What's new

New B.O.C. DVD.....one word WOW! (1 Viewer)

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Just browsing at Best Buy yesterday, I came across a new DVD by Blue Oyster Cult. I hadn't even heard that this was going to be released so was very suprised to see it there on the shelf.

A Long Day's Night is the title of the DVD. Track listing: Stairway To The Stars, Burning For You, OD'd On Life Itself, E.T.I., Dance On Stilts, Harvester Of Eyes, Buck's Boogie, Quicklime Girl, Flaming Telepaths, Harvest Moon, Last Days Of May, Cities On Flame, M.E.262, Perfect Water, Lips In The Hills, Godzilla, Don't Fear The Reaper, Dominance And Submission, The Red And The Black.
Includes Band Interviews, Fan Interviews, Behind The Scenes Footage. Audio in Dolby Digital Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, and DTS Surround. Also, although not stated, it's in widescreen (looks around 1:85).
Now, I've only watched the disc on my laptop (since I'm out of town at seminar), but this disc is simply AMAZING! The sound is incredible. The concert (recorded on the Summer Solstice, June 21 2002 at the Navy Pier/Skyline Stage in Chicago) is mainly just the band playing live. Make no mistake about it, the band is in TOP FORM...Dharma Buck's guitar playing (lots of closeups on his fingers and strings) is consistently blazing!
All I can say is, if you are a B.O.C. fan grab this disc ASAP! Although I was pretty pleased with the track selection...would have love a couple of my personal favotires to be included such as Nosferatu, Before The Kiss, A Redcap, The Vigil, In Thee, Your Not The One I Was Looking For, Golden Age Of Leather, Fire Of Unknown Origin, Joan Crawford, Vetern Of The Psychic Wars, Cagey Cretins....and ANYTHING from Imaginos! Then there is the one obivious track omission, Astronomy.
....and on that note
Just found out that there was a live CD(****Stars rating, the highest of any of their live recordings, over at All Music Guide) of this show released last year (yeah, I missed this as well...just thought I was a B.O.C. fan!). The CD is missing 6 songs from the DVD...but DID include the one song that I was most suprised to not see on the DVD track listing, Astronomy. Wonder why in the hell we didn't get Astronomy on the DVD...this is my one criticism of A Long Day's Night. This is a song, along with Don't Fear and Godzilla that you would most expect to find on a B.O.C. concert video....strange!
Anyway....I cannot WAIT to get home and cue up this baby on my home system! B.O.C. is a band that is currently performing at the level of their strongest years...their last new releases Imaginos and Curse of The Hidden Mirror are as strong as anything they've ever done, and I think that they are better that ever live. Few of their rock peers have been able to accomplish what B.O.C. have! Once again,against all odds, B.O.C. is a band to follow.
My new favorite concert DVD...by far.
Jon

Art C

Agent
Thanks for the info I will love to add this one
to the collection. It is great to hear that B.O.C.
is still kicking.
ART :D

David R. Hendrickson

Stunt Coordinator
curious which version of Astronomy you prefer, the Reaper or the Imaginos version?

i prefer the Imaginos version myself. just seems a little more "complete" than the original.

dave

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the head's up. You ever get the 1974 live DVD? Quality isn't the greatest, but great for historical context.
I heard that the Black and Blue DVD (Sabbath and BOC in ~1981 is "delayed'.)
I personally think it would be hard to beat On Your Feet or On Your Knees. I don't care if the band liked it or not. It rocks! :)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm waiting for the rest of the catalogue to be remastered so I can ditch those "budget price" covers for Mirrors and Revolution by Night. The first four discs are excellent.

It is odd that Astronomy isn't on the DVD, Quicklime Girl, Lips in the Hills, and Last Days of May are cool to have. I can still remember the first time I saw BOC live on an outdoor festival bill with Heart, Ted Nugent, and a bunch of other bands I can't recall right now. The last time I saw them was at a small club. I agree it's great the still kick out the jams...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I saw them in Pgh back in the late 70's a few times. One time, they made it, but their gear didn't (snow storm in Buffalo or something), so they had to borrow from a local band Diamond Reo (not the same as that *other* band).

One of the best concerts I ever saw, because you could tell they were a little bummed that they couldn't do their "normal" show at that time with all the lasers and smokepots and stuff, but they made up for it with the music.

Buck Dharma just weaves magic on those strings and frets...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks