Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Coming, to a theater near you.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
117 replies to this topic

#1 of 118 SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 04:18 PM

All,

Another HTF exclusive.

We've gotten lots of requests for these pics (smuggled from the SVS cabinet shop), so go ahead and look upon what is arguably one of the most potent home theater and music subwoofers on the planet.

The SVS B4-Plus. Quad, opposed 12" Plus drivers, quad 4" ports. Tom had to get a 5 Kilowatt amp to get it to break a sweat.

And a lucky HTF member will be posting soon the results of his test (I expect he'll speak up when he's ready ;^).

Take a walk around:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Apologies for the rough photos. The shipping sub will have a fabric grill over the opposed driver back vent. Like the SS, it'll be finished as you desire.

This is a passive sub which will be geared to amps from 1,500 to 5,000 watts. Tom will no doubt be happy to explain the ground breaking testing results he got. It's big (this is an SVS, you are surprised??) and in this case, hardly inexpensive (though prices will be announced shortly in the SVS News section, we're still working the numbers). It's the anvil of the SVS lineup.

If you want a cabinet-style enclosure, and expect hand finished furniture grade construction from the USA, this might be on your very short list. Some other, somewhat less outrageous box subs will be arriving soon at SVS. Stay tuned for that.

For now I hope this sparked some tough questions for Tom. He has poured the last several months into this box, and the others to follow. Pre-orders for those of you with at least $2K or so (not counting amp) burning a hole in your pocket ... hang in there a few days longer. Maybe Santa will be REALLY good to you this year??

Ron

#2 of 118 Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele

Producer

• 3,184 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 04:38 PM

Just....D-A-A-A-A-A-A-Y-U-M

Need we say more? Posted Image
Brett DiMichele
brettd@nospamyukonwaltz.com (remove nospam)

Too Much to list!
My PhotoBucket              My Buttkicker Wireless Advance Kit Review

#3 of 118 Guest_Anthony_Gomez_*

Guest_Anthony_Gomez_*

Posted December 05 2002 - 05:09 PM

man..I am not sure what to think Posted Image

the driver loading is almost like a ...I don't know what. ...a ported dipole?!!!

and with such a large port area...I would think that the ports are enourmous inside. Just doing a rough calculation...If we assume it is 155L enclosure (that is a 24" cube with 1.5" walls and NO volume removed for porting or driver displacement) and it is tunned to 20hz with 4 4" ports, then each port needs to be 60"!!! heck, even at 200L net, then you are still looking at about 45"

I have been building subs for a while and I am not sure what to make of it :b

a little technical explainations please?

(it does look really cool, but I am not sure what to make of it Posted Image)

#4 of 118 Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 05:45 PM

my goodness. that is all i have to say

#5 of 118 Frank Carter

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 05:49 PM

I wonder why SVS didn't go with their highest end driver(TV-12) in their highest end sub? Not like 4 12" plus driver's isn't enoughPosted Image, just wondering?

Now that I'm thinking, it's probably cost. I expected it to be cost a more than what Ron's talking about, but then again it's SVS.

#6 of 118 Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

• 708 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 07:32 PM

Neeeeeed.....resssuulllttsss! Posted Image

Wow!!!!!
"A human being is part of the whole called by us the Universe. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest --a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection...

#7 of 118 Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter

• 1,869 posts

Posted December 05 2002 - 07:35 PM

I think the box's internal volume (not including ports) has got to be over 200L. It appears to be a rectangle to accomodate longer than 24" ports and it looks like the sides are about 24"x24" like anthony said.

So to tune it below 30hz, the 4 flared ports would just need to be about 16" tip to tip. This has me guess the box is tuned to mid-high 20s and not below 20hz. Maybe it's tuned to 24hz?

About the quad opposed drivers. Do all 4 drivers work together and push out at the same time? If so then isn't it simply a dipole sub?

At least SVS is thinking outside the cylinder and into the box. Now they just gotta start thinking outside the 12" driver. Posted Image

#8 of 118 BrianKR

BrianKR

Second Unit

• 498 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 12:59 AM

Quote:
I wonder why SVS didn't go with their highest end driver(TV-12) in their highest end sub? Not like 4 12" plus driver's isn't enough, just wondering?

TV-12 drivers weigh and cost considerably more. This would raise the price significantly in every way.

I'm interesting in knowing how the remaining 2 drivers are positioned inside the subs enclosure.

Exposed drivers make me nervous.

#9 of 118 Bill_D

Bill_D

Supporting Actor

• 755 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 01:06 AM

Good thing they have those holes ...... so you can change the the uranium.

#10 of 118 Phil_DC

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 01:14 AM

Posted Image Great Googly Moogly!
Never seen anything like it, and at 5000 watts I bet I never heard anything like it either!Posted Image

#11 of 118 Seth_L

Seth_L

Screenwriter

• 1,553 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 01:42 AM

Seems a bit underported to me. With 200L and 4 4" 50cm long ports you only get a 29Hz tuning point. You also get air velocities over 50m/sec with 5kW.

Seth

#12 of 118 Seth_L

Seth_L

Screenwriter

• 1,553 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 01:50 AM

Are those Stryke AV12 drivers? From what I can tell from the pictures they look just like 'em.

I also don't think the sub is a dipole either. I think it's just a creative way to get 4 cones into the box while allowing for the 4 4" ports.

Seth

#13 of 118 Dan Hine

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

• 1,314 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 01:57 AM

Quote:
Are those Stryke AV12 drivers? From what I can tell from the pictures they look just like 'em.

I believe that both Stryke and SVS have TC Sounds build their drivers. That would explain the similarity in looks. As for similar T/S specs, well...good luck getting those out of Tom. Posted Image
I strive to be the man my dog thinks I am.

#14 of 118 Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge

Producer

• 3,719 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 02:40 AM

Ha! I was right! It is ported! I guess it could be considered a dual, isobaric enclosure. And Chris is right. If the drivers are in phase then it isn't a dipole sub.
Brian Bunge
RAD Home Theater

#15 of 118 Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 02:55 AM

WOW!

How will this subwoofer compare to Dual SVS CS-Ultras??

#16 of 118 Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 02:57 AM

I imagin we could stab at the design forever.

But why, it's an SVS and certainly should perform well as what we come to expect ~{and more}~ with this big baby. Also no one has mentioned, gotten to excieted over the big daddy, but Ron also said ~{OTHER box models will be coming}~! More than likely smaller and less powerfull, but still others box subs are coming.

Not everyone has 2k+ hanging around.

Information about just what this monster is (the true alinement, tuning, feq resp, etc) will certainly trickly out in the next few weeks.

I sure many will have fun trying to figure just whats what, as they say. A big monster of a sub for sure, if looks account for anything.
Impressive and intimidating come to mind from the pic's.!

Di-pole, doubt it...
Maybe 2-Compound Isos, (drivers back to back) with seperate enclosers inside, both driving into the remaining ported space. Aha, could that work, he scratches his head..Posted Image
Drivers in series then paralleled to end with a 4-ohm load. (assuming single 4-ohm coil per driver)
But still how do you get all that port area inside, hmmmm, I give...Posted Image

A designing complicado im sure, what ever it is.

Just glad, as I am sure very many are, to know/see that SVS will be offering box style subs in the very near future...

Good luck SVS, doubt you'll need it, as I'm quite sure Tom's latest creatures will perform extremly well....!

Regards
Geoff
~{ Speak of what you know, listen to what you don't.! }~  

#17 of 118 Frank Carter

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 03:00 AM

How will this subwoofer compare to Dual SVS CS-Ultras??

In an email I got from Tom V a couple months ago he said output-wise it would be around 4 CS Ultra'sPosted Image.

#18 of 118 SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 03:24 AM

Seth,

Underported? You should know better than that ;^) I doubt there is a sub on Earth that has undergone more testing to ensure such was not the case.

Geoff,

Yes, this'll be the top of the range in performance for some time, additional boxes will be smaller/more affordable versions in a range of finishes and sizes. We're striving for simple, innovative, and class-leading price/performance ratios. We also hope to have info and pics of the entry level box line in a few days. It'll be in the PCi range of prices, and subsequent subs will fill in between the most and least expensive. Most will be self-powered of course. Like you said, only a few have $2K or more to spend on subwoofers.

There was no way to get a suitable plate amp crammed into the B4-Plus. When it was clear even a bridged K2 wouldn't stress it, we comitted to keeping the power "ala carte" for this one. Tom will be along later with more comments on the technical parameters (those we can release), including size/weight etc. As you already guessed, it's big, but still in the zone of other big box subs on the market. What it does with 1,500 watts or more is out of proportion with its cost though.

Chris, we've yet to find a combination of 15" or other woofer sizes that works better than multiple high output 12" drivers. Rest assured 15" drivers were looked at when this model was developed. That's not to say a 15" won't come from SVS some day. It just has to prove superior to the flexibility and performance of a 12". And be shippable as a OEM product that most enthusiasts can aspire to.

As for the TV-12 being left out on this round, the answer as to why was already guessed. Weight, cost and performance all drove the Plus as the choice here. You can rest assured that when the right amp/woofer/cabinet combo is finalized a TV-12 box sub will be there. For now it's exclusively powering our top cylinder subs.

Haris,

As already mentioned, with enough power, the B4-Plus would walk all over a pair of CS-Ultra subs. Of course it'll cost more than a dual CS-Ultra package when you add an amp too. Just a rough order of magnitude is around $3.5K with Crown K1 as an entry level power source. We'll most likely have packages done in the next few days that include Rane PE17's for equalization, Crown K2's for even more power, and Better Cable wire sets for the interconnects and wire runs to the sub.

Hope this helps answer some questions.

Ron

#19 of 118 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,516 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted December 06 2002 - 03:25 AM

>homer voice< mmmmmmm....SVS >drool< Posted Image
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#20 of 118 Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted December 06 2002 - 03:28 AM

Appears to have a pedistal under it, wonder if this is useable air space..? Tom most like would make use of all the available air space volume he could, I would think...

Also the port side of the box is much longer than the non ported sides. At least it looks that way in the pic's. Longer than 24" I would venture to say. Definitly could be wrong but shooting in the half dark room here.

Geoff
~{ Speak of what you know, listen to what you don't.! }~  

Forum Nav Content I Follow