What's new

Who owns the rights to "Grand Prix"? (1 Viewer)

David Biggs

Agent
And while I'm on the subject, how about "Lemans".

I've looked around and find it very difficult to get any information as to when (if ever) these two titles will be released on DVD.

Any information would be helpful. Considering the subject matter and the lack of good racing movies available on DVD (Driven? Yuck...) both of these movies are just begging for release.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Grand Prix was part of the MGM / Turner Library. So the best bet is that it is now owned by Warner Brothers.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Both are currently available in VHS, so it's only a matter of the owners deciding to put them on DVD.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
What is taking Grand Prix so long to come out? Most of Frankenheimer's other successful films have now been released, with Black Sunday coming from Paramount in the Fall.

RichD

Agent
LeMans is already out on DVD.
It came out earlier this year. Good anamorphic transfer, solid disc. Grab it! Would've been nice if they had included as extras some of the behind the scenes stuff Speedvision showed when they aired the film, but it's a good bargain at $15.
I too would love to see Grand Prix. It actually has been restored, or at least the print is servicable. Speedvision showed it in all its widescreen glory. Gimme gimme, on DVD! ;)

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
The saddest part is that John Frankenheimer happily recorded commentaries for most of his films that were released on DVD. With his passing we'll obviously not be getting to hear his opinions on any eventual Grand Prix release.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Turner Classic Movies regularly broadcasts Grand Prix in letterbox. I recorded this title to a DVD-R sometime ago and it came out prety good. Kind of a soap opera type plot with losts a nice racing scenes. Get yourself a RAM / R recorder and you are all set.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Ah... the exploding tea-trolley movie! If only Frankenheimer was still with us to tell that anecdote on a commentary! :laugh:
Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks