Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Musical Fans

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 07:16 AM

The first Quarter of 2003 will see a flood of classic musical films on DVD.

Universal will release "Sweet Charity" "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and "Zoot Suit" on March 4th. Also a DVD of "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" which will have out takes! (approx. 30 minutes of footage was cut from the film before it's theatrical release)

In April Warner will release: "Kiss Me Kate" "High Society" "Silk Stockings" "Gay Paree" "The Broadway Melody of 1940" & "Les Girls" plus later in the year "Finian's Rainbow" & "Fame"

Anchor Bay was to release "Song of Norway" in the 1st half of 2003. Don't know if it's still on the way.

Columbia is releasing Bing Crobsy in "Pennies From Heaven"

Fox on the other hand has been waiting for the right time to release "All The Jazz" "Hello, Dolly!" and "The Rose" - I really don't know what they're waiting for, the market now seems to be flooded after less then a dozen musical DVD releases over the last two years.

Could the release of the film "Chicago" be triggering the sudden output?

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 07:27 AM

Cool, can't wait to get my hands on some of these.

Thanks for the info. Posted Image

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,308 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 07:50 AM

I hope Universal's release of Sweet Charity and Thoroughly Modern Millie are the full roadshow versions with overture, intermission, entractes and exit music.

By the way, Zoot Suit is most definitely NOT a musical!

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 11:59 AM

This is all exciting news - both Millie and Sweet Charity had those ten minute "making of" done at the time of the film.
ONly one thiing still missing from Universal - Flower Drum Song - where the hell is it?
I would like to see the follwing announcements from two other studios
Fox - Star, All That Jazz, Hello Dolly, Best Things in Life are Free, 1962 State Fair, With a Song in My Heart, That Lady in Ermine, Moon over MIami, Hello Frisco Hello
Paramount - Lil Abner, Darling Lili ( the uncut version please) and Half a Sixpence.

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,248 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 01:20 PM

Although not strictly a "musical" in the historical sense, I surely hope Warner will get around to the 1981 Herbert Ross version of PENNIES FROM HEAVEN, which features some of the finest choreography since the fifties.

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   PatrickL

PatrickL

Second Unit

• 428 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 02:14 PM

I've been waiting for Sweet Charity, which to my mind has some of Bob Fosse's very best musical staging. I gave away the LD some time ago; annoyingly, only portions of it were letterboxed with the rest (very badly) panned & scanned. However, the LD did include the alternate studio-dictated ending. I hope the dvd has it also.
Quote:
I surely hope Warner will get around to the 1981 Herbert Ross version of PENNIES FROM HEAVEN

So do I!

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted November 26 2002 - 02:36 PM

Joe,
Great minds think as one.

Flower Drum Song, Star, Hello Dolly, Best things in life are free, State Fair(62) That Lady in Ermine, Moon over Miami, Hello Frisco Hello, Li'l Abner, Darling Lili and most certainly Half a Sixpence would all be amongst my first choices.

Let's not forget however, Summer Holiday (mgm, and my number one musical of all time) also, That Night in Rio, Down Argentine Way, The Shocking Miss Pilgrim, Centennial Summer, The Belle of New York and Remastered Anamorphic Special Editions of South Pacific, Carousel, Oklahoma! and The King and I.

In the words of the immortal Ira Gershwin, "Who could ask for anything more ?"

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 02:40 PM

I believe "Darling Lili" is also coming sometime in 2003from Paramount.

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted November 26 2002 - 03:05 PM

!!! IT JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER!!!!

Add to the March Universal releases, a fantastic and exciting list of Musical Double Features, all priced at only $19.95, I believe.

"The Benny Goodman Story" and "The Glen Miller Story"

"Birth of the Blues" and "Blue Skies"

"A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" and "The Emperor Waltz" ( I had already prayed for that one)

"Rhythm on the Range" and "Rhythm on the River"

Can someone please pinch me to make sure I'm not in Heaven.

It's been a long wait, but it looks as if it's all starting to happen Folks.

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   JohnDMoore

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 04:52 PM

I would really think that studios are banking on the release of "Chicago" to trigger new interest in musicals. If it does well, I bet we can see more theatrically.
NONE of which I have a problem with.
-John D. Moore

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor

• 982 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 05:03 PM

>>1981 Herbert Ross version of PENNIES FROM HEAVEN<<

Was that Steve Martin and Bernedette Peters?

Great news with Charity and Millie, I thought the day would never come. Anybody happens to know has Bugsy (the kids musical) been put on DVD ?

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 07:58 PM

GIGI! Is anyone satisfied with the DVD of GIGI? I'm under the impression that its "surface noise" problem is svere, and it needs an audio restoration.

PS I'm, also on the list for FLOWER DRUM SONGPosted Image

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Brendon

Brendon

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted November 26 2002 - 11:59 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Silk Stockings at last! Ah, Ninotchika...

Hopefully this is the first trickle of the era's great musicals.

Wonderful new indeed.

Bren

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 03:39 AM

I'm still hoping for THE BAND WAGON and 16:9 reissues of SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS and BRIGADOON from Warner.
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 07:56 AM

re: Gigi

It's an early DVD release and not the best ever. Yeah, there is quite a bit of noise and the transfer could undoubtedly be improved upon. I'd be down for a rebuy if WB could see fit to release one.

I will say though that the current DVD remains quite watchable...and it's a chance to see this beautiful movie OAR at least.

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,668 posts

Posted November 27 2002 - 02:20 PM

"It's Always Fair Weather" is one I would look forward to seeing on DVD. Since Warner has been doing good for a while now, I imagine this will be an OAR release. Stanley Donen makes magnificent use of widescreen...that, and the musical numbers are a pip. You haven't seen a great musical number until you've seen Gene Kelly performing "I Like Me" and (get this) *TAP-DANCING ON ROLLER SKATES*. Boffo, socko stuff.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Comden and Green's lyrics are excellent, as well.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,248 posts

Posted November 29 2002 - 11:30 PM

The emerging pattern seems to be that Warner Bros. puts out a spate of musicals about every other year, so we may have to wait two more years for THE BAND WAGON, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, etc. Oh, well - there are far more DVD's out there I want than I can buy as it is.

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted November 30 2002 - 12:59 AM

Well Dick, that's not neccesarily so:

This year Warner released gorgeous DVDs of CALAMITY JANE, THE HARVEY GIRLS, VICTOR/VICTORIA and the sensational restoration of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. In April 2003, we are getting BROADWAY MELODY OF 1940, FAME, HIGH SOCIETY, KISS ME KATE, LES GIRLS, and SILK STOCKINGS. Even if there are no more for 2003, 2004 is only 13 months away, and you are likely on target for that period when the restorations heard to be in process for BAND WAGON, EASTER PARADE, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, SWING TIME & TOP HAT, etc. will probably emerge...all with the outstanding quality that we have come to love from Warner. Now if only the single disc editions weren't in those flimsy snappers......!

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 03:02 AM

It seems almost all the studios are releasing a flood of musical films this quarter (Most likely due to the theatrical release of "CHICAGO"

MGM has added a bunch of 80's musicals

A Chorus Line
Lambada: The Forbidden Dance
Beat Street
Rappin'
Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo
Absolute Beginners
Roadie

As well as a deluxe box set of "West Side Story"
And Warners has added the animated musical "Gay Paree"

So much for an original thought in Hollywood

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted January 07 2003 - 04:41 AM

Just lovin' those musicals. I too am hoping for 16x9 Fox remasters for King & I, Oaklahoma, South Pacific along with WB 16x9 remasters for 7 Brides and Brigadoon.

Still waiting for Hello Dolly (Fox!!!) and Meet Me In St. Louis (MGM/WB!)

-dave Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.