What's new

Subwoofer making popping noises? (1 Viewer)

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
That's a tough one, but I'll take a shot. Mine pops when I turn it off. Is there a chance that the power is getting interrupted somehow, maybe a bad connection somewhere?

Brae

Supporting Actor
Is the subwoofer already on when it does this? Does it seem like its popping on/off? If so, this 'could' be one of two things:

The crossover point does not match/overlap what is set in the pre-pro or integrated receiver, or there may be an auto-on feature that just isn't sensitive enough for a smooth ON/OFF transition.

Of course, it could be about to blow-up ... hehe

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I didn't know we had a forum for speakers! Well, this place is called The Home Theater Forum after all. :b
Thanks for moving it, whoever did it. I just found my own thread in another forum by accident.
Anyways, my subwoofer will already be on for some time, and then all of a sudden, a single popping noise. It happens once every thirty minutes or so.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
My VTF3 did that and it was random little spikes in the house current. It would also do it if I turned the ceiling fan off and on. I got a RGPC 400S(Richard Gray)line conditioner and it never did it again.Richard Gray

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
So it may be the current then? This is kind of odd, but it's happend in two seperate locations. At my apartment in Lexington, KY, and when I moved to Pikeville, KY, it is still doing it.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Same power company? Still, you would do yourself a favor and make sure you have something that not only filters current/voltage spikes, but reduces the amount of noise coming out of the wall outlet. Also, make sure your equipment in not on a leg of your main panel that has motorized or ballast devices also on it. This is a no-no.

BTW, what is your source-processor configuration? Are you optically sending from the audio-source to a preo-pro/AVR?

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
Since it has done it in two different locations, have you checked to make there isn't a problem with the sub's power cord, say if you wiggled it, would the sub pop? If that doesn't solve it, you may want to take a look inside to for some kind of short, maybe a place that looks like it has been arcing. If taking it apart doesn't do it, definitely bring it into a shop. I can't imagine what's causing the popping noise is going to be good for the internal amp over time.

Brae

Supporting Actor
It is not uncommon for 'optical' connections between source and processor to result in popping conditions. Although it is more common to find them across an entire spectrum ... YMMV.
You may get more responses from individuals with like equipment, but that will never happen until you publish what equipment you have. :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
It's an Acousic Research Subwoofer (HC6).

Since it has done it in two different locations, have you checked to make there isn't a problem with the sub's power cord, say if you wiggled it, would the sub pop?
It still happens.

I don't use an optical cable, just an ordinary Monster Cable.

I'm not good at the technical lingo, but all I know is that I have my woofer connected to a Sony DA5ES.

Andrew*W*S

Auditioning
The popping noises you're hearing with the HC6 subwoofer is the subwoofer turning on and off. I have the same set of speakers and noticed this noise last night. I think the auto power setting is a little too agressive in that it switches off after a couple of minutes, where as it should (IMO) be switching off after a minimum of 10-15 minutes.

I don't really know what to do to solve the problem. I've raised the crossover in my receiver from 80 to 100hz (which is where it should probably be anyways). Maybe adjusting the crossover on the back of the sub would help as well.

If what you're listening to has plenty of bass you won't have a problem, but TV could present a serious issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks