What's new

Original "Solaris" on Turner Classic Movies this Friday. (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since, the remake is out in theaters this week with George Clooney, it's good timing that Turner Classic Movies is showing the original "Solaris" on November 29th @ 9:30 p.m. ET.

Crawdaddy

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Great news!
I put Solaris on my Queue for Netflix. Although just released this week (Criterion) Netflix already lists this title as a "very long wait". :angry:
I love TCM! :emoji_thumbsup:

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Thi Them said:

I suggest recording it in case you happen to fall asleep.
I guess I'm not the only one - I saw the original SOLARIS back in 1976 and all I can remember about it is that it put me to sleep! But I do want to give it another shot, so I'll be watching on Friday night. I'm also going to see the new version on Saturday - in the same theater where I slept through the original!

--Bill

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Is it really going to be on at 9:30? Last time I checked, a movie listed for a certain time ( Bicycle Thief I think) was supposed to be on a Tuesday or something and ended up being on Thursday.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Sometimes they rearrange the schedule. For instance, due to James Coburns' death, TCM aired some of his movies a few days ago, which caused the originally scheduled movies to move elsewhere.

~T

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well since I am unsure to get the new Criterion Edition of Solaris (never seen it), I will watch the TCM airing. Even so I will probably watch the remake as well later on.

DavidDeane

Grip
Thanks for the headsup. I'll set the ol' TiVo to catch this; no need to worry about when or where it will appear, for me. TiVo knows all.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well watch a half hour of the movie and started to get bored. Maybe it my mind wanting to not have to read subtitles after watching Silent Movie before it..or the story just not going anyways...but it was just boring. Save myself 30 dollars then.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Now that was a methodical movie. I liked it well enough, but it did seem that it could have done with some paring down. But it's my understanding that Tarkovsky purposefully made his films this way, so I'll leave it to taste. I probably would have been a little more "into" the film were I not still in a Thanksgiving overeating funk. As it is, I definitely see room for improvement, and it makes me want to see what was done with the current Hollywood release.

Guy_K

Second Unit
I'm in the same boat as Kenneth here. The movie had a real gloomy feeling to it that made me tired. I couldn't really get into it.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
You guys obviously haven't seen Tarkovsky's other film, Andrei Rublev. If Solaris is anything like it, than the overall impact won't hit you until you've had time to dwell on it.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
They should re-air this at at least an hour earlier in the evening. The goings-on are just too slow for almost the first hour for concentrating on so ponderous a film. (The langorous "birds-and-bees" scenes got me.) Normal fatigue sets in and combines with the slow pace of the film to render the (already) tired viewer incapable of sitting through the whole thing.

An 8:00 p.m. beginning airing would be much better.

Re-air!

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
IFC is showing it several times next week. From the website:

TV Schedule Results (Next 30 Days)

Solaris (1972) Sunday, December 01 2002 1:45 PM
Solaris (1972) Monday, December 02 2002 6:00 AM
Solaris (1972) Thursday, December 05 2002 8:00 AM
Solaris (1972) Thursday, December 05 2002 2:45 PM
Solaris (1972) Thursday, December 12 2002 1:45 PM
Solaris (1972) Friday, December 13 2002 7:45 AM

Remember to adjust for your time zone. (The times listed are EST.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tuned into it an hour late by mistake (right after Dr. Kelvin had landed on the space station) and discovered I hadn't missed anything. Fell asleep on the couch around 11 PM EST watching it. Tarkovsky's pacing goes beyond deliberate into downright cruel:)
I do look forward to seeing the Clooney/Soderbergh/Cameron version in the theaters, though. What I saw of the original proved to me that the subject matter could easily be pared down to an 1 and half, I think.
Unfortuneately, those c$#%suckers at Time Warner moved IFC to digital cable only so I can't give it another go at a later date.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Adam,

If you have a view of the southern sky, you can have satellite service for about the same price as standard cable, and get IFC and others.

Feminine while: Tarkovsky’s Solar' flair.

The budget wouldn't cover the cost of a high colonic for George Clooney's press agent's vegan Chef's Astrologer's Personal Trainer's Weimaraner. The subtitles are an interminable wade. The film stock looks like it was pulled through an egg salad sandwich. So what the hell could be the attraction for a thirty year old Russian extrapolation of themes from 2001: A Space Odyssey? Tarovsky couldn't hold Kubrick's jock' right...? Well, climb aboard bucko...

At nearly three hours long, it would be quicker to hop on the Shuttle, zip over to Uranus, and troll for yer own hot, dress dropping, sentient little space shiksa. And in 1972, I'm sure more than one attention span challenged Boris six-pack ran screaming out of the theater and into the white Russian winter to chug Stolie, pinch Babushkas, and plot the overthrow of American capitalism.

As envisioned by author Stanislaw Lem there's this giant watery intelligence on permanent wash/rinse/spin cycle on the planet Solaris. And with all this soggy subterfuge comes the conceit of 'the guest' - a memory made flesh, a cypher, a ghost with gams, an extraterrestrial ex. And she has her own laundry list of 'issues' including; identity angst, pre-destiny, and convulsive resurrective disorder (not to mention a closetful of dresses without zippers.)

And you thought yer old lady was needy. Well, this one's more than a smidge. There ain't nothing keeping this filly fast from your side - not clothes catalogs, not makeup counters, not Haagen-Dazs, and not the Homes section of the 'Sentinel. And if sum stupid Star Trek hatch is in the way - she'll use it for an Emery board (on the bright side, there seems to be more 'hide the salam' going on than in a Kosher Deli.)

Off the chart portentousness. Scene after scene after scene of philosophy, metaphysics, and existentialism - all seemingly leading to emotional crescendo - only to saunter off into still more intellectual/situational conundrum. It's fascinating, stimulating mind candy guaranteed to bore the living crap out of the bang bang, boobs, and banter crowd.

The serpentine blocking of actors within a sequence, peek-a-boo perspective shifts, and discombobulating visual referencing recall the best of 'Bergman. And indeed director Andrei had wanted to cast Swedish actress - and Ingmar mainstay - Bibi Andersson in the role of Hari.

And in the end, your muse and sagacity may find footfalls on Solaris' luminous, mercurial shore.

And she abides with you and within you.

And she abides...

Women...can't live with 'em, can't blast 'em into space...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks