What's new

FM reception Q (1 Viewer)

Tony Woods

Grip
Anyone have some good tips on how to get good FM reception from a receiver? Maybe a link or two to some good antaneas?
Thanks a lot

Darrel McBane

Second Unit

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Tony,
The entire FM band is located between a couple of VHF tv channels as far as frequency. The ota reception characteristics for FM are the same as for VHF tv (channels 2 thru 13.)
So look for a good VHF TV antenna, and you're covered. I get good results from an RCA branded powered VHF/UHF indoor tv antenna that I bought at Walmart for around $30.
For really good reception of weak or distant stations, your best bet would be a good outdoor VHF antenna with a rotator.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

EdM

Auditioning
Using a outdoor UHF/VHF, is one lead brought indoors and then a splitter used to send the signal to the display device and to the reciever for FM?
I hope my question is understandable.
Thanks, Ed

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Ed,
Yes, you would use a splitter to send the signal to your FM receiver and to your TV, just as you would split an antenna or cable signal for 2 different TVs. FM, like tv, is pretty directional and line-of-sight, so some aiming of your antenna may be necessary.
My dad built his own Hi Fi system back in the mid 50's when FM was relatively rare, and used this method to get a signal for his FM tuner from our regular rooftop TV antenna. The nearest FM transmitters were 50 miles away and on the other side of the California Coastal mountain range, but reception was decent on a few stations.
These days FM transmitters are more plentiful and more powerful, and tuners are much improved.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>The entire FM band is located between a couple of VHF tv channels as far as frequency. The ota reception characteristics for FM are the same as for VHF tv (channels 2 thru 13.)<
Steve,
a good FM antenna is tuned for the broadcast band between channels 6&7 and will usually give better reception than broader band TV antennas.
Marty

Users who are viewing this thread