What's new

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Title: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Tagline: A New Power Is Rising.

Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Action

Director: Peter Jackson

Cast: Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen, Andy Serkis, Sean Astin, Cate Blanchett, John Rhys-Davies, Bernard Hill, Christopher Lee, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, Orlando Bloom, Hugo Weaving, Miranda Otto, David Wenham, Brad Dourif, Karl Urban, John Noble, Sean Bean, Craig Parker, Bruce Allpress, John Bach, Sala Baker, Jed Brophy, Sam Comery, Calum Gittins, Phil Grieve, Bruce Hopkins, Paris Howe Strewe, Nathaniel Lees, John Leigh, Robbie Magasiva, Robyn Malcolm, Bruce Phillips, Robert Pollock, Olivia Tennet, Raymond Trickitt, Stephen Ure, Timothy Lee, Phillip Spencer Harris, Victoria Beynon-Cole, Lee Hartley, Billy Jackson, Katie Jackson, Frazer Anderson, Ben Barrington, Jarl Benzon, Jørn Benzon, Owen Black, Dorothy Anne Bonner, Ben Britton, Riley Brophy, Alistair Browning, Alix Bushnell, Sean Button, Ryan Carey, Rodney Cook, Augie Davis, Mana Hira Davis, Shane Dawson, Karlos Drinkwater, Aron Eastwood, Frank Edwards, Clint Elvy, Alexia Fairbrother, Daniel Falconer, Siaosi Fonua, Kester Fordham, Michael Fowler, Ben Fransham, Frank Goldingham, Winham Hammond, Jonathan Harding, Lucas Hayward, Dan Hennah, Jason Hood, Lani Jackson, Peter Jackson, Gareth Jensen, Sam Kelly, Richard Knowles, Sandro Kopp, Sam La Hood, Don Langridge, Michael Lawrence, Alan Lee, Jono Manks, Brent McIntyre, Dra McKay, Joseph Mika-Hunt, Dean Morganty, Henry Mortensen, Francis Mountjoy, Paul Norell, Barrie M. Osborne, Allan Poppleton, Gareth Reeves, Miranda Rivers, Campbell Rousselle, Matthew Saville, Samuel E. Shore, Allan Smith, Greg Tozer, Piripi Waretini, Tim Wong, John Wraight, Kelley Kerr Young, Robert Young

Release: 2002-12-18

Runtime: 179

Plot: Frodo and Sam are trekking to Mordor to destroy the One Ring of Power while Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn search for the orc-captured Merry and Pippin. All along, nefarious wizard Saruman awaits the Fellowship members at the Orthanc Tower in Isengard.

Well, I'm now all abuzz. I'm actually trying to ratchet down the anticipation, as to not delude myself into disappointment.

But by the sounds of it, this is a winner. Thanks for the review.

I managed to find The Two Towers to be a grand epic, wide in scope, and intimately poetic.
This pretty much covers the whole gamut. By the way, what was the atmosphere of the theater, before and after the screening? Was it as charged as the first screening of LOTR:FOTR?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Hard for any movie to match the sense of wonder and exitement of the first installment, but if its " as good as the FOTR" then I'm pumped! Can't wait. Would go for the midnight showing on the 17th but 3 hours is a long time for a midnight movie!

Good review Ron.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Nice to see the 5 star rating. It would seem people are having mixed reactions to Treebeard, some people love it while others think his CG is so-so.
Ron mentioned how one of the let downs were long conversations surrounded by epic battle sets. I was actually hoping for the dialogue to take a front seat as well. So I won't be let down.
Jeremy, the link is HERE
Just one question Ron, how was the CG with the Wargs?

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Sounds fantastic to me. The only thing keeping me from a midnight showing is a biochem final the next day. Argh. Oh, and nice review Ron (anymore I'd be surprised to find a bad review Ron, for consistency you're about as good as they come).

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Interesting comments about Treebeard, since someone in the TTT thread said a couple weeks ago that Sean Astin had seemed a little disappointed in Treebeard as well.

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
December 17th why do you mock me? :D I shall be there with my free ticket for the midnight showing seeing as how I won't have any class until Friday and then I only have one final left by then. I will be seeing this one multiple times in the theater, probably more times than I saw the first one.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I think his comments where more along the lines of 'it wasn't how I imagined Treebeard' which is something that will always happen.

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
It's very nice to hear that TTT is just as good as the first, i pretty much can assume that the third and final movie will be just as good as well, you gotta hand it to the talents behind such a wonderful trilogy.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Knowing the story - ROTK should end up being the best of the 3 as you get the closure that the other movies can't provide. ROTK should also have many more poignant moments than the other 2 - with the real payoff coming at the Grey Havens.

Ron - hope you have another viewing down the road and will update your thoughts at that time. These movies are so grand in scope that it is difficult to digest everything in one viewing.

I'm willing to bet any issues you had the Ents will be significantly reduced with additional viewings.

Ditto on the question concerning audience reaction - how did they respond?

Are there any great shots ie like the ring in the snow when Boromir picks it up?

Glad you mentioned the soundtrack - from the clips I have heard it is indeed awesome.

Word on the web is that the extended edition of TTT could be ~4 hours in length - WOW!

Finally whose performances stood out for you the most?

Thanks for the review Ron!

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Great Review, Ron.
Short, sweet, and to the point.
This is a great movie. "A 5 rating."
I'm taking a half day on the 18th to see it.
I may get 2 viewings in before my friends join me at night. :D
Matt

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Ron, you lucky.... ;) Thanks for another great review. My wife and I are already scheduling a babysitter so we can go opening weekend!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know what?
That review was just thrown together. I felt as
if I was cheating all of you -- especially when I saw
the amount of material I posted for Fellowship Of
The Ring.
It's just that I rolled in at around midnight. It was
very late and I was very tired.
Audience reaction? The audience was mostly quiet
throughout. There were many chuckles that came from
watching Gimli make a pig out of himself with food or
not being able to stand high enough to see an
approaching army. Many of the gasps I heard from the
crowd came when Legolas mounted his horse. It's a
feat that must be seen to believed! I also heard many
of the women doing a lot of "oohs" and "awwws" during
the scenes with Gollum. The creature can really be
cute at times. As the credits rolled, the audience
clapped loudly. The exit chatter I heard was very
positive.
Great shots? Once again the camera twists and turns
from different angles giving us those really cool
rush-in closeups. It's not done as impressively as
the first film, and there's less of that kind of camera
work here. I think Jackson was smart to keep that
kind of camera work low-key as too much of it gets to
be tiresome. Frodo never puts the ring on his finger,
so we don't see any of the chilling images that were
so memorable in the first film. I think most of the
"wow" factor here comes from the battle for Helms
Deep. It's a long, breathtaking battle that will
be talked about for a long time.
Thanks for asking these questions. I am going to
add these paragraphs to my review. I think they are
things I should have included last night.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
*impatiently taps fingers on desk while looking at calendar*

Great review Ron, I am so anticipating this film. I am actually picking up my tickets on Friday for a showing on the 18th. I cannot wait.

-Dean-

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks for the first look, Ron. I'm so mad I couldn't get to that same screening last night in Manhattan as I was also invited. "Real" life keeps getting in the way of "reel" life... ;)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I can't even bring myself to read the whole thing, just the first and last paragraphs and the score. I'm pretty sure my head would explode out of a combination of jealousy (of Ron), anticipation, anxiety and other stuff like that.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Great review. I'm glad to see it get 5 stars even though Ron seemed to have some problems with pacing WRT scenes between the battles.

As for Treebeard, this has been a concern of mine and one I've been voicing for a while. I think many people have a very clear image of Treebeard and he's probably one of the characters that's most likely to be a letdown, even if it's a minor one. Perhaps it's just the CGI or maybe it's the portrayal, in any case, Treebeard does seem to be the most common focus of uncertainty. Having said that, I'm not overly concerned about the Ents. Overall, I think the role the Ents and Huorns play is going to be one of the highlights of the film.

The fantastic news is that Gollum seems to be very well portrayed, both as a character and a CGI creation. As much as I love Treebeard, Gollum is a far more important character (obviously!) and it's very reassuring to hear all of the praise for him.

Again, great review. This is going to be an awesome movie to be sure!

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks