Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Season Finale!!!!! Sopranos Show #13 "WhiteCaps"

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 of 129 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,283 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 11:53 AM

10:15pm EST
Steve Simon
Home Theater Forum
Retired Administration

#2 of 129 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,067 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 12:41 PM

Please remember that this season finale run for about 75-80 minutes long, so if you record it via VCR, set your VCR to record a 90 minute block at the normal start time. I hope some serious stuff goes down in tonight's season finale. Will Paulie come clean with Tony, or will Tony try and whack Carmine? Will Uncle Junior get sent up the river? Will Christopher be "recovered" or did he get "turned while in "rehab"? Will Paulie and Silvio make up? Will the NY and NJ mob families duke it out? Who gets it in the black SUV? Will Bobby get food poisoning from eating Karen's Ziti that's been sitting in the freezer for over half a year? Will Janice be obnoxious and self-serving? Will Carmela get over herself (maybe finally get diagnosed for menopause)? Will AJ find a clue? Will Meadow break her leg skiing?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 129 OFFLINE   RonR

RonR

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 12:56 PM

Will Adriana get a new dog? Posted Image

Let's rock!

#4 of 129 OFFLINE   Jason_Els

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

• 1,096 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 02:18 PM

Amazing scenes with Tony and Carm. Made me very, very sad. Powerful acting. I could just feel the years slipping through their hands and what love left withering away.

That SUV turned into yet another red herring.

Is Chris really straight? Is Ade going to continue this? Still too much unanswered.

Johnny's mad. Boo hoo. Tony better watch his back. If looks could kill!

This has been a great episode and lays the groundwork for a season where we won't know who can and can't be trusted. Tony's getting it from all sides. I'm not happy with the situation. If Tony lives through the next season I'll be surprised.

Here's to next season!! Posted Image

Anyone else on Cablevision have nasty drops and pixelation? Can't believe they couldn't handle the load. Posted Image

Amp my foot! That was a receiver! Posted Image What speakers were those? And blaring Dean Martin?? Not exactly the most annoying music they could have chosen.
For beauty is only a step removed from a burning terror we barely sustain, and we worship it for the graceful sublimity with which it disdains to consume us. - Rainer Maria Rilke

My DVD Collection

#5 of 129 OFFLINE   Bruce N

Bruce N

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 02:21 PM

Posted Image
"Why do I get the feeling you'll be the death of me?"

#6 of 129 OFFLINE   Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 02:23 PM

I thought it was a great episode but not a great season finale. It didn't have that special feel that I usually look for to bookend seasons. The stuff with Carmela was very wrenching and the boat at the end was great - it made me want to go buy some Dean Martin albums. I think Johnny Sack's earned a dirt nap with his last tirade. He's gone too far over the line. I wasn't surprised that Junior got off. Once they got to the juror, it was a lock.
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#7 of 129 OFFLINE   Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 02:23 PM

Ill second that....

Posted Image

This episode truly was all about the family.

#8 of 129 OFFLINE   MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 02:24 PM

It was alright, but was in line with the entire season. Not much happening and not very good compared with last seasons. It was a good episode, but not season finale material. Overall I think the entire season was a letdown, it was overhyped and couldn't live up to the hype.
Michael Alletto

#9 of 129 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,067 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 02:27 PM

Hmm...it was okay.

Tony decides to buy a shore house.

The whack job was a fake out, these are getting predictable.

Carmine comes to his senses.

Uncle Junior gets off with a hung jury and gets his mistrial. At home, he notices that Bobby and Janice are a bit too friendly and he sends Bobby on an errand to cool them off.

Carmela gets a calls from Irina who spills the beans on Tony's extramarital affairs, and we're subject to an hour of 2 people now in the thralls of divorce. Tony is obstinate in wanting to stay in his house. The fireworks between Tony and Carmela recounting all the bad stuff that happened (infidelity and lifestyle), and Camela landed the big punch with the revelation that she had the hots for Furio. Tony missed with two roundhouse right's into the drywall.

The shore house (named "Whitecaps") is being sold by a lawyer, who lives next door to Whitecaps. When Tony decides against buying the house, the stupid lawyer tries to squeeze Tony for the $200K deposit. Tony has his boat out just off shore playing Dean Martin songs really really loud. This drives the lawyer's wife nuts. Tony's gonna get his deposit back. Posted Image

Tony finally decides that it's for the best to leave his house.

Johnny Sacks is pissed that Tony called off the hit.

#10 of 129 OFFLINE   todbnla

todbnla

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts
  • Location39466

Posted December 08 2002 - 02:30 PM

YES, this is the second or third week in a row where I had that problem! Posted Image Oh well, time to move on to Satellite!

I though the show was very good except like others have posted, a little slow in the sense of a big season ending climax with whacks and such.

I was almost stunned to see the scene where Janice is in the kitchen with Bobby, I think I just lost any respect I had for him. I also think Uncle Junior is on to her crap.

So now how long until the next season???

Regards,
Todd

My Blue-Ray & SD DVD's

Current HT setup: Vizio E601-A3 60" Led display, Pioneer VSX-521-k, Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player, SVS 2531PCi sub, Polk R30 mains, Polk CS125 center, Polk R15 x4 rears

#11 of 129 OFFLINE   Steven Simon

Steven Simon

Producer

• 3,283 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 02:34 PM

I have very few words to say about this season. Boring...
Steve Simon
Home Theater Forum
Retired Administration

#12 of 129 OFFLINE   Colin-H

Colin-H

Second Unit

• 391 posts

This episode fooled everyone... most people I know were taking bets on who was gonna get whacked this week, and what happens? NO ONE gets it. The only killing was to keep word of the plans for Carmine from spreading. I think the writers did us a great deed by not sticking with the formula they'd followed for final episodes in past seasons.
"At least Kurosawa doesn't give his samurai hairstyles that make them look like drug dealers from some intergalactic trailer park, as Mr. Lucas did with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker."

DVD List | 2003 film list

#13 of 129 OFFLINE   Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Let me get this straight...No one gets whacked in the season finale???? If this is true, this show really has toned down.

#14 of 129 OFFLINE   Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 02:35 PM

[quote] lays the groundwork [quote]
When Season 4 comes out on DVD, I hope this phrase is on the front of the box, in bold print, because thats mostly the only thing this entire season does (besides inducing sleep)

The only plot from this entire season that I feel deserved the attention it got this season was Carm / Furio = separation

Juniors trial and Bobby + Janice plots were needlessly strung out just to give us a starting point for next season.

Don't get me wrong, this episode had its merits. It was well acted and the separation will hopefully stir up the Sopranos pot a bit.

But man, as a whole this season could put me to sleep quicker than a bottle of NyQuil.

Out of 13 episodes I can count on one hand the number of episodes that were of the caliber of previous seasons of Sopranos.
But, I guess groundwork isn't always exciting, is it?
JQ

#15 of 129 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,302 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 02:38 PM

I Know I know the Detractors who expected multiple Whackings are going to be in here saying this whole season was all Set up for the finale year and they are correct but what a set up. I never really forsaw Tony leaving his own house. The acting tonight especially from Falco and JG was certainly Emmy Worthy. Especially Falco. I Can see both sides of the issue Tony ad a point and Carmela knew it that she knew who she'd marry. Why do I get the Suspicion that Junir might get off'd by janice and Janice might be the only Soprano left standing when the dust clears. Good show tonight and Fascinating Developments I cannot wait for the Final Season. Now Bring On OZ and Six Feet Under.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#16 of 129 OFFLINE   Carl Miller

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

• 1,461 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 02:39 PM

[quote] This has been a great episode and lays the groundwork for a season where we won't know who can and can't be trusted. [quote]

This has been an entire seasons worth of "wait till next week", and now it has turned into wait till next season.
At least the show has been consistant its dullness.
Carl

#17 of 129 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,067 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 02:42 PM

Before the start of Season 4, there were interviews with Chase where he said he envisioned Season 4 and 5 as one big "season". So if the season is 26 episodes long, then we're still in the "laying the groundwork" portion of it.

But you have to realize, this episode represents an important turning point for Tony Soprano. He'll have to contend with the divorce, but he's now out of his personal family, and that means he's got plenty of time for organizing some crimes! Posted Image

#18 of 129 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,302 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 02:46 PM

Guys inthe Grand themes of things of what the Sopranos was and Is all about this was a huge episode. The 1st Season laid out was this show was all about. Family. It was about the Tony trying to hold his Family Together despite his career. Now this as all Shattered. is Professional Family is in No Better Shape. Look at where this family was in the first Seasonand where it is now. Things Have definately progressed. And if all your looking for is whacking you are watching the Wrong Series.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#19 of 129 OFFLINE   Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 03:00 PM

[quote] And if all your looking for is whacking you are watching the Wrong Series. [quote]
No one is looking for a commercial free hour of people getting shot. But this argument is like saying you shouldn't be watching Buffy if all you wanna see is vampires, or you shouldnt be watching CSI if all you wanna see is people being shot, or you shouldnt be watching Boston Public if all you wanna see is high school students being stupid. The criticism that not enough people were being killed this season is just a symptom of the disease - lack of any action. You can say The Sopranos is about Family until the day you die, but for three seasons that Sopranos provided a nice dose of healthy action - which involved people getting killed. Now thats taken away and the Sopranos audience is clearly divided.

I'm looking for what the show gave us the first 3 years - great stories executed in a timely manner, some action, some story lines that are actually involving (instead of Paulie's moms problems at the retirement home), along with an overreaching theme or two (Carm and Furio would have been fine).

Instead? We got a season that tried to bring Tonys world down around him TOO FAST.
JQ

#20 of 129 OFFLINE   Brett_A

Brett_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted December 08 2002 - 03:19 PM

The seperation aspect between Carm and Tony is very intriguing for how it will play out next season but I don't think we were left with enough tension amongst the other players. With the extended episode there should have been more IMO. Although well acted there was too much back and forth between Tony and Carm. Oh well another year wait. Posted Image

[quote] Amp my foot! That was a receiver! What speakers were those? And blaring Dean Martin?? Not exactly the most annoying music they could have chosen. [quote]

I think they were Maggies but there was a good shot of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users