Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Moives with great "Surround Sound "

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Kachi Khatri

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted December 09 2002 - 04:20 PM

What are some movies with great surround sound? (Aside from the new Star Wars movie)

I need to put my new speakers through a workout.
I've seen threads/links on movies with good bass workout.

Thanks!
Kachi.

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma

Second Unit

• 423 posts

Posted December 09 2002 - 11:02 PM

Any of the Pixar movies are pretty good (Toy Story 1&2, Monsters Inc., A Bugz Life, etc). Also, If you've got a quality TV, they'll show off that as well.

--Steve

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   George Martin

George Martin

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 01:02 AM

If you are looking for lots of subtle surround effects you can also try Sweet November. In most of the scenes the rear ambiance always has somthing going on to make you feel like you are really there, in the coffee shop, when they are walking in the streets, riding the trolly car. even in the aprtment you can hear the ambiant sounds of the city around them.

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 01:51 AM

Requiem for a Dream
Se7en
Being John Malkovich
Any submarine movie
"I was wandering the woods, thinking about Christ. If He was a carpenter, I wondered what he charged for bookshelves."

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted December 10 2002 - 01:52 AM

Some others:

Saving Private Ryan
Apocalyose Now
Dracula (1992 Coppola)
Fast And The Furious

Cheers,
Felix

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Andy Polo

Andy Polo

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 01:56 AM

Gladiator has a great dolby ex sound... (the 6:1 ratio speakers) if you have a center rear it is really neat to hear during his first execution, by the army guys, when he throws the sword and kills the dude (good detail eh?) anyways it is the best 3-d sound that i have heard when something is going directly from the back to the front! really cool...

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 04:58 AM

This is covered in the FAQ AND PRIMER, see my sig.
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   James Zos

James Zos

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 05:20 AM

Black Hawk Down has by far the best surround sound I have yet heard. It is relatively common to have sounds coming from each speaker during a movie, but Black Hawk Down creates a seamless blend so that for the first time I really felt I was SURROUNDED by the sounds of battle. Very, very good sound mix (I think it won an academy award for sound as a result.)

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Declan

Declan

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 05:30 AM

I always thought that Black hawk down sounded a little "flat". Not bad sound at all, but not as aggressive as i would have thought. We Were Soldiers I thought had an amazing 5.1 track. Very VERY active.
"So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed"

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

• 1,551 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 07:07 AM

Declan, you stole what I was going to suggest. We Were Soldiers is amazing. Fast & Furious is also pretty good.
"I'm your Huckleberry"

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   Declan

Declan

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 07:42 AM

Yep Fast and the Furious in DTS is scary at ref level, but try it louder than that and the cops could be callinPosted Image

James, did you have to turn Black hawk down up on your amp to get a desired level or were you happy with it at ref level. Every time i played it i usually had to trun it up (at least 5db more and sometimes 10db) to get a good powerfull "thump" out of it. The rear channels were not nearly as aggressive as other recent war movies, although the actual sound design was very well done, i just wished that it could have been mixed more aggressively (using that word alot today for some reason).

other surround discs I would include:

Armageddon,

The Rock,

Saving private ryan,

Air Force one (great stuff during chapters 6, 7 and 8),

Speed (remastered DTS track)

Contact,

Perfect storm (put this on today after nearly 18months
since i last seen it and was absolutley blown away, no pun intendedPosted Image ),

U-571,

Pearl Harbor,

Blade 2 (make sure your sub is turned down for this),

Die hard With a vengence (fantastic New york atmosphere),

Strange days( those vr sequences take full advantage of the 5.1 pallette),

Eraser (the rail gun scenes),

Face/off (chapter 3 and 4),

T2,

Disney's Atlantis (the opening sequence),

Gone in 60 Seconds (chapter 25, when Elinor gets started),

Joyride, (one of the best 5.1 tracks i've heard this year, it has everything, loads of ambience, gunfire, trucks engine rumbles out of the sub),

Thats all i can think of, off the top of my head........
"So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed"

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 09:07 AM

Quote:
Thats all i can think of, off the top of my head...

That's a pert-near perfect list there, Declan! Posted Image

May I add:

APOLLO 13

JURASSIC PARK

HEAT (Oooh, that street shoot-out Posted Image !! ... And at the airport @ the end!)

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted December 10 2002 - 10:25 AM

The Image version of City Lights (soon to be replaced by WHV's new SE) had a PCM 2.0 surround track that is wonderful. It's nice in stereo mode, but it was clearly encoded with surround sound. In this mode, the music surrounds you with a lot of power.

I'm really hoping Warner keeps the PCM track...this is one of the best sounding tracks period.

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Declan

Declan

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 10:25 AM

Cheers David Posted Image
Jesus cant belive i forgot those 3, had them spinning within the last week as well. (although Apollo13 was the PCM LD track, which is still excellent).

A few others that have came back into my head are:

Independance Day (one of the most powerfull Dolby Digital tracks on DVD),

Fight club (obviously),

Swordfish (opening explosion and car chase, not to mention the thumps off the helicopters roators ),

Driven (not high art, but it friggin sounds great),

Pitch black (opening crash landing),

Se7en (is you want subtle/aggressive surround check out the DTS 6.1 on this baby, although DTS 5.1 is the best i can listen to it, at the min),

Any Given sunday/ Remember the titans (2 very different styles of movies focusing on one thing, American football, or as you call it in America......."football"Posted Image . Great subwoofer moments when players tackle each other. Any Given sunday is the more aggressive of the 2, but would you expect anything less from Mr. O Stone),

again I'm sure theres more i'm missing here and cant belive that i forgot Jurassic park, which for my money is probably the best ever use of sound effects/editing and mixing, even more impressive than Private Ryan............now theres something controversalPosted Image

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   Robert Lovejoy

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 01:58 PM

12 Monkeys had some great surround effects too!

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 02:42 PM

A lot of people seem to be going for the big sound surround (you did suggest films that give the system a good work out, I suppose), but I will take a different tack and suggest Amelie. The use of surround in that film is perfect and shows just how much of a difference 5.1 can make to a low key film (for want of a better expression) and that it is not just something for shaking the foundations.

regards, Tim...
"If we are all God's children, then what is so special about Jesus?"

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   Scott Burke

Scott Burke

Second Unit

• 351 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted December 10 2002 - 03:46 PM

Come on people! Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring has a ROCKING sound track. It shakes the very foundation of my house. This is a must hear.

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H.

Stunt Coordinator

• 131 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 04:04 PM

The Patriot, Super Bit (Mel Gibson) has astounding surround
sound!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
For progress pictures of my HT click on the link.

http://community.web...om/user/danjh38

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 04:28 PM

There are plenty to choose from. One of my old favourites is A Bug's Life. When Flik enters bug city, the cars/bugs whizz by across the channels at high speed. Voices come from split surround channels, like when the fly gets booted from the bar. The ending rainstorm sequence is a real delight too.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   James Zos

James Zos

Supporting Actor

• 727 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 05:01 PM

"James, did you have to turn Black hawk down up on your amp to get a desired level or were you happy with it at ref level. Every time i played it i usually had to trun it up (at least 5db more and sometimes 10db) to get a good powerfull "thump" out of it."

Well, see, maybe you and I have a different definition of what makes a good surround sound track.
I liked Black Hawk Down because it WASN'T just loudly thumping away the whole time. Even though you were dealing with a lot of small arms fire and explosions, it had a subtle quality that I really liked. I DON'T like 5.1 tracks that really try to wallop you over the head and call attention to themselves constantly. Black Hawk Down, for me at least, created a seamless, very immersive and believable experience, even if it didn't pound the hell out of my sub.