What's new

Has any one tried Sony's new prog. scan dvd player? (1 Viewer)

TY D ROCK

Auditioning
Just wondering if anyone has tried this dvd player. Im looking to replace my toshiba sd-5109 player, THANKS

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I assume you're asking about the 700P. I have it and I'm quite happy with it but if you're going to hook it up to a widescreen TV you ought to seriously consider Panasonic RP-91.

Han

Second Unit
Does that player have "audio priority" and how good is it at layer change pauses?

I also am an owner of the 700P and am quite impressed and pleased with it's performance on my 61" Sony HS10 TV. It virtually has no competition at it's price point, and the video performance is as good as the far more expensive Sony 9000ES. The RP91 mentioned above is about $200.00 more but does have some additional functionality if you have a widescreen TV (I don't) or are interesed in being an early adopter of DVD-Audio (I'm not).
------------------
John Holbrook
MY DVD Collection

BrianBHD

Agent
I have the Sony 700P, and it's a mixed bag. I have done a lot on analysis and found that the progressive mode is very soft. I believe it is to mask the chroma bug. I can still see it in very obvious locations when right next to the TV, but not normally. I have the new XBR450 and I have found a better picture when turning the DVD player to interlaced and using Sony's new 3:2 pulldown on the TV. It is much sharper and more color accurate.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Han, I don't know how to check to see if it has "audio priority", I don't think the manual mentions anything about it. If you know of any DVDs where audio priority has any effect, I can try to check it. The layer change is so-so.

DanG

Stunt Coordinator
No the 91 does not have "audio priority" although I have heard that by removing the 6ch cables from the back of it, this would force the player to output any DD5.1 or DTS tracks on the disc.
Until I can verify this, I would discount this as some DVD-A's have DD5.1 tracks in the DVD-V directory not mapped properly in the DVD-A table of contents area. As a result the 91 cannot "see" these tracks.
Panasonic has emailed me that they can play all DVD-A audio and Video tracks on these albums. But I believe they referring to the Video tracks on a DVD-A disc and not the DD5.1 ones.
------------------
°°°Panasonic Hi&Lo Def WebPage°°°

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've had 2 Sony players with the "audio priority" feature. It does not work with the majority of dvds I've played on them. There has to be a flag on the disc for the feature to work, and most discs don't have the flag.
I have inadvertantly gotten halfway through a number of discs before noticing I was listening to pro-logic instead of DD-5.1, even though the feature was turned on.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I've experienced the same thing with the audio priority on my Sony DVP-S3000. I believe it only works with DVDs manufactured by Sony or its subsidiaries, which I believe is Columbia/Tri-Star. I've gotten into the habit of checking the receiver once I start a movie to see if its in the right mode, its kind of annoying.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Brian, can you please explain the chroma bug? I have a 9000ES purchaesd in HK around May of this year.
------------------

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Keith, you're probably right about the audio priority only working on Sony/Columbia Tri-Star discs. Apparently the 700 has the audio priority feature as it selected DD 5.1 track (#2) on the Fifth Element. My Pioneer 414 selects the Pro-Logic track (#1).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I owned two Sony interlaced VD players before moving on to other manufacturers for progressive scanning. Since Sony's "audio priority" only worked on certain studio's discs, I found myself manually selecting/verifying the proper audio track all the time anyway. Therefore, I really do not miss this feature on the Panasonic RP-91. Now, the time remaining display feature from the Sony I definitely miss.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Miles_W

Second Unit
Scott,
I'm pretty sure there is time remaining available on the RP91 just buried on the 1st display menu
------------------
Miles
DarkSide Member since(93)

Brian Shannon

Stunt Coordinator
I am using my 700 on my 36XBR400 and like it alot. For the money I am very pleased
icon14.gif

------------------

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm pretty sure there is time remaining available on the RP91 just buried on the 1st display menu
Miles,
The time remaining feature you are referring to only works for DVD-Audio discs -- it is not selectable for DVD-Video. Since I am only using the player for DVD-Video, the feature is worthless for me.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks