What's new

'Starfox Adventures' - Oh boy did Nintendo/Rare drop the ball on this one! (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
What a boring game! I am truly astonished at how weak this gaming experience is.

-The combat system is repetitive, unchallenging, and IMO doesn't make for decent looking fights.
-There are too few Arwing missions, and they're absurdly easy.
-The voice acting is truly atrocious. And what's up with the various Scottish etc. accents for random characters?
-The fur/grass rendering, supposedly revolutionary, just makes the characters look more fake than they would with matte surfaces.
-There are (so far) zero challenging puzzles. They're all take this object to point A, and then pick up object B. Also, I'm finding it extraordinarily annoying that Fox gasps in wonder every time he finds a 'new' object like a nut, or a scarab bag!
-The interface is frustrating and poorly conceived.
-Just a badly designed game IMO. I've played for 3 hours so far and I don't plan on playing any further!
-If anyone with a PAL machine wants a copy, there's one up for grabs right here.
-I purchased the game on the strength of the reviews, and how much I loved the previous 2 Starfox games. The flying missions in SA are the best parts, and they're a million miles from capturing the magic of the N64 game.

Very disappointed with this game. What a bitter way for Rare to go out with Nintendo!

Am I alone?

Hmmmm, strange. I just looked up reveiws from three different sites and they seemed fairly positive.

8 out of 10
9 out of 10
4 out of 5

I guess I'll skip just to be safe as there are plenty of other games that I'd like to get ahold of....

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Those reviews are based more on reputation than merit. With Nintendo and Rare's name attached to the game, the fanboys that write for these sites can't resist. Take it from us, this game is straight poop.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
While I don't want to come across as contentious, this game is far from awful.

No, it's not up to Rare's usual standards, but it's hardly a blight on the world of gaming.

Yeah, it needed some extra TLC and yeah, it can get repetitive, but it's not the train wreck that some seem to be making it out to be. And, at the very least, it is a fantastic-looking game in 480p and 16:9.

I'd give it a C+, and not the D- or F many seem to be insisting that it warrants.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I think I posted this in another SFA thread before, but I'll do it again because it is damn funny.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The game was also originally an N64 game called Dinosaur Planet. Nintendo asked Rare to bring it to the GameCube to get some easy sales of the newer console and expand it's library by putting StarFox in the lead role.

BTW, a NEW StarFox game (in the same vein as the SNES and N64 SF games) is coming next year from Nintendo and Namco.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
"Rare's usual standards"?
Since Goldeneye, they haven't released a good game IMO. So it doesn't surprise me that people aren't liking SFA all that much.
Good job Nintendo in letting them go! :)

Kip

Stunt Coordinator
I would say their track record has been mixed since Goldenye. I thought that Perfect Dark, Conker, and Banjo Kazooie were great games. As for some of the others, well, not so great.

Kip

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I'm with Eric on this one.

I don't think it's nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I'd go so far as to give it a B- rating.

It's a tad repetitive, and kind of all over the place in terms of finding stuff, and the combat, but I'm enjoying the visuals and the story so far. The space combat scenes are a far cry from Starfox 64, but the game is an adventure game first and foremost, and not an action game.

They really didn't need the StarFox license for it, as it feels like it was tacked on at the last minute, which is in fact probably what they did.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's nearly as bad as people make it out to be.
What I find interesting is the amount of people who raved about it when it was launched on here & on other forums, and how now opinion seems to have swayed against it.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I will also say I thought Starfox was a good game.
I rather enjoyed Starfox Adventures and didn't have too much of a problem getting into the game. I do agree that it can be a bit repititious and the first few hours are hard to muddle through. My main contention was with the awful flying sequences that pull you completely out of your main objective and IMO disrupt the flow of the game. Besides that I don't regret my time with Starfox and I'll probably give it another spin in the future when the desire hits me.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks