What's new

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sounds good, I'm game. Here's some basic facts:
Director: Alfonso Cuarón
Best known for his explicit sexual drama 'Y tu mamá también,' he has never the less proven himself skilled at adaptations (his modernized take on Charles Dicken's Great Expectations was released to critical acclaim in 1998); as well as children's movies with his beloved remake of Shirley Temple vehicle A Little Princess (which was in and of itself a book adaptation). Expect great things from this one.
Daniel Radcliffe returns as Harry Potter
Rumors persist that he will be on able to complete the series as his physical maturation quietly outpaces his character's. Regardless, he will make atleast Azkaban. In fact, production was delayed to allow him a semester to adjust to a new school. His performance in Chamber of Secrets was better than that in Philosopher's Stone, so we can hope for a similiar quantam leap this time, as his character tackles what are some of the deepest emotional pathos of the series so far.
Emma Watson returns as Harry's quite studious Muggle-born witch friend Hermione Granger.
Having accomplished a very tough scene in the second film after she is the victim of racial bigotry, one could argue that she is the most talented actor/ress of the trio. She'll half to be, as she steps up to a much more integral part this time around, not petrified for half of this movie, she plays an integral part the rather somber ending. This will be the first serious delving into her character, so lets hope Miss Watson's up to the challenge.
Rupert Grint returns as Harry's best friend, red-haired Ron Weasley.
Though his role in this film will be probably less significant this time around (him being out of comission for the ending and all), he must still deal with the loss of his pet. We know that Grint can pull off comedy well. How will he hand the meatier stuff?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Okay, but I'm not going to make this thread offical for about two years.
Unless it's delayed, the movie should be out in Summer 2004, so it'll be a bit shorter than that. :)
Supposedly Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) may not be returning for the third film. Possibly due to money issues, though I think he's also the oldest of the child actors and may no longer look young enough for the part.
They also have to recast Albus Dumbledore.

Eric Lipp

Agent
Well, no official announcement has been made that I know of, but I heard that Ian McKellen (Gandalf from Lord of the Rings) is on the top of the list to be Dumbledore in the third Harry Potter.
A good pick, in my opinion.

~Eric

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from reports here in the UK, it seems that Richard Attenborough may come out of retirement to play Dumbledore
:emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin Korom

Stunt Coordinator
The rumours about Tom Felton not being in PoA are not true- just another internet rumour.
Richard Attenborough is lobbying heavily for the role of Dumbledore; IMO he'd be a good choice. Ian McKellen would be an even better choice, but I somehow doubt he'll do it. I find it hard to believe he'd want to play a wizard in two different series. He may be the only actor who could pull off the two roles simultaneously, though.
It's a shame they are taking so long to get the 3rd film made, but I guess the children's long-term well-being is more important. At the rate the books are (not) coming out, the films of the last couple books may well star Radcliffe's/Watson's/Grint's children:D

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I'm quite curious regarding who'll they cast for the roles of Lupin and Black. My wife and I think Ewan MacGregor for Lupin (she thinks he'll look too young in comparison to Rickman's Snape, but I think he's actually close to the right age from the book), and maybe Colin Firth for Black. Firth has the gravity to play the character.

Oh, and also: Alan Cumming for Peter Pettigrew!

Any other choices?

Joe

Kevin Korom

Stunt Coordinator
I also think Ewan McGregor would make an excellent Lupin! I've always pictured a younger Jonathan Pryce as Sirius Black- too bad he's probably too old to play the part now...although, with the heavy toll Azkaban has taken on him, perhaps his aged appearance might be appropriate after all. Besides Pryce, I haven't really thought of anyone who's seemed right to me.

As for Pettigrew, while he doesn't exactly fit the physical description in the book, my 1st choice would be Tim Curry.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I still say Tim Roth or Sean Bean for Sirius Black would be really cool.

I think we'll see both an Azkaban and Goblet Of Fire with the same main cast before any real changes are made.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I myself wouldn't mind Jeremy Northam for Lupin.:)
Attenborough may be a tad short for Dumbledore (anyone know how tall Radcliffe and Harris are/were?). But if he wants it that bad, he'll do.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Would there be a possibility that both Prisoner of Azkaban & Goblet of Fire would be filmed simultaneously as they did with Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Matrix sequels, so that the three kids would not look that different.

My 2 cents

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Would there be a possibility that both Prisoner of Azkaban & Goblet of Fire would be filmed simultaneously as they did with Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Matrix sequels, so that the three kids would not look that different.
I doubt it.. the rest Azkaban's production was delayed was because Radcliffe's parents wanted him to have a normal school life for a while. I doubt they'd sign off on such a long shoot. Plus, it'd make pickups impossible, since the kids would grow so much from one end of the shoot to the other. It'd be cool, though.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
My vote for Sirius Black would be Viggo Mortensen. If I remember from the books correctly, Black had sunken eyes, and was really, really skinny. I think Viggo could pull that off.
I'm not sure of Lupin's characteristics though. I couldn't get a mental image of him when I was reading the book. I'd like Ewan McGregor to be this guy.
All I know is that the dementors need to be cool.
BTW, I'm a little confused, but is Harry's mom a muggle or not? In the films, it seems like she's not, but in the books it's explicitly stated she is.
Hell while we're at it, we all ought to figure out the actors for the fourth one. Who'd play Mad-Eye Moody? :D
I say Humphrey Bogart for Peter Pettigrew. ;) :D

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
BTW, I'm a little confused, but is Harry's mom a muggle or not? In the films, it seems like she's not, but in the books it's explicitly stated she is.
She is a witch, but from a muggle family.

Regarding Dumbledore, I heard, there was another actor already stepping in, while Harris was ill. He seems to look very similar, so why not take him?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
She is a witch, but from a muggle family.
Correct; Lily Potter was Muggle-born.

As for the cast growing too fast, I dunno. I really hope they are able to make all of them with the same principle cast. Even they get to being 2 years apart, I think the kids could still pass for the correct age. They looked significantly older in COS, but a lot of changes go on in the 11-12 range. By the 7th film, if they're all 20-21, I think they could still pass for 18 or so. Christian Coulson, who played 16-year-old Tom Riddle in COS, was 23 when he got the role. It could work. But, it's up to them; it should be their decision, and from what I've heard the three leads are all interested in continuing.

I haven't gotten to the fourth book yet, but I loved Prisoner of Azkaban, and it should make a great movie. Personally, I think Anthony Higgins (Rathe from Young Sherlock Holmes) might make a good Professor Lupin. At any rate, I'm sure they are close to acquiring the new cast members, as they're supposed to start shooting in March. I guess we'll see. Should be cool.

Kristoffer

Second Unit
I think Gabriel Byrne, would be a great Professor Lupin.:emoji_thumbsup:
How do you think the movie will be different in style to columbus previous films? now that there is a new director?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
In the first film, while the Dursley family is hiding at the island cabin and Hagrid barges in, Petunia Dursley speaks in less than flattering terms about her "freak" of a sister who was the only one in the family to display magical talent. So it was established in the film that Lily Potter was indeed from a family of muggles.

I thought Tom Riddle looked a lot older than 16. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks