Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Who owns the rights to "Grand Prix"?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   David Biggs

David Biggs

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 04:43 PM

And while I'm on the subject, how about "Lemans".

I've looked around and find it very difficult to get any information as to when (if ever) these two titles will be released on DVD.

Any information would be helpful. Considering the subject matter and the lack of good racing movies available on DVD (Driven? Yuck...) both of these movies are just begging for release.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 05:24 PM

Grand Prix was part of the MGM / Turner Library. So the best bet is that it is now owned by Warner Brothers.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,112 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted December 10 2002 - 06:23 PM

GRAND PRIX was released on laserdisc by MGM; LE MANS was relased on laserdisc by Fox.
Rich Gallagher

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted December 11 2002 - 11:59 AM

Both are currently available in VHS, so it's only a matter of the owners deciding to put them on DVD.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted December 12 2002 - 01:40 AM

LeMans is a Paramount title. Fox no longer owns this one.

Jeff

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 20 2003 - 02:20 AM

What is taking Grand Prix so long to come out? Most of Frankenheimer's other successful films have now been released, with Black Sunday coming from Paramount in the Fall.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted July 20 2003 - 02:28 AM

Grand Prix was shot in Super Panavision 70, so it may need some work.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   RichD

RichD

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 02:57 AM

LeMans is already out on DVD.

It came out earlier this year. Good anamorphic transfer, solid disc. Grab it! Would've been nice if they had included as extras some of the behind the scenes stuff Speedvision showed when they aired the film, but it's a good bargain at $15.

I too would love to see Grand Prix. It actually has been restored, or at least the print is servicable. Speedvision showed it in all its widescreen glory. Gimme gimme, on DVD! Posted Image

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 07:55 AM

The saddest part is that John Frankenheimer happily recorded commentaries for most of his films that were released on DVD. With his passing we'll obviously not be getting to hear his opinions on any eventual Grand Prix release.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 08:22 AM

Turner Classic Movies regularly broadcasts Grand Prix in letterbox. I recorded this title to a DVD-R sometime ago and it came out prety good. Kind of a soap opera type plot with losts a nice racing scenes. Get yourself a RAM / R recorder and you are all set.

#11 of 12 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,036 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 20 2003 - 08:38 AM

I think it's only a matter of time before Grand Prix comes out.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted July 20 2003 - 09:48 PM

Ah... the exploding tea-trolley movie! If only Frankenheimer was still with us to tell that anecdote on a commentary! Posted Image

Gordy