DVD, which has a 109 minute running time, will contain the episodes "Wanted: The Superfriends," "Invasion of the Fearians," "The World's Deadliest Game," "The Time Trap," and "Trial of the Superfriends."

There will also be Superman DVDs in the first wave of WB Superhero DVDs, which is expected to hit shelves on Tuesday, April 22, 2003. All of the DVDs will retail for $19.98. For menu shots of the Batman and Superfriends DVDs, go here.

#17 of 72 OFFLINE   James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 09:55 PM

Quote:
The eighty-nine minute Justice League DVD is expected to contain the two-part "In Blackest Night," as well as the two-part "The Enemy Below," both episodes with trial-like themes.

Does anyone know if these are sequential episodes, or is Warner picking and choosing?

Even if they are sequential - 4 episodes? Jeez, it will take forever for the series to come out!

#18 of 72 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,520 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 10:08 PM

WOW!
Superfriends.
I will purchase this ASAP.
I will also pick up Justice League.
Looks like 2003 is already shaping up pertty good for TV stuffPosted Image

all-banner.jpg

#19 of 72 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 01:14 AM

I just ADORED Batman TAS and New Adventures and just got about 50 episodes on ebay (on VHSPosted Image)

Im hoping Tales will be more episodes in order and not a "best of". sigh!

#20 of 72 OFFLINE   Chuck L

Chuck L

Screenwriter

• 1,008 posts

Posted December 13 2002 - 03:49 AM

I am with you Matthew! Those are long overdue, the Batman's that ran on CBS and NBC in the late 70's and early 80's. Those were a lot of fun, and if I recall, looked great for the time period!

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow