What's new

"no black bars" sticker on full-frame ver of UNFAITHFUL (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i wish someone remembered to ask peter last week in the chat about this sticker on the fox full frame movies.

our video store just got our retail copies in and the fool frame ones have that sticker on it.

it's a shame they feel they still need to do this.
it seems to be moving backwords instead of moving forward and somehow helping people understand why widescreen is better.

maybe the wider is better clips that have been on dvd's like DIE HARD should be on the full frame movies too.

just another note the video store is getting only the fool frame version of this movie for rental too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Man, as much as I love Fox, I can't help but
to be disappointed by this move.

Why is Fox putting stickers like this out there?

Don't they realize that they are only making the
situation worse? They are actually now promoting
DVDs without black bars, as if the bars were a bad
thing in the first place.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
But it's not true if you're using a widescreen TV!
BTW thank you Peter for responding, I know you're probably not allowed to say too much. Just hope someone understands the concern.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Like it or not there is a market for people who want full screen discs so I don't hold it against Fox for releasing p&s titles and labeling them as such. As long as oar is available I'll be a happy camper. If and when a title that I'd like to see is released as full screen only (like the Powerpuff Girls movie) I'll just show my disapproval by getting something else.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
What I'd like to see are stickers that read:

COMPLETE ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSION

and

WARNING!!! MODIFIED FROM ORIGINAL VERSION FOR T.V.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
Those that buy full screen movies seem to need a big blazing sticker on the front cover.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
With how it is now, people see the P&S version the "No Black Bars" sticker beside the Widescreen version, and who can blame them for thinking "non-defective vs. defective", and with the label "Full Frame", who can blame for thinking that the black bars are covering part of the frame.

It is as if the studios want people to think "black bars = bad", just so they can justify P&S only releases, and have enthusiasts so craving for OAR releases that they will jump start HD-DVD when the time comes.

I wouldn't be as against this if they had a similar sticker for OAR releases. Maybe something like "As the Director Indended", "As Seen in Theaters", or "The Complete Picture". At least people would realize the actual choice they are making when seeing the two boxes side by side.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ I completely agree. They need to SHOW them the difference first.

"Maybe it's because of a direct request from the customer who's buying the discs? "

If those customers went so far as to complain about widescreen movies, then shouldn't they have learned to differentiate between WS and FS versions of DVDs by now?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The term "Fullscreen" and "Full Frame" REALLY need to stop being used, too (I first saw it used on New Line's Special Edition VHS of Escape From New York, which was put out in both letterbox and pan and scan versions.)
It's also a shame that a store that often doesn't mark prices, doesn't arrange their stock and puts out discs thrown into a bin haphazardly that customers have to DIG through to see what's there (not to mention puts out new titles before street date, which supposedly other stores get in trouble for!) has that much pull with the studios.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thanks for the reply peter. you're a good man for putting up with all our complaints and requests all the time.

i think that if people want a full frame version they should know well enough that they can look on the back and see if it is a full frame only version.

i think it still would be better to not say "no black bars" as that makes the bars seem like a bad thing.

if it must have the sticker then a compromise would be "full frame version"
or label the actual dvd package itself more clearly on the front with something that says full frame very largely and clearly
so no sticker is needed.
and please don't start calling the studio dumb or any other names like that it isn't going to do any good and is not a constructive critisism.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I think your getting dangerously close to the lowest common denominator when you start catering to people who can't even figure out what "Fullscreen" means.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Maybe it's because of a direct request from the customer who's buying the discs?
Thanks Peter for chiming in.

Can I make a similar direct customer request for stickers like mentioned above on OAR releases? (ie "As Director Intended", "The Complete Picture", etc.)

Who can blame you for making your customers more aware of what they are getting? But please make it go both ways.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I think your getting dangerously close to the lowest common denominator when you start catering to people who can't even figure out what "Fullscreen" means.
I think the clearer the information is, the better. Why shouldn't the sticker say:

"This picture on this version has been cropped to fit the full frame of older TV sets."

Let's be COMPLETELY honest.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I don't have a big problem with separate OAR and reformatted DVDs, so long as the OAR version is available.

But what is to gain by promoting the reformatted versions in such a way as to imply that is better?

This is not simply labelling the different versions, it is promoting the non-OAR version.

Why?

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Here's an idea...keep the "Full Screen" name, but instead of the "No Black Bars!" sticker, why not take this approach:

Put a large sticker on the shrinkwrap with a picture of the film frame, showing what you see in widescreen and fullscreen, and this text: "Modified to fit standard television sets; portions of the image have been removed in order for the image to fill standard television screens". Also, an "Also available in widescreen" sticker for those who care.

Widescreen discs ones should have a similar set of labels on the shrinkwrap, except the text should be altered to something explaining widescreen, and that "black bars may be visible on the top and bottom of your television screen", as well as an "Also available in fullscreen" sticker for those who care...

Did you get all that, Peter? Anyway, if you did, it's basically an unoffensive way to explain what a consumer is getting with more than a banner and a small disclaimer on the back...take my advice, and consider it...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks