What's new

*** Official "EQUILIBRIUM" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
This looks like it's gonna be another one of those good movies that gets released, but nobody even knows about. I haven't seen a single peep about it anywhere but the web. Check out the trailer and a good review.
While it does look quite Matrixy, it doesn't seem to be copying the style simply to rake in the cash. It is actually supposed to have a strong sci-fi story. (While also having great action scenes.) The trailer shows that it's beautifully filmed. From what I see and hear, it looks like it could be a great film.
It's opening in one theater in Seattle, so I'm guessing that it's playing in a few hundred theaters maximum. It'll "bomb" this weekend and be pulled soon after.
I really don't get Dimension films, they don't seem to give a crap about the films that they release. The quite good "Below" got absolutely no advertising, "They" opened without me seeing a single thing about it, now "Equilibrium" is getting the same treatment. Is Dimension (Miramax) purposely trying to bury these films?

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I sure hope Toronto gets this film. I was really looking forward to the is one but I mean who knows now since
we never got Below in theaters here as we were sopposed to.
I even saw Posters and banners for below but strangely never got it. I mean we got plenty of bad films before so why not give it to us. I want to see this.

-Mike

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
Anything about a future Totalitarian society, count me in!

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
it looks like it could be a great film.
It's been getting mainly negative reviews so far and looks a little unoriginal. Rotten Tomatoes currently has it at only 22%, but I might try to see it this weekend if I get a chance.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Judging from the response, Dimension is doing a horrible job promoting this. Even the film buffs aren't interested.
It's been getting mainly negative reviews
I hardly ever listen to the critics, especially when it comes to genre pictures. Most of them seem to hate anything to do with sci-fi. (Even 2001 and Blade Runner were trashed when they were released.) So I go by my own opinions.
One critic that I do pay attention too, and I can't remember ever disagreeing with, really liked it.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm off to see it with friends tomorrow, and the trailer's created a good buzz after being spread around here at work.

Dimension REALLY need to get their marketing into gear - it's had /zero/ marketing here in Dallas that I've seen/heard of and comes out today.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Elvis Mitchell's review in the New York Times was one of the most vicious I've ever seen from him. Here's a quote you won't be seeing on the poster:
If someone left "1984," "Fahrenheit 451," "Brave New World," "Gattaca" and the Sylvester Stallone potboilers "Judge Dredd" and "Demolition Man" out in the sun and threw the runny glop onto a movie screen, it would still be a better picture than "Equilibrium," a movie that could be stupider only if it were longer.

Dan D.

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,
Unbelievable! 32 screens between Boston Common and Fenway, and it gets stuck in Copley. Hmmm, do I need to do any Christmas shopping out in Framingham this weekend?

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I may now skip this. I don't feel like traveling to theaters that I know will make me sit in the 5th row from the front because of my wheelchair.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Done and done. I'll put a review in a proper review thread. Is it perfect? No. Is it well done? Yes.

And the question that matters...

Do the action scenes kick ass?

Yes they do.

Take care,
Chuck

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Equilibrium". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.
All HTF member film reviews of "Equilibrium" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Crawdaddy

Ruth_F

Stunt Coordinator
Wow I saw this in october and forgot it as soon as it was gratefully over. i just realized the dallas morning news gave it a B- --- maybe it it's a guy thing because i would say more like a c-

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Dimension certainly dumped this one. (Word I'd had was it wasn't opening here, and then a day later, two or three days before it opens, word comes that yes it will play in town.)

I liked it. Does it have a lot in common with other futuristic films? Yes. Can you spot the influences? Sure. But this worked a lot better for me than the usual sci-fi sludge. It's far, far better than Impostor. Not a great film but a decent one that I'd merit being good enough. FWIW, Roger Ebert gave it a three star review.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Jason,
Unbelievable! 32 screens between Boston Common and Fenway, and it gets stuck in Copley.
Apparently Fenway and Boston Common are juuuuuust far enough away from each other that they can get the same movies, which ticks me off - mostly because I go to matinees and AMC's $7 matinee is just absurd.

At least it's showing up around here, though. Below played on half-a-screen at Framingham for a week despite being advertised for Boston Common.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Hey,my two cents? The movie did what it set out to and did it well. That movie kicked all sorts of ass! To bad not enogh people will see it,it realy deserves some attention.If nothing else at least for the fights,they were unbelievably cool!!! A must have when it hits dvd! :D
Luis S

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I read a bunch of the negative reviews when I got back from this one. Frankly, I just don't get them.

Yeah, the film is mostly unoriginal. Whoopee! So are a lot of good films. The individual standing up to an oppressive society is a time honored sci-fi standard. It worked in "Logan's Run", "The Matrix", "Farenheit 451", "Gattaca", a million Trek episodes and more.

And, it works here. Bale is perfect as Preston, the few nice twists/reversals at the end were fun and well timed, the action scenes were great - particularly for low budget (I really like that they attempted to explain "gun kata"...it added something to it), and the old theme was well communicated.

Taye was awfully over-the-top emotional for an unemotional Cleric...but, oh well.

It IS far better than "Imposter" or several other PK Dick ripoffs.

Did I mention I liked Bale? Because his journey and struggle MAKE this film.

I hope it has a good life on DVD, 'cuz if you don't catch it this week - it's gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks