Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official "EQUILIBRIUM" Review Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,991 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted December 06 2002 - 08:44 AM

Woooweee! Lucky old me is the first review on HTF.

This weekend, I am happy to live in a major market.

Equilibirum is not my favorite film of the year. The concepts are fairly absurd, and some of the set-up is eye-rolling. But the lead actor stays with you. You buy into it enough that it works if you let it. And that part is key.

It's not a Matrix clone though one key action scene is very reminiscent. I actually like the action in this film just as much, if not more than that groundbreaking film.

Is it style over substance? I believe it's not. They put enough time into the story to make it matter, and they pepper the action scenes throughout.

The acting is top-notch, with Taye Diggs being the weakpoint (although not awful). Emily Watson is underused but very solid. Sean Bean has very little screen-time, but makes it work and plants the necessary seed. Nice to see Angus McFayden...it's been a while since Robert The Bruce (for me).

But the lead gets notice. Christian Bale is a case of exceptional casting. As a straight man, damn he's good-looking. Drawing on Bateman JUST a little for the beginning, he believeably morphs into a human being. And he looks like the necessary bad-ass.

The film is low-budget, and it shows, but not overly so. In some ways, it serves the spartan nature of the film. Direction is very solid. The score sometimes overdoes it, which is a shame. A more subdued score could have driven the main character better (I'll explain that later).

But why did I go? The same reason I recommend it. The action scenes are as they were advertised to me in a review a few months ago. New and visually brilliant. The first scene is a tease...it takes place in the dark. The next one takes place at night, but you see it all. And it took my jaded breath away. That scene will be watched when the (sadly bare bones, no doubt) DVD comes rolling home after Dimension fumbles this film as well (I never even got to Below...I was busy that weekend). Back to the action, fluid and graceful and somewhat over-the-top. Enjoy it.

This is not a Matrix rip-off anymore than that film was inspired by many others.

Edited: 9/10.

Recommended to action movie lovers. Highly recommended for them.

Take care,
Chuck
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#2 of 7 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,878 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 06 2002 - 09:07 AM

This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Equilibrium". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Luis S

Luis S

Supporting Actor

• 638 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 02:21 PM

I can only say....HOLY SHIT THAT MOVIE ROCKED!!!Posted Image The action was top notch,you've never seen fights like this! Posted Image Christian Bale is one badass dude! I will definately see it again Posted Image Unfortunately like Chuck said it'll probably get ripped off when it hits dvd Posted Image But definately worth checking out if your a fan of the Matrix or Gattaca. I give it a solid Posted Image Posted Image Well written,great action, and Bale simply rules.

Luis S
Neo: "Its been an honor sir."

Morpheus: " No,the honor is still mine."

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,507 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 06 2002 - 05:10 PM

Equilibrium is a very cool movie. Dimension once again makes a good movie and dumps it.

Go to a theater NOW or you will miss it. Though, I suppose the DVD will be available in a month...

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,849 posts

Posted December 07 2002 - 12:07 PM

I saw it, and it's not bad. The characterizations aren't that deep, but if you are okay with 2-dimensional archetypes, the action at the end will reward your patience (if you like action/fight scenes).

I'd give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Paul Case

Paul Case

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted May 13 2003 - 04:14 PM

Oh.My.God.

I just watched this movie for the first time tonight. It completely blew me away. I had expected it to be a fairly cheesy Matrix rip-off. Boy, were my expectations off!! This movie is well written, well directed, and well acted. It is a top notch sci-fi film that makes the most of its low budget. The action scenes are stunning, but it is Christian Bale that really sells this film. My God, why is this man not a huge star yet? He was the only redeeming thing about Reign of Fire, and he absolutely takes this film to another level. Forget Keanu Reeves. Bale should be at the center of the Next Big Thing, whatever that may be.

Needless to say, I can't recommend this movie to sci-fi/action fans highly enough. It is basically a modern re-telling of Farenheit 451, and it blew me away. I rented it today, I'll be buying it tomorrow. I really can't say much more than that. Posted Image

PS: Anybody who tells you that this movie rips off The Matrix doesn't have the slightest clue about what he/she is talking about.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Joseph Hansen

Joseph Hansen

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted May 19 2003 - 04:16 PM

Paul,

I really enjoyed your review of Equilibrium, even though I disagreed with just about everything you said.

My wife and I just saw it, and she would agree with you. I think I got stuck on two issues. The first is that I couldn't get past the premise that society chose to drug themselves in order to dull their emotions. After all, half of us wouldn't be here if it weren't for lust, love, etc. (the other half probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for alcohol).

The second problem is that, yes, I found the action sequences to be a straight rip-off of The Matrix. I can't say the whole movie was a Matrix rip-off, because it wasn't, but the fight sequences, and Bale's attitude during these scenes, were straight from The Matrix. This worries me about The Matrix Reloaded; will this be a Matrix rip-off as well, and offer nothing new?

I also found Bale's acting to only be so-so, although I did enjoy him in Reign of Fire (enough that I bought that movie). Interesting that Luis compared it to Gattaca; I would have never put them in the same category.

Thanks again for your input, Paul.

Joseph
Bugs, Mr. Rico! Zillions of 'em! I'm a-burnin' 'em down!