Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

ANTZ (consolidated thread)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted December 01 2002 - 01:40 AM

I'm trying to decide which one to get. Most reviews say that the DTS is superior audio-wise, but is it that much better to give up the extras on the Signature Collection? Any input would be great, thanks Posted Image

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Arif

Arif

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted December 01 2002 - 07:23 PM

I originally purchased the DD 5.1 version since I could not justify the extra $$$ for the DTS version.

I recently picked up the DTS version (I absolutely love DTS) since it is now priced the same and on sale ($19.99 CAN or less). IMHO, the extras on the "Signature Selection" are simply not worth it! Do yourself a favour and pickup the DTS version, it sounds wonderful.

I just wish I had picked it up the first time around - would have saved me some money! Anyway, the original so-called "Signature Selection" is now occupying a spot in my brother's DVD collection.

Posted Image
Things that are very important to me...

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh

Second Unit

• 392 posts

Posted December 02 2002 - 09:47 AM

Three words: Full bitrate DTS Posted Image

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted December 02 2002 - 10:31 AM

k, thanx guys...guess it's DTS then Posted Image

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,113 posts

Posted December 02 2002 - 10:40 AM

The new version actually now has both DTS and Dolby 5.1 with the same extras on the first release, DTS probably isn't full bitrate though (which makes me wonder what the point is.)
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted December 02 2002 - 10:48 AM

Hmmm, I was not aware of this new version. It most likely is 1/2 bitrate, yes,
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted December 02 2002 - 10:47 PM

[quote] DTS probably isn't full bitrate though (which makes me wonder what the point is.) [quote] That statement pretty much summarizes my view on every DTS release since Saving Private Ryan Posted Image

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Arif

Arif

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted December 03 2002 - 07:39 AM

[quote] The new version actually now has both DTS and Dolby 5.1 with the same extras on the first release, DTS probably isn't full bitrate though (which makes me wonder what the point is.) [quote]
Are you referring to the new DVDs with the "Dreamworks Animation" banner? If that's the case, why is Dreamworks not indicating DTS on the back cover? Of all the new DVDs I've seen (Antz, Chicken Run, Road to El Dorado), they explicitly indicate only Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Surround on the specs even though the latter two also had a DTS track on their original release.

Very odd, considering Dreamworks is known for including DTS on most of their titles. Then again, maybe the inclusion or indication of a DTS track is no longer a priority for them as in the recent release of Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron which does not include DTS.

Posted Image

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted December 03 2002 - 07:53 AM

^ yeah, I remember seeing the new packaging for Antz but didn't see any mention of DTS. I haven't seen Chicken Run though. Do you guys know whether the newly packaged Chicken Run still has the DTS track?

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Arif

Arif

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted December 03 2002 - 08:04 AM

[quote] Do you guys know whether the newly packaged Chicken Run still has the DTS track? [quote]
I picked it up last night and it does indeed have the DTS-ES 6.1 track on it. Although the audio specs on the back cover don't mention it, if you look closely at the fine print at the bottom it indicates something like "Plays in DTS-ES 6.1 channels and is compatible with DTS 5.1". Posted Image

The other newly repackaged titles, Antz and Road to El Dorado do not have this little blurb on their back covers! Posted Image

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,603 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted December 03 2002 - 03:37 PM

antz was released on a seperate dvd with dts. not on the same dvd as the DD with the extra features. 2 seperate releases one with dts and one with DD.
facebook.com/whotony

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 02:30 AM

Ok, I'm totally confused with the new Dreamworks packaging of ANTZ. I want the DTS version, so I went to my local Futureshop. The only version they have is the newly packaged Dolby Digital version with extras. On the packaging, there's NO mention of a DTS track anywhere. So I went home and ordered the DTS version online. I received a DTS version WITH DD PLUS the extras. I'm assuming that the DTS won't be full bitrate, but if that's the case, what's the difference between the two new packagings. They both have the same extras so why two separate versions?

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 02:51 AM

I had this in my hand yesterday as well. I remember reading a post in this area about 2 weeks ago. Try doing a search for it. I also saw a repackaged Road To ElDorado with new artwork. Both the artwork for Antz and RTED are not as good as the original.

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 02:55 AM

http://www.hometheat....light=antz dts

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 02:55 AM

Yeah, but in the previous post, it was assumed that the new version has both DTS and DD. However, there are TWO new versions. One with DD5.1 + extras, one with DTS + DD5.1 + extras. I just don't know what the differences are between the two. and yeah, I prefer the original ANTZ cover...

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Jean Paul Villeneuve

Jean Paul Villeneuve

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 07:16 AM

There are now 3 covers, but only 2 different versions. Antz DD 5.1 (with extras) Release Date: 3-23-1999 Antz DTS 5.1 & DD 2.0 (no extras) Release Date: 7-6-1999 Antz DD 5.1 (with extras & new cover art) Release Date: 2002
Master Trader at HOME THEATER FORUM
Gold Trader at DVD TALK

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 07:32 AM

no, I went to the store today and there are two different versions with the same new cover art:

Posted Image

One of them says on the back grid that it has DD5.1 + Extras

While the other one has DTS + DD5.1 (not 2.0) + Extras

???

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Jean Paul Villeneuve

Jean Paul Villeneuve

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 07:43 AM

I have the first 2 in my collection, only saw the 3rd one at a Canadian Wal-Mart. Sorry, I haven't seen or heard anything about that 4th release with DD 5.1 & DTS 5.1 + extras.

Now I'm confused Posted Image Posted Image
Master Trader at HOME THEATER FORUM
Gold Trader at DVD TALK

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Mark Evans

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor

• 585 posts

Posted December 10 2002 - 08:25 AM

Yikes. That cover's hideous. I like the original better. Understated, but pleasantly so. Good movie though!
Mark Evans

"I'm sure that's it. Maybe I should write a horror novel on passive resistance instead."
- Gabriel Knight

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Joe RZ

Joe RZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted January 02 2003 - 10:22 AM

Does anybody know if the current one that Best Buy is selling for 15 bucks is the full bitrate version?At BestBuy.com they use the same picture for all versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users